Match Thread Sheffield United v. Liverpool - 28th Sept 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
LIV
LIV
LIV
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1569585379131.png v. 1569585388008.png

EPL Week 7 - Saturday 28th September 2019 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-liverpool.471/

Officials:

Referee:
Anthony Taylor
Assistant Referee: Gary Beswick
Assistant Referee: Adam Nunn
Fourth Official: Oliver Langford
Video Assistant Referee: David Coote
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2019-09-27 at 12.53.38.png

We'll most likely lose. There's probably more chance of 0-4 than 1-1 even. But you never know. Weird stuff can happen if your keeper has a blinder, the opposition miss a couple, you put in a good performance and you take your chances. 2-1 😂😂

COYRAWW

I think we're going to limit Liverpool to a handful of chances. But with that front 3, a handful of chances could still end up been 3 or 4 nil.

Probably the best ever front 3 in the Prem. All would walk into any team in the world. Firminho is the cleverest player I've seen since Bergkamp.

Well after that shambles midweek, which the less said about the better, it's back to the serious action with the visit of Liverpool. I'm sure prior to each visit of Liverpool the opposition are hopeful that they'll be the one to dent their run. I'm hopeful of course but not remotely confident...

But it's 11v11 and if lady luck happens to be on our side and Liverpool play the worse they have for years ;) then who knows...? Lol

So...

Any team news? :)

Presumably we revert to the side that last played opposition from Liverpool :)

Though perhaps Jags is unlikely to be getting a cameo this time?

Mousset to start or a better option from the bench?

Needless to say both Manchester City and Liverpool will beat most of the sides that we are effectively competing against. Obviously now and again surprise results happen such as Norwich beating Manchester ;) (deservedly) but on the whole defeat this Saturday will not particularly impact our season unless Liverpool suddenly collapse and the 'less fancied' sides start getting results against them - unlikely. So without being pessimistic, more realistic, I see a 3 nil defeat. Heart wants to say we get a positive result, and in some ways even a slim defeat would give us confidence. Avoiding a cricket score is important, but if that's the mood the opposition are in I'm not sure what we could do about it. Massive quality throughout their team. Will our effort be enough?....

We'll see.

UTB

🐧 🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧🐧

surprise home lead 1-0 at the start of the game, and then the onslaught will come. Can we hold our own? Probably not (Mane vs Bash springs to mind).

We seeiously need to avoid injuries in this match too, yes give it our all, but we are 1 cb injury from a crisis

I don’t think it’s the effort of our players being enough that people need to worry about, if we show the quality of play that we all know we have then we’ll give them more than a game, a quality that I don’t think we’ve shown this season just yet.

Some fun facts in today's paper:

In all of the PL this season, only Chelsea's Jorginho has hit more passes into the final third than Norwood. Who's in third place? Dean Henderson.

Who has won most the aerial duels? J O'C followed by Virgil van Dijk.

Really like this post. How come you support the Blades then mate? Of all the teams in England that a bloke growing up in a small Polish village could choose...why us? I can understand why someone in that situation may choose to support one of England's top 6 clubs, but Sheffield United? m fascinated to know why?
It's a strange one. I've got a Bulgarian mate here in a small town who is a huge Blade's fan. Roughly from the Deane Agana era. He can rattle off a lot of history from that time on. And some before. He fell in love with united due to us being the underdogs when we got back to back promotions under Bassett.
That was around the time of the fall of communism hence allowing at last the ability to get TV to some degree from the west and more so radio. He doesn't speak a word of English though lol

I'd go....

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Lundstram Norwood Fleck Stevens
Freeman
Mousset

Assuming McGoldrick's not fit, who I'd put in for Freeman.

Stay in the game, offer some threat and make them work for it.

If we play Robinson and McBurnie up front then I don't know how we expect to trouble them. They'll look hopelessly out of their depth given the lack of support we're so keen to give them. And even with more support..... they're up against Dick van Dick and the rest.

I expect a respectable 2-0 defeat.

Plenty of lovable scousers in the home end.

We are up against one of the top two teams in the world today, maybe the best one.

A point or better would just about be the best result we have achieved since we last won the FA Cup in 1925.

It's a strange one. I've got a Bulgarian mate here in a small town who is a huge Blade's fan. Roughly from the Deane Agana era. He can rattle off a lot of history from that time on. And some before. He fell in love with united due to us being the underdogs when we got back to back promotions under Bassett.
That was around the time of the fall of communism hence allowing at last the ability to get TV to some degree from the west and more so radio. He doesn't speak a word of English though lol

I worked in a mining town for 3 months called Bobov Dol early eighties. Left my Blades shirt with a mate I made (great people BTW who had fuckall). The guy had learned English by 'spying' on American military transmissions whilst in the army.

Hope he's watching today to see a tight 1-0 Blades win COYRAWW!!

The team basically picks itself, I guess. Clarke on the bench though :rolleyes:

Decided to watch this in a local pub, I have 2 wishes; that it's not full of bellends and that the game is good and even enough for me to watch all the way through. Wish me luck!

I'll have personal- family derby. My father is very very Liverpool F.C. fan (over 40-years of experience. You can imagine, that in the 80's we had a first video recorder in all Province because my father had a friend who was a pilot and provided to him (directly from England) video cassettes with Liverpool games..., the video recorder... it was most expensive purchase in that decade). I'm happy for the next reason. The match will be broadcasted in Polish TV live (very first time this season). We'll meet at my house (the Blades area), drink chilled vodka and support our teams. A personal-family derby at very small Polish village. Who will be the ruler?

Twoje zdrowie

I'll have personal- family derby. My father is very very Liverpool F.C. fan (over 40-years of experience. You can imagine, that in the 80's we had a first video recorder in all Province because my father had a friend who was a pilot and provided to him (directly from England) video cassettes with Liverpool games..., the video recorder... it was most expensive purchase in that decade). I'm happy for the next reason. The match will be broadcasted in Polish TV live (very first time this season). We'll meet at my house (the Blades area), drink chilled vodka and support our teams. A personal-family derby at very small Polish village. Who will be the ruler?
Poles apart?
I had two polish uncles, passed away now. Bless em, Lovely fellas.

Feel sorry for Deano. Love the guy to bits. But sad truth is he didn't have alot to do today and unfortunately cost us a point (we probably deserved) when he was needed most.

Great effort. The defence were magnificent. Midfield were great and sloppy and the forwards didn't really have a sniff but all put a shift in.

We were so well organised and play so well as a unit. It did mean we surrendered too much of the ball and little stuck upfront.

Heroic efforts all round but far, far too many mistakes.

Great effort. The defence were magnificent. Midfield were great and sloppy and the forwards didn't really have a sniff but all put a shift in.

We were so well organised and play so well as a unit. It did mean we surrendered too much of the ball and little stuck upfront.

Heroic efforts all round but far, far too many mistakes.

But... Do you realise the opponents are perhaps the best team in the world? Mistakes will be made, more so against the better teams as they give you less time on the ball.

This is why I love this team at the moment.

Here I am, genuinely gutted, that we didn't manage to beat the champions of europe. Not relieved that we didn't get humiliated or concede a cricket score. Not pissed off that we didn't manage to scrape a point or hold out and defend for 90 minutes. Gutted that we didn't manage to win it because fuck me we could have and done so quite convincingly.

But... Do you realise the opponents are perhaps the best team in the world? Mistakes will be made, more so against the better teams as they give you less time on the ball.

We've conceded 4 goals from mistakes this season. Twice as many as any other team.

The mistakes we made today were mainly sloppiness, not under pressure. We made 6 or 7 really bad mistakes and created several chances for them. It's not good enough if we want to stay up. We're making them every week and largely getting lucky. You can put all the effort in the world in, train hard and work brilliantly as a unit, but one individual error will lose you a game.

Remember today in 2023, it was the day power changed hands.

Horrible way to lose. Is becoming a bit of a pattern now though. Don’t take any of numerous excellent chances created and then get done due to a completely avoidable individual error. Should have been at least a point though and am incredibly proud of the lads.

This is why I love this team at the moment.

Here I am, genuinely gutted, that we didn't manage to beat the champions of europe. Not relieved that we didn't get humiliated or concede a cricket score. Not pissed off that we didn't manage to scrape a point or hold out and defend for 90 minutes. Gutted that we didn't manage to win it because fuck me we could have and done so quite convincingly.

Nail, head - bang on mate

Fucking incredible performance! We just need to learn how to clear the ball properly so it doesn’t set the oppo up for volleys 😂

Egan Fleck Norwood McBurnie fuck it everyone was class but Stevens is a world class left back. 😍

Back
Top Bottom