2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Burnley - 5th November 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BUR
BUR
BUR
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1667590605846.png vs. 1667590611628.png

Championship Week 20 - Saturday 5th November 2022 - 12:30 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-burnley.624/

Officials:

Referee: Darren Bond
Assistant Referee: Philip Dermott
Assistant Referee: Mark Stevens
Fourth Official: Oliver Langford

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1667590521796.png

📺
Live TV Coverage (to be updated):

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 19.35.51.png

I‘m feeling a bit touchy about people on here saying we were lucky today.

Anyone care to explain the difference between “luck” and ”fine margins”?

In my book if a players aims to score in the bottom corner and the ball goes the wrong side of the post it’s a fine margin, neither “unlucky” nor “incompetent”.

Same applies if a lino can’t see a ball flick on a player‘s leg or a toenail on or offside. It’s not incompetence or lucky it’s a fine margin.

What was (un)lucky about JLT trying to head Benson’s shot clear and deflecting it into the top corner? Despite what some on here would have us believe it wasn’t incompetence or unlucky it was a fine margin.

In my book, football is all about fine margins not luck.

Cracking performance from Hecky and the lads today and more like the pre international break Blades.

Felt for JLT for their second goal but credit to him for coming back with a goal and those throws were a real threat.

Zero to hero award has to go to Olly Mac though. Unstoppable right now.

Seems like our transfer budget has gone to refs this season :D just kidding, but we have had some favour calls in recent games. Todays score would had been win either way.

I'm so happy that Robibson got involved on 3rd and 4th goals after shocking first half happenings.

It looked liked we found their cryptonite and held them in ropes on the second. Must be enormous morale boost for whole team. Well done!

We were really lucky there
In fact after robinson gifted them their second goal (after his first gift of an own goal ) i remember thinking to myself how lucky we had been in the game

In my book if a players aims to score in the bottom corner and the ball goes the wrong side of the post it’s a fine margin, neither “unlucky” nor “incompetent”.

Same applies if a lino can’t see a ball flick on a player‘s leg or a toenail on or offside. It’s not incompetence or lucky it’s a fine margin.

What was (un)lucky about JLT trying to head Benson’s shot clear and deflecting it into the top corner? Despite what some on here would have us believe it wasn’t incompetence or unlucky it was a fine margin.

All those saying "Baldock was offside, and lucky to get a corner, and Anel was offside" ....need to read this.. over and over again!
It's all about fine margins, if the ref & the lino can't see it how does anybody on here see it ffs!

Of course it's luck. On another day they get disallowed. On other days they go against us. On another day the opposition gets the luck. Robinson's is a misjudgement. That's a mistake.

We deserved to win today but lady luck was on our side. She's with is at the moment but it tends to even itself out.

Burnley looked decent in an even first half,but we were unlucky to go in behind.
Absoutely deserved that.. outworked and outplayed them 2nd half.. Great to see JLT redeem himself, showed character.. Norwood, McB were outstanding,and plenty of other good performances.. Big result as could have gone 9 points behind them with a defeat.

An even more self indulgent Blog than usual. Mainly explaining why this award winning beer blog doesn't have any beer in it. (Also - no awards either).

I trust those of you slating Jack Robinson throughout the match thread now feel utterly withered. Blaming him for both Burnley goals was utterly unjust. The first he attempted to clear and was very unlucky to see it creep into the side of the net. The second was probably a combination of both a dubious throw out by Wes, and Jack's 'rustiness' having only just returned from injury. Overall, Jack contributed enormously to today's epic win - not just his goal, but his overall performance and, especially, his long throws. I'm guessing those of you slagging him off were judging him following the match on tv. I saw what happened from the vantage point of the kop.

Thought Burnley looked good, then I realised they were more about style over substance.
Some nice possession play and nice passing but our goalie had very little to do and Robbo gifted them their 2 goals.
Burnley do deserve credit for not time wasting, very little gamesmanship and playing an attacking open game.
Their not losing in 16 matches made them confident but probably over confident, which helped us.

Regards us we totally bullied them, like men playing boys.
We're hardly a giant team but it was noticeable how they seemed to have some short arses in their team.
Taking corners and Jack Robinson's long throw-ins gave us a real threat, it almost felt like cheating.
Really pleased for Robinson, what a roller coaster of emotions

Hero to zero back to hero all within 90 minutes.

We need to be aware of an "after the Lord Mayors show" performance on Tuesday against Rotherham. Today will be for nothing if we fail to win that, so we need to be focussed and expect a tough game on Tuesday night where we have an opportunity to return back to the top of the league.

I trust those of you slating Jack Robinson throughout the match thread now feel utterly withered. Blaming him for both Burnley goals was utterly unjust. The first he attempted to clear and was very unlucky to see it creep into the side of the net. The second was probably a combination of both a dubious throw out by Wes, and Jack's 'rustiness' having only just returned from injury. Overall, Jack contributed enormously to today's epic win - not just his goal, but his overall performance and, especially, his long throws. I'm guessing those of you slagging him off were judging him following the match on tv. I saw what happened from the vantage point of the kop.

The 1st goal was just unlucky, the 2nd was a terrible blunder but shit happens, you get one it and try to make amends.
We were commenting at the match is why are so many professional one footed.
If Robbo had cleared it with his right foot there has been no goal but he let the ball come across his body so he could take it on his left foot. Davies did the same against Norwich, instead of clearing with his left foot, he let the ball come across his body to play it with his right foot giving Pukki time to close him down.

Anyhow even if Robbo hadn't scored, he would still have been an important player for us today.
You could see that Burnley really struggled to cope with his long throws, it was like having a corner but more accurate.

The 1st goal was just unlucky, the 2nd was a terrible blunder but shit happens, you get one it and try to make amends.
We were commenting at the match is why are so many professional one footed.
If Robbo had cleared it with his right foot there has been no goal but he let the ball come across his body so he could take it on his left foot. Davies did the same against Norwich, instead of clearing with his left foot, he let the ball come across his body to play it with his right foot giving Pukki time to close him down.

Anyhow even if Robbo hadn't scored, he would still have been an important player for us today.
You could see that Burnley really struggled to cope with his long throws, it was like having a corner but more accurate.
Thought Robbo was excellent today ... am so pleased to see him back.

Of course it's luck. On another day they get disallowed. On other days they go against us. On another day the opposition gets the luck. Robinson's is a misjudgement. That's a mistake.

We deserved to win today but lady luck was on our side. She's with is at the moment but it tends to even itself out.
Utter shit
Two goals down to an own goal and a catastrophic error but we were lucky

Burnley were lucky ,lucky we didnt get double figures

McBurnie currently sitting on a 9.57 on our match day ratings, which begs the question what is the highest rating a player has received on s24su ratings??

Without checking, I’d guess maybe Clarke v Pigs 2017, Clarke v Hull 2017, Sharp v Villa 2018?

McBurnie currently sitting on a 9.57 on our match day ratings, which begs the question what is the highest rating a player has received on s24su ratings??

Without checking, I’d guess maybe Clarke v Pigs 2017, Clarke v Hull 2017, Sharp v Villa 2018?

Just noticed this, sorry (don't ask :D)...

The highest on record is an average of 9.89 from Didzy vs. Hull in 2019.

There's one rating higher than that in the system, but that's Chris Wilder for the 4-2 at Hillsborough.

The next closest is Wilder v. Ipswich in 2019 and in the same game, Jack O'Connell with a 9.8.

Back
Top Bottom