Match Thread Sheffield United v. Bristol City - 10th February 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BRIS
BRIS
BRIS
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1612610858182.png v.bristol city.png
FA Cup 5th Round - Wednesday 10th February 2021 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-bristol-city.550/

Officials:

Referee:
Robert Jones
Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup
Assistant Referee: Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: Jonathan Moss
Video Assistant Referee: Anthony Taylor
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Stuart Burt

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

liveonsat.png

Lovely gesture from Bristol City by the way...

Well we made hard work if that, but was Bristol City ever in it? Good barometer of where we will be next season, I thought we was a class above, apart from goals.

We ain't finished yet but come on RB lad. Net one for us and you. Goal anytime at 7/2. Backed

Christ mate. Give it to charity. Or tell you what, chuck your stake down the toilet and flush, more chance of making a profit on that than RB scoring based on tonight's showing. And I say that as a Brewster fan.

Lunny is bobbins. Awful game he's had.
He’s had a perfect opportunity to put his mark on the game in the final 20 minutes against a Championship side down to 10 men, but guess what ........ sideways, sideways, backwards.

Half the time he is strolling around just letting the game pass him by. The Premiership midfield players must love marking him - it’s so easy.

I don’t like knocking our players but Lunny just needs to be transferred out. He looks like he doesn’t give a shit.

Well I don’t think it was that bad if I’m honest.....we were a bit slow again however I think we were wasteful up front again.

Brewster needs some coaching. He needs some proper guidance about where to be in the right moments and to anticipate where the ball is going to land. Fortunately, Billy Sharp is one of the very best at that.

Brewster actually reminds me of how Sharp was when he first came back under Robson. Just a little unsure about where to position himself for the way we play. Of course, the difference with Sharp was that he first played under a pissed up Geordie and a tactically inept goalkeeper, as soon as he moved on and played under a manager he used him correctly he scored goals for fun. Plus he’d had a record of scoring goals the previous 2 seasons. Brewster on the other hand doesn’t have that past experience, however he doesn’t look like a 20 odd million pound player, he doesn’t seem to have that strikers instinct at all.....yet.

I don’t understand how it could be argued that it’s not a red. You might as well say you can never get sent off for handball if that’s the case
Maybe in situations like that, the team could choose to give a goal and keep 11 on the pitch or penalty and man off.
Would create a moment of drama as the management team discussed it. You could even throw in an ad break: What will the Robins decide? We'll find out, right after this break from our sponsors. Hawkeye LongLife Batteries. Guaranteed to keep you switched on.

Tonight's made me feel more positive in a weird way.

It's been a boring slog of a match, but we've still looked dominant against one of the stronger sides in their division.
Bodes well for next season.
Bristol had a few changes including reserve keeper and a young Debutante! We were terrible!

Maybe in situations like that, the team could choose to give a goal and keep 11 on the pitch or penalty and man off.
Would create a moment of drama as the management team discussed it. You could even throw in an ad break: What will the Robins decide? We'll find out, right after this break from our sponsors. Hawkeye LongLife Batteries. Guaranteed to keep you switched on.

We can’t even manage VAR let alone introducing some diplomacy bollocks.

Although, we’re probably in a position to introduce an ad break with the amount of time it takes for VAR

Scratching my head about anything positive. I expected us to win, and we won. I expect the bin man to empty the bin on a Wednesday, and he does....so what.

Bristol city are 10th, having won one of their last five games with a goal difference of -4 plus missing a couple of key players.There just a bog standard championship team be under no illusions, playing solid against a side that flirts with playoffs early doors before finishing mid table, is not a precursor to championship success next season. God knows what will happen next season when the division playing field is level and teams actually have a go. Will the championship have VAR next season?

We can’t even manage VAR let alone introducing some diplomacy bollocks.

Although, we’re probably in a position to introduce an ad break with the amount of time it takes for VAR

Sponsorship messages on the TV screen that the Ref views will be next.

"VAR brought to you by Domestos"

We're through against an injury ravished Championship side thank to a pen (although the ball was going in). We made hard work of it and except for a really good 10 minutes before the goal, we were way too slow. We were the better team throughout but There was always a nagging worry that they'd get lucky and back in it. McGoldrick can play the number 10 but he's not zippy enough like Duffy was. needs to be quicker and he has a naturally slightly laboured style. Still, we're through and it was pretty easy.

Ramsdale - 6 - Had next to nothing to do. Pushed an early shot straight out instead of to the side but otherwise steady.
Lowe - 6 Got forward well and you can see him improving with every game. Final ball is well off though. Defensively a bit suspect and made a few mistakes/bad choices. Unlucky to hit the bar but that was a sitter.
Ampadu - 7 - Good game throughout. He needs to take more care with his passing though. Overhits it through lack of concentration all too often
Egan - 7 - Solid. Little to do but did it tidily.
Bash - 6 - Got forward quite well without really causing that much trouble. A bit ponderous a few times at the back
Bogle - 8 - I'm still not convinced defensively, and he almost got caught napping near the end, but he's everywhere going forward. He has been the biggest plus this year.
Fleck - 5 - Poor, I thought. Very slow, clumsy and fouls far too often when not necessary. Played a bit deeper and defended ok
Lundstram - 5.5 - Such a mixed player. Slow and laborious to move the ball and got caught a few times but makes some good runs and offers. Need to put more conviction behind his shots and crosses.
McGoldrick - 7 - Did ok in the number q0 role, moved the ball around but needs to be snappy and drive with conviction. Had a few shots over and one tipped wide. Earned our penalty but should have buried it. He just seems a touch slower than last year. Age, I guess.
Sharp - 7 - Calm penalty and did a lot of running down the side of the back 3. held the ball up well and uses his years of experience in his favour.
Brewster - 4 - Looks lost. He's not making half the runs of a man with many years on him. Never seems to be in the right place. Makes so many bad decisions. Desperately needs a goal as looks like it has got to him.

Subs

Norwood - 4 - Boy oh boy, seemed to do everything wrong. First thing he did when he came on was give the ball away. Our midfield looked distinctly worse with him in it. fouls stupidly and needs to focus
Burke - 5.5 - Danger to come at the end. Had one run and shot when he should have passed and never fills me with confidence.

Wilder - 6.5 - Changed the formation and it kind of worked. We did have dangerous periods and we were the more likely.

Bristol - They have a crazy amount of injuries but I'm surprised they weren't more up for it. They didn't really look dangerous until late on. Kasey Palmer points more than I've seen any other player point. shame he doesn't tackle.

Well we made hard work if that, but was Bristol City ever in it? Good barometer of where we will be next season, I thought we was a class above, apart from goals.

We were better, sure, but was that even Bristol City's strongest side?

They had a 12 year old making his debut at left back. I know that much because it kept getting mentioned on commentary, but I could be confused as I got the impression Tony Field was on the wing for us

ben osborn has to come in at lwb at the london stadium far better than lowe as for bogle hes the shining light this season and has to be worth double the 8m we paid for him

Burke - 5.5 - Danger to come at the end. Had one run and shot when he should have passed and never fills me with confidence.

I don't want to over-sell Burke because there's plenty of things he can't do, but come on... that thing at the end (which was at least on target). There isn't another player in our side who'd even have got to the ball to put it past the keeper in the first place. Swings & roundabouts.

We were better, sure, but was that even Bristol City's strongest side?

They had a 12 year old making his debut at left back. I know that much because it kept getting mentioned on commentary, but I could be confused as I got the impression Tony Field was on the wing for us
12 year old 😆.

Never really looked like losing or that difficult to win. We just lack quality at the top half of the pitch. Not sure what we can do about that. Hoping that if we go down our younger players get that extra confidence in playing worse teams each week compared to Liverpool, Citeh, Manure etc., and can start scoring some goals.

Lunny doesn't hide. He could play everything safe but he tries to do bits. Not a lot comes off but I like his attitude.
You're absolutely right. I said in an earlier post that I thought he was bobbins tonight. He was. I do not subscribe to this ridiculous notion however that he isn't bothered and doesn't try because of this contract thing. He generally always shows for it and shows willing. The problem is he's just not that great.

So Bristol City had loads of injuries. As for Sheffield United they had a fully fit side with absolutely nobody missing.

Back
Top Bottom