Match Thread Sheffield United v. Carlisle United - 10th August 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
CARL
CARL
CARL
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1628585059581.png V. 1628585065822.png
Carabao Cup Round One - Tuesday 10th August 2021 - 19:45 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-carlisle-united.598/

Officials:

Referee:
James Oldham
Assistant Referee: Daniel Woodward
Assistant Referee: Anthony Da Costa
Fourth Official: Andrew Kitchen

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Just got back, no none of the young lads are ready for the first team yet. The big lad at the back struggled last 20 mins , mainly though cus he was tired. But a more physical and mobile striker would cause him nightmares. Tyler smith was the pick of the young players. Brewster player quite well overall and of course scored! Norrington davis was average to say the least. Bogle has great skill but is too causal, needs a rocket up his arse! Still nice to get a win but they had a couple of sniffs near the end Verips looked dodgy as fuck . Kept doing some dumb passing out from the back that put the defenders in trouble. Besides that it was great!
Bang on.

Spoke to Tyler's cousin after the game and told him I thought he was the stand out.

I thought first half we played some really good football should have been two or three up. Second half deteriorated and in the end glad to get a 1-0 win. Apart from the last ten minutes they barely threatened.

Not gonna slate him too much, purely because he scored and got off the mark. However, fuck me, Brewster had about 3 chances from edge of the box, might’ve scored one if we were playing rugby. Utterly shite from any sort of distance.

I thought it was a frustrating game - lots of sideways and backwards passing. Mcburnie looked like he couldn’t be arsed. Zac Brunt and young Smith looked really good. I thought Jebbison would make it a bit more exiting when he came on but didn’t do much.

I can't ever remember a decent league cup first round game - not surprised some didn't play their best. No one cares about the league cup (apart from Wednesday last century). Compared to some results we've done well.
This game should (and probably was) treated like a pre-season game which we so desperately needed.

Freeman is not the answer I’m afraid. We definitely need some fresh legs bringing into the midfield. He looks over weight still. Really disappointing because I have always rated him as a player. I think he now past his best . Saying that he kept at it and did try to make things happen but nothing really came off

I thought it was a frustrating game - lots of sideways and backwards passing. Mcburnie looked like he couldn’t be arsed. Zac Brunt and young Smith looked really good. I thought Jebbison would make it a bit more exiting when he came on but didn’t do much.
Thought that was a bit harsh on Mcburnie, I think he did try and put himself about but is not up to speed yet.

Completely disagree with above comments about Freeman.
His corners were much more dangerous than any Fleck has delivered in the last year and could have led to 2 or 3 goals. He was tidy, kept the ball well and progressed us up the pitch. Not sure what others were watching. He's played very little football in the last year, and will get better.
I'd swap him for Jimmy Fleck until something resembling John resurfaces.

Very average at best against a side as bad as Donny, Brewster finally scored a simple tap in after a shocking piece of goalkeeping.
I can see 20 odd thousand going mad at the constant possession that almost always finishes up back with our keeper.
Very little to excite the crowd and no shots on target second half, Brewster had two efforts first half that were both 10 yds off target.
Brought McB, Jebbo and Norwood on but still no improvement.Youngsters tried but nowhere near ready for 1st team.Big centre half nearly scored with good headers and won a lot in the air but understandably ran out of steam. We can only beat what's in front of us but that was very disappointing.

First half totally in control with 3 at the back. Sharp was Sharp and brought energy to the front line. Brewster scored at last after Sharps effort was saved. Not sure if it was 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 as it was hard to work out where Smith was playing. Brunt looked tidy in midfield. Second half Sharp went off and we lost his energy and looked poorer for it. On 65 minutes we went to four at the back with Norwood coming on and looked even poorer. Smith and Gordon who were replaced had done well.
The build up play became slower and we faffed around in midfield creating hardly anything against an abject Carlisle who never threatened our goal all match. Last 10 minutes we reverted to hoofing it from the back.

Lopata was excellent organising the back three and won all his headers. He did tire towards the end but he looks capable of being the cover we need for Egan. Very composed on the ball and some good passes out wide to Bogle setting up attacks. Smith was busy and has a good turn of pace and Brunt whilst also running out of steam kept going to the end. Verrips doesn't look 6 foot 5 whereas Jebbinson looks a unit at the same height. Verrips has a huge kick on him.

Norrington Davies looked leggy and got turned a few times by the Carlisle wide men. He did however put in 2 or 3 very good first time crosses. Not sure what has happened to Lowe, was he on the bench? We had a real problem against Brum at LB. Osborn's lack of inches is a concern but ND didn't look up to replacing him tonight.

Freeman is carrying too much weight and did run down a few blind alleys but was forward thinking in his play. His corners are far superior to Fleck and Norwoods.

Not sure tonights team will have any impact on first team selection for Swansea as they all looked like they need more minutes under their belts. That is a huge concern as the Robinson/Osborn combo is a serious weak link.

Might be in the vast minority here but I thought brunt was actually pretty average. Get that he's a young lad and I'm in no way writing him off but thought there were a number of times he gave it away sloppily, got caught out of position and near the end was playing more and more aimless balls over the top to nobody.

Think he definitely needs to be out on loan by end of the window to get some of the rough edges smoothed out

Lack of goals was (as always) a bit of a worry. Carlisle had a simple plan, hoof it to the two big, fast lads at the front. Bash didn't rove forward as much, as has been said, maybe under instruction. Lopata is an absolute unit, from where i was sitting he looked bigger than Egan and Harry Maguire. He is not the finished article, but if you need some muscle on the pitch, get this lad on. He reminded me of Egan, in how he moves and runs.

Not overly convinced by the young lads, but they showed good stuff in small patches. Smith has some good pace on him, RND not too bad, played a few great, low, crosses in, the type that curl round defenders and into the path of forwards. We played most of the stuff down the other flank, to Bogle. Brunt not too bad.

Brewster was the best player on the pitch by a mile. The goal obviously helped his confidence and he played some really interesting passes, not all came off, but you could see his vision and what he was wanting to happen.

Oli McB, too many scuffed passes and tripping over his own feet, but he does cause problems. Billy Sharp gave it all, as always.

I thought Freeman was much better with corners than Norwood.

Anyway, the main thing, we won. If Brewster brings this to every game from now on, he will win a lot of fans over.

He'll make it a bit more exiting if he goes on loan. 😇

Lopata was excellent organising the back three and won all his headers...

... Osborn's lack of inches is a concern but ND didn't look up to replacing him tonight.
I know I've cut out most of the content here, but just wanted to use these couple of statements to suggest a back four of Lopata and Egan in the middle, Baldock at right back and Jackie Longthrow at left back. Not the most exciting option, but possibly a solid defensive unit.

Was it the longest ever ovation for a goal scorer after a goal? It went right through to the game restarting!
I thought that, was a nice touch to be fair.

Overall it was a decent workout I thought, little more. First half lots more promising than the second. Obvious that some of these young lads have promise, whether I'd trust any of them yet is another matter but out of all of them you can tell Smith has played most at senior level - thought he looked particularly lively and offered a good link between midfield and the front line. He's got great energy and an ability to cover ground/hassle/press which is something I think we lack. I never thought he'd make it here but he's different to anything we've got at the moment.

Lopata was strong and steady. Not sure how he'd fare with someone running at him and never really got chance to see that side of his game yesterday but certainly promising.

Brunt was steady if unspectacular - albeit I can see Slav liking his ability to get on the half turn and take the ball in difficult situations. He certainly outshone Norwood when he entered the field.

Felt a little bit sorry for Kyron playing on the left side of a three when he's quite clearly used to playing on the right. Made things tricky for him distribution wise. Good athlete though albeit small for a centre half.

The rest were much of a muchness. Brewster was pretty decent but blazed 3 or 4 wide but so good to see him bag at last. RND looked leggy second half, looked well off the pace to me but offers a much better delivery than Stevens does. Bash, McB, Freeman also well off the pace but to be expected. Need a bit more zip in our play at times albeit could be a confidence thing to be honest and knowing where their teammates should be - a few still seem confused at times. To me these last two matches merely enforce the opinion that we desperately need some fresh blood ASAP.

Saturday evening could be dull I fear. Two teams still finding their feet under new managers, both of whom love to dominate possession. Lets hope we can edge it.

Blimey just watched the extended highlights. I listened to the match, and it looked like a different team watching them. It basically was but we played through the middle and actually looked to play some good football. So contrasting to the last match.

When a back line doesn't concede it's done it's job. Interested to see how this playing out across the back line with the goalie like an 11th outfield player works out. When Arsenal came to the Lane and did this we gave them a hard time and at times it was a bit gittery. If a decent team come with a strong press we may be forced into mistakes.

Agree that all the new faces were decent, Freeman made an effort to boss midfield in the first half and can beat the first defender with a cross. Norwood was poor when he came on.

The crowd celebrated Brewster's goal as much as he did. Glad he's off the mark. Some good touches but as others have noted other shots were woeful.

What I dislike about games like this is that a couple of bus loads of fans from Smalltown FC come to the Lane and out sing us.

When a back line doesn't concede it's done it's job. Interested to see how this playing out across the back line with the goalie like an 11th outfield player works out. When Arsenal came to the Lane and did this we gave them a hard time and at times it was a bit gittery. If a decent team come with a strong press we may be forced into mistakes.

Agree that all the new faces were decent, Freeman made an effort to boss midfield in the first half and can beat the first defender with a cross. Norwood was poor when he came on.

The crowd celebrated Brewster's goal as much as he did. Glad he's off the mark. Some good touches but as others have noted other shots were woeful.

What I dislike about games like this is that a couple of bus loads of fans from Smalltown FC come to the Lane and out sing us.
The last time I saw Freeman play I think was at Reading in the FA Cup replay season before last. We win 2.1 and he set Billy up for the winner with a perfect run to the line and ball into the box. He definitely deserves a run in place of Fleck who hasn't had a good game since when?

I t

Crowd must have been shocked into silence at watching a decent game for once. I agree about Freeman, at this early stage players need to be given a chance to grab the regular place. If a player isnt upto scratch and some else can step in Slav needs to give them the opportunity as its meant to be a clean slate. If Norwood is doing the same rubbish he did last season he needs dropping.

Back
Top Bottom