2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Blackburn Rovers - FA Cup Quarter Final - 19th March 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BLA
BLA
BLA
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
blackburnrovers.gif

FA Cup Quarter Final - Sunday 19th March 2023 - 12:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-blackburn-rovers.655/

Officials:

Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistant Referee: Timothy Wood
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
VAR: Paul Tierney
AVAR: Richard West

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 22.32.21.png

I thought anel was head and shoulders above everyone else on the pitch personally
First half he seemed to read and intercept everything down his side and was linking up play down that side really well

Although Egan was flawless I thought he had an easy day up against a midfielder who dropped off and let him mop up the space which he did well to be fair

Very professional performance. Lowe and JLT both had good games, MacBurnie was a pain in their arses all game and Iliman dances on ice!

Great away day considering Boro's result.

Huge win today.

4 of our next 5 league games are at home, two of which are against the bottom four. There are never any easy games and especially not when teams are fighting for their lives but that’s a favourable run of fixtures in anyone’s book.

Scrappy game, poor weather, not much in it. We had the best 3 chances though and whilst you could argue a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result we did just enough to win it. It was very far from a classic and we were off our best, but considering it's following an international break it's almost a miracle.

Wes - 7 - Didn't have much to do but was alive when he had to be. You could ague he should have done better on the low cross in the first half but held the injury time shot well and came to claim when needed.
Lowe - 7 - Had a decent game and got better as the game went on. Did well second half to anticipate what they were going to do and get a foot in. Got forward in support and it was his scuffed shot that created the goal.
Robinson - 5.5 - Solid and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Loses a point for that idiotic Cruyff turn which could have cost us 2 points.
Egan - 8 - I thought he was our best player. Solid all game and anticipated and dealt with the threats a lively Norwich forward line had. Covered Anel's ass a couple of times.
Anel - 7.5 - Loves to trot forward but not always the brightest with it. Their penalty shout came from a huge gap he left when he charged forward and lost the ball, Unlucky with the header that hit the bar and not to be booked from a rather erratic and stupid late challenge.
Baldock - 6 - Need to calm down. He was walking a tightrope second half and needs to use his brain more. Got a stupid booking and kept having a go at the ref after diving for a penalty or fouling.
Doyle - 7 - Two really good corners first half which we could have scored from and did a good job of protecting the defence and keeping the ball moving.
Berge - 5.5 - He is so slow in thought and deed. Got booked after being caught napping and slows down every attack. He can pick a good pass and often gets away with his slow trots inside but he need to stop waiting for the ball to reach him and then taking a touch and then looking up and then taking another touch. AAARGGGGGHHH!!!
McAtee - 5.5 - I thought he was our worst player first half. Nothing seemed to come off for him and made a series of bad decisions. Did well to anticipate on the goal and did improve a bit second half.
Ndiaye - 7 - He has such lovely feet and whilst nothing really came off for him today he caused them a lot of headaches and was often our main threat.
McBurnie - 5 - I thought he was poor today. He and Hanley were fouling each other in equal measure all game and the ball seemed to bounce of him. He won little on the ground or in the air and unsurprisingly replaced.

Subs:

Norwood - 7 - Much better when he came on in midfield. Getting his foot in on a number of occasions
Sharp - 7 - Again, we were much better upfront with him on. The ball stuck, he won freekicks and had a great shot on to the post.
Fleck - 6 - Thought he did well to close players down and stop them playing.
Bash - only on for a few minutes but added some energy

Hecky - 8 - It was always going to be a tough game and while Norwich aren't great at home they only narrowly lost games 0:1 to the likes of Sunderland, Watford and Blackburn. We matched them first half but had the better chances and did so again in the second. I thought all his substitutions improved us and deserves a fair bit of praise today.

Norwich - With the players they have you expect more but they really don't seem to have a plan. It's very disjointed and their only shot today was in injury time. I feel they will finish mid table and have a new manager next season. Hanley is a liability for them but I still like Aarons as a player. He has a bit of the furious about him but does well driving them forward down the right.
Norwood 7 and McAtee 5.5.
Strange.

I've seen the weather forecast for tomorrow's match, so I imagine it will be an uninspiring game, but I reckon we'll grind it out and nick it with a contentious McAtee goal. Norwich probably only get aone shot on target. Plus I reckon 'boro will fuck up against Udders, I can see them putting four past them.

I knew it.

win the game in hand be 9 points clear of boro and only 7 to play
goal difference has disappeared

4 wins and puts us 21 ahead if we win the game in hand which sees us uncatchable win 5 and its off to the emirates we go

Always fun to out-shithouse the shithouses.

GTFI.

Huge win today.

4 of our next 5 league games are at home, two of which are against the bottom four. There are never any easy games and especially not when teams are fighting for their lives but that’s a favourable run of fixtures in anyone’s book.
4 of the next 5? Try 5 of the next 6!

I'd certainly rather not go into those last 2 away games needing anything though...

First time I've seen us over 90% on fivethirtyeight (and first for a long time I've seen pigs predicted third on there)
Screenshot_2023-04-01-18-42-37-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Were any of the podders at the game yesterday? I don’t recall them mentioning it. A lot of social media or online writeups, including SUWay seem to think it was a dull match. I thought it was a cracker in the second half, but when you’re enjoying the singing, you can get a skewed view

As non-drinkers at games, me and my 16yo lad rated this as the second best away day of the season, after Blackpool

Back
Top Bottom