Match Thread Sheffield United v. Manchester City - 21st Jan 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
MANC
MANC
MANC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin

1579518367570.png v. 1579518373767.png
EPL Week 24 - Tuesday 21st January 2020 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-manchester-city.488/

Officials:

Referee:
Lee Mason
Assistant Referee: Simon Long
Assistant Referee: Nick Hopton
Fourth Official: Peter Bankes
Video Assistant Referee: Andy Madley
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Darren Cann

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 11.08.01.png

Hendo has great

JoC was our best outfield player (dodgy dive aside)
Midfield struggled a bit but not exactly surprising considering
Bash and Norwood error prone

We matched City for long periods which is a great credit to the manager and team. Too many silly errors though and bad choices with attempted tackles. Our final balls were largely poor and decisions not much better. Still, we played against one of the most dangerous attacks in the world and didn't get overrun. Need to push out a bit more though as we let them get in the box too easily.

Still, creditable. Despite not really creating anything.

We were sloppier than usual on the ball today, but can’t really complain too much with the performance. While we clearly missed pace up front, I thought the front two were very good. Sharp’s best minutes of the season, and McBurnie won absolutely every near him. Such a shame we didn’t finish that excellent move just before the City goal.

Special mention too for Baldock for visibly being at the brink of going berserk and getting sent off but holding down the anger. Again just before the goal, being clear body checked but being honest enough to keep on his feet. Every one of the City players would have tumbled to the ground and got a free kick.

Oh and Henderson from behind the Kop looked comfortably off his line for the pen. But frankly given some of the City theatrics tonight, I don’t care.

I know I’ll sound like an ungrateful cunt but I’m glad when these games are over against the top two as to be honest I’ve been bored. Nothing against the players, manager etc who have given their all. I’d rather play the mid table teams as we are more evenly matched which produces a more exiting game. I know I’ll get some shit but it’s just an honest opinion.

I know I’ll sound like an ungrateful cunt but I’m glad when these games are over against the top two as to be honest I’ve been bored. Nothing against the players, manager etc who have given their all. I’d rather play the mid table teams as we are more evenly matched which produces a more exiting game. I know I’ll get some shit but it’s just an honest opinion.
I know what you mean. Ive been used to see us playing free flowing football and dominating possession. You just know against city and Liverpool that it’s going to be backs to the wall and feeding offs scraps. Not going to complain though

that penalty miss by jesus was dreadful. i bet he was crucified by pep at half time after that 😄

ill get my coat :tumbleweed:

Took my old man on the kop today as an early Birthday present, granted we don't get to go much these days but he loved it, he's been to every ground in the football league following the blades and the look on his face when the GCB was blasting out was priceless, he loved it. Anyway, don't think city outplayed us by any stretch today, as usual the defence were IMMENSE. Really impressed by Billy, Mcb and Besic. One of those games where nothing really goes for you. Helped largely by the wank performance of Lee Mason. But I'm looking at it this way, we've only conceded 6 against Liverpool and Man City over 4 games. Enjoy the ride lads and lasses, up the Blades 🔴⚪🔴

But they'll fail to mention that the stuttering penalty kick was outlawed years ago.

I thought that under the current rules it was still ok, providing that you’re not in striking distance of the ball and that it’s a continuous forward motion? or was it illegal on those grounds (yet to see a replay)?

Early view from submitted via email...

"Not been able to post tonight after the match. Have registered but not in time to get approved to post. Please share this with your fans:

I am a Man City fan and just wanted to say what a great game you gave us tonight. I don’t normally blow smoke up the oppositions arse but I thought tonight Sheffield Utd were great. You played with heart and pride and could have easily got 1 or 3 points tonight if the rub of the green went differently

Yes we have Aguero and that makes a difference, but it could have gone either way tonight.

Anyway, the reason I am posting is that I thought it was a fucking disgrace the way BT Sports treated Chris Wilder! They had him out to parade him like a pantomime show pony asking him to slag off his own players and letting him know how they could have done better!!!

Well I have watched both Michael Brown and Owen Hargreaves play for City and it takes the piss that they think they have the right to comment on football in the same arena as Wilder who is a fantastic ambassador for the sport.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season (not that you need it).

Thanks go in peace!

MCFC"

Thought Wilders interview was excellent tonight. Exactly how I think 90% of our fans saw it (not the 5 lads behind me in the pub after slagging McBurnie off though)

Thought Wilders interview was excellent tonight. Exactly how I think 90% of our fans saw it (not the 5 lads behind me in the pub after slagging McBurnie off though)

Not sure if you’re referring to the BT one (yet to see it) but if it’s the RS one I thought it was excellent. He’s usually good anyway, but this one was particularly good in not just giving praise to people where deserved (best game I’ve seen McBurnie have for us for example) but also tackling some of the bullshit spouted by others on a number of issues. Thought that was epitomised by his total defence and support of John Lundstram in what he said at the end of it.

I thought that under the current rules it was still ok, providing that you’re not in striking distance of the ball and that it’s a continuous forward motion? or was it illegal on those grounds (yet to see a replay)?
Yep. Think that's why var didnt give retake.

Not sure if you’re referring to the BT one (yet to see it) but if it’s the RS one I thought it was excellent. He’s usually good anyway, but this one was particularly good in not just giving praise to people where deserved (best game I’ve seen McBurnie have for us for example) but also tackling some of the bullshit spouted by others on a number of issues. Thought that was epitomised by his total defence and support of John Lundstram in what he said at the end of it.

Yeah the RS one. Can't believe what I'm reading and hearing in admittedly small quarters regarding McBurnie. I just don't see the game the same as they do clearly. Luckily Wilder is on my side!

His overall talk about Lunny and JOC was superb. He obviously knows what certain people are saying so great for him to basically shut down all the nonsense.

Just watched the BeIN one on their Twitter. Great interview from Wilder, on Pep: “well he ant won the North East Counties has he?”

might have lost. but we played great competed very well probably a rarity for them as they are used to sides outside the big 6 10 men behind the ball as bournemouth are most recently famous for it. we caused a team thats been breaking records for fun last 2 seasons with 197pts alot of problems & but for mm off mcburnie toe couldve won it. how De Bruyne celebrated at FT with a fist pump shows how tough that game was for them

ive been going on for months when people say i was being too pessimistic on blades chances in these 2 games. but KDB can find anyone on sixpence. no complaints when the best central midfielder in the world sets up best striker in the premier league. you just go fair play. i know few sats poor defending but i think it was great movement or as the case was no when to stand still. Huge case to say that was Henderson best PL game for us. outstanding constantly kept us in it & i said at HT if he isnt man of the match its biggest injustice of the season & is it realistic to say he could be no1 at euro 2020. Mcburnie again very good but that last 30 mins he just looked knackered.

overall to almost average a point a game in that nightmare 6 game spell that we just finished is a great achievement. does give us a great platform

Anyone slagging McBurnie off after tonight's performance clearly has an understanding of the game of football which is on a par with their understanding of Newton's Theory of Approximation and Early Byzantine Art . :)

Back
Top Bottom