2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Birmingham City - 1st October 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BIRM
BIRM
BIRM
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1664482726004.png vs. 1664482734450.png

Championship Week 12 - Saturday 1st October 2022 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-birmingham-city.616/

Officials:

Referee: Darren Bond
Assistant Referee: Philip Dermott
Assistant Referee: Matthew McGrath
Fourth Official: Ben Toner

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1664482864613.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Really scrappy and rusty game. Hate the first game back after an international break. Not convinced by the choice of Khadra at LWB and he looked a bit lost. Equalish first half. We had slightly better of it but they looked so dangerous on the break. Our centre is so soft. They looked more up for it after the break and either side could have won really. There was a warning just before their goal and the 3 CBs were a bit all over the shop, at times. Still, a point isn't the worst result. Great to see Bogle back.

Wes - 6 - Didn't have much to do really.
Khadra - 4 - Not his fault as out of position but failed to see what he offered there. I'd rather we'd swapped Gordon for Anel and not moved anyone else about. He looks like a player who would be great at 5-asisde but doesn't seem to understand shape. Just goes where he feels like going.
RND - 5.5 - Did his idiotic hard man shoving act and generally lost the physical side against Deeney. I can't be easy switching between two positions all the time.
Egan - 5.5 - I thought he looked at fault for their goal. Put 9ina good block but looked flat footed on more than one occasion.
Basham - 5.5 - Tried to get forward but it does look increasingly laboured, with age. Looked to lose his man a couple of times on crosses. Again, not easy switching sides.
Baldock - 6 - Kept going up and down but there was little quality on the final ball. Defended ok but more steady than anything else.
Norwood - 5.5 - Thought he looked impotent at times. He didn't really drive us forward.
Doyle - 6 - Hit and miss. Looks good at time and seems to lose concentration/lose his man at others. Defensive side was poor today.
Berge - 6 - Terribly casual defensively first half. Let Chong run and then dawdled on the ball (as he seems to do a lot) Mixed going forward. Put in a lovely pass for Sharp but also poor on other occasions.
Ndiaye - 5 - Not his day today. Had several chances and every one he put off target. Didn't really link up with McBurnie well but put a shift in. Did his whole aggressive schtick again. No idea why he needs to do it every game.
McBurnie - 6 - Started ok but generally not at his best. Took the goal really well but otherwise seemed to lack sharpness.

Subs:

Bogle - 6 - Daft booking but good to have him back. We looked more dangerous down our left when he came on.
Brewster - 5 - One good run and shot but not a lot else.
Sharp - 6 - Should have done better with the chance but fair play to Ruddy who did really well to put him off.
McAtee 4 - Just don't get what he offers. Seems to lack composure. Not on for long but added nothing.

Hecky - 5.5 - Difficult with so many injuries. I can see why he didn't want Gordon against Deeney or Hogan but I really don't think Khadra worked on the left. Also seemed to unsettled the CBs moving around again. I guess we could easily have won if Ndiaye had been better but it was a fairly even game. We are struggling in the midfield as well as the defence.

Brum - Good to see Eustice get a chance and I thought they did ok, considering. They have some individually skilful players but struggled as a team. I suspect they'll finish top half and maybe even trouble the play-offs.

It still looks like their goal was offside looked like the flick on was from their player
I thought that too but looked like Egan was level with him at the back post smoking a ciggie.
Other posters said it was Berge’s head that flicked it on though. We’ll have to see the replay…..

Basham goes wandering out was he his man?

i didnt think we played badly. i think we just came up against team that played well but you always get some of these in the 46 games but why is it most times the teams that dont need to employ the dark arts as they look dangerous when they concentrate on football. but that 1 mistake cost us because it was like everyone froze lost the ball & of all the people for it to fall to. troy deeney was the worst. although billy sharp will be ruing that miss later. as he should be scoring that

but theyve got to get a grip of the dark arts because even as a neutral its frustrating to watch. i dont know how referee in general are fooled by these players obviously fake injury as 99% they are completely fine are back sprinting within minutes. & if anything its for a safety grounds because the players are putting their fellow players are risk. as in muamba & eriksen scenarios they wont get help they need quickly. as they wont just get lumped in with dark arts.

then on social way, its no surprise that our 1st post match flash point. happened like when someone got knocked out v battle of norwich. has happened today. for me if you go down & trainer comes on you either must be subbed or get a booking if you come back on. as it cheating in no other way

FFS, were never great after an international break, especially as we have so many injuries and weve had so many players out on duty!
Brum played well, we played a patched up team and matched them!
Had Sharp scored, there would be no moaning, but he didnt, and out comes the bollocks!
We played ok for a side suffering with so many injuries, and matched everything Birmingham had.
We move on and hopefully get some good news on players, but if we dont, dont moan IF Norwich are top by the weekend, we need to get through the injuries within touching distance of the top 2, then, when we are at full strength, hopefully we kick on and push for top 2!
Come on Blades!

Boring to watch but a point and we remain top of the league. Bring on Tuesday.

That should have been a 1-0 home win

But we can't and won't keep a clean sheet every time

They were awkward opponents but didn't do enough to deserve that goal

The time wasting was beyond the limit that basic etiquette dictates

PH's subs were OK but I also think we missed McB and Doyle. I think keeping it as it was but Baldock to LWB would have been a better option, maybe just freshening up the front 2

Khadra was as poor as can be, not one moment of spark. Wasted opportunity

Bogle looks in good nick physically, despite some sloppiness. His return is the highlight today

We've dropped points there due to injuries (Anel) but the return of Bogle and Sharp hopefully represents the imminent end of these struggles

Ludicrous to play Khadra LWB ... the lad is an exciting forward thinking unpredictable playmaker without the discipline to keep a defensive shape - dunno what Hecky was thinking

Ludicrous to play Khadra LWB ... the lad is an exciting forward thinking unpredictable playmaker without the discipline to keep a defensive shape - dunno what Hecky was thinking
Apparently they worked with him all week on playing that position.
It’s not an easy one to play and he didn’t do too bad for a first attempt.
Even Bogle had some bad games in that position last season but he looks the part now.
Can’t deny Khadra is at his best running at pace against central defenders though..

Fair result. They stood up to us and earned a point. No harm done as we are still top.

Loving the all new Ollie upfront and great to see Jayden back.

Must win unless what?

This question is for Belvedere Blade also, who agreed with your post.
What do you think?

It doesn’t determine the season but for genuine top two challengers we cannot be picking up two or even one point out of two home games in quick succession where we would be hoping for 6 points. It’s a must win so we are back to winning ways ready for the weekend with a healthy 4 out of 6 points. Thought it was pretty obvious why we need to win and wouldn’t need spelling out.

What do you think?

It doesn’t determine the season but for genuine top two challengers we cannot be picking up two or even one point out of two home games in quick succession where we would be hoping for 6 points. It’s a must win so we are back to winning ways ready for the weekend with a healthy 4 out of 6 points. Thought it was pretty obvious why we need to win and wouldn’t need spelling out.

So it’s a ‘must win’ or we won’t get top 2?

I understand the rest of your rambling in that it’s important for us to win but ‘must win’ it really isn’t.

What's Oli eating for breakfast nowadays?

Might have to get some myself!

Got to hand it to him. He's grafted hard pre season and deserves the goals.

So it’s a ‘must win’ or we won’t get top 2?

I understand the rest of your rambling in that it’s important for us to win but ‘must win’ it really isn’t.
No never said that at all, but if we want top two we need every point we can get especially from home games. It is fairly obvious that the international break did us no favours at all from todays lacklustre display, it’s imperative we win on Tuesday to get back on that roll and go into the weekends away game after a strong win. We cannot get into the mindset of dropped home points is not a big deal, I’m sure Hecky will be telling the players exactly that.

Oh and a must win game is a figure of speech, doesn’t mean the club will collapse if we don’t win, amazing what some folk get their knickers in a twist about on here.

No never said that at all, but if we want top two we need every point we can get especially from home games. It is fairly obvious that the international break did us no favours at all from todays lacklustre display, it’s imperative we win on Tuesday to get back on that roll and go into the weekends away game after a strong win. We cannot get into the mindset of dropped home points is not a big deal, I’m sure Hecky will be telling the players exactly that.

Oh and a must win game is a figure of speech, doesn’t mean the club will collapse if we don’t win, amazing what some folk get their knickers in a twist about on here.

Must win isn’t a figure of speech. Nobody mentioned the club collapsing, did they? Your lack of understanding of basic English isn’t my fault.

Must win isn’t a figure of speech. Nobody mentioned the club collapsing, did they? Your lack of understanding of basic English isn’t my fault.
Yes it is, when you talk of a must win game it is a game of great importance, Tuesday night is a game of great importance so yes saying it’s a must win is reasonable. Now change your fanny pad you weird weird person.

Yes it is, when you talk of a must win game it is a game of great importance, Tuesday night is a game of great importance so yes saying it’s a must win is reasonable. Now change your fanny pad you weird weird person.

A game of great importance doesn’t mean ‘must win’. An understanding of basic English would tell you this.

If you really disagree then answer me this. If we don’t win on Tuesday what happens?

Admin note: Infraction given for personal abuse
A game of great importance doesn’t mean ‘must win’. An understanding of basic English would tell you this.

If you really disagree then answer me this. If we don’t win on Tuesday what happens?
Why do you keep mentioning basic English? It has nothing to do with the English language, is there something wrong with you? As I have already said a must win game is a important game, it’s a figure of speech regarding games, bit like saying a crucial game against a promotion/relegation rival is a 6 pointer, we know you don’t get 6 points buts it’s a figure of speech, your just being a complete bellend.

As for Tuesday heads could drop after two poor performances if we don’t win who knows, we could lose that momentum and points could start slipping away, so yes for confidence, to keep up momentum and keep the pressure on the other top teams a win on Tuesday is crucial.

I won’t be answering you again as your weird as fuck, took offence to “must win” but didn’t reply to give your point of view as to why it isn’t a must win you basically wanted an explanation from me without giving your point of view, not only that but you tagged Belvedere blade and basically summoned him to explain to you why he liked the post, seriously weird as fuck. Get a life mate it’s just a msg board and stop being so weird. Bye.

Really scrappy and rusty game. Hate the first game back after an international break. Not convinced by the choice of Khadra at LWB and he looked a bit lost. Equalish first half. We had slightly better of it but they looked so dangerous on the break. Our centre is so soft. They looked more up for it after the break and either side could have won really. There was a warning just before their goal and the 3 CBs were a bit all over the shop, at times. Still, a point isn't the worst result. Great to see Bogle back.

Wes - 6 - Didn't have much to do really.
Khadra - 4 - Not his fault as out of position but failed to see what he offered there. I'd rather we'd swapped Gordon for Anel and not moved anyone else about. He looks like a player who would be great at 5-asisde but doesn't seem to understand shape. Just goes where he feels like going.
RND - 5.5 - Did his idiotic hard man shoving act and generally lost the physical side against Deeney. I can't be easy switching between two positions all the time.
Egan - 5.5 - I thought he looked at fault for their goal. Put 9ina good block but looked flat footed on more than one occasion.
Basham - 5.5 - Tried to get forward but it does look increasingly laboured, with age. Looked to lose his man a couple of times on crosses. Again, not easy switching sides.
Baldock - 6 - Kept going up and down but there was little quality on the final ball. Defended ok but more steady than anything else.
Norwood - 5.5 - Thought he looked impotent at times. He didn't really drive us forward.
Doyle - 6 - Hit and miss. Looks good at time and seems to lose concentration/lose his man at others. Defensive side was poor today.
Berge - 6 - Terribly casual defensively first half. Let Chong run and then dawdled on the ball (as he seems to do a lot) Mixed going forward. Put in a lovely pass for Sharp but also poor on other occasions.
Ndiaye - 5 - Not his day today. Had several chances and every one he put off target. Didn't really link up with McBurnie well but put a shift in. Did his whole aggressive schtick again. No idea why he needs to do it every game.
McBurnie - 6 - Started ok but generally not at his best. Took the goal really well but otherwise seemed to lack sharpness.

Subs:

Bogle - 6 - Daft booking but good to have him back. We looked more dangerous down our left when he came on.
Brewster - 5 - One good run and shot but not a lot else.
Sharp - 6 - Should have done better with the chance but fair play to Ruddy who did really well to put him off.
McAtee 4 - Just don't get what he offers. Seems to lack composure. Not on for long but added nothing.

Hecky - 5.5 - Difficult with so many injuries. I can see why he didn't want Gordon against Deeney or Hogan but I really don't think Khadra worked on the left. Also seemed to unsettled the CBs moving around again. I guess we could easily have won if Ndiaye had been better but it was a fairly even game. We are struggling in the midfield as well as the defence.

Brum - Good to see Eustice get a chance and I thought they did ok, considering. They have some individually skilful players but struggled as a team. I suspect they'll finish top half and maybe even trouble the play-offs.

Apparently they worked with him all week on playing that position.
It’s not an easy one to play and he didn’t do too bad for a first attempt.
Even Bogle had some bad games in that position last season but he looks the part now.
Can’t deny Khadra is at his best running at pace against central defenders though..
Hecky claims he had only one hour's prep for today's match !

Why do you keep mentioning basic English? It has nothing to do with the English language, is there something wrong with you? As I have already said a must win game is a important game, it’s a figure of speech regarding games, bit like saying a crucial game against a promotion/relegation rival is a 6 pointer, we know you don’t get 6 points buts it’s a figure of speech, your just being a complete bellend.

As for Tuesday heads could drop after two poor performances if we don’t win who knows, we could lose that momentum and points could start slipping away, so yes for confidence, to keep up momentum and keep the pressure on the other top teams a win on Tuesday is crucial.

I won’t be answering you again as your weird as fuck, took offence to “must win” but didn’t reply to give your point of view as to why it isn’t a must win you basically wanted an explanation from me without giving your point of view, not only that but you tagged Belvedere blade and basically summoned him to explain to you why he liked the post, seriously weird as fuck. Get a life mate it’s just a msg board and stop being so weird. Bye.

So essentially nothing of real note will happen if we don’t win and therefore it isn’t a must win. It happens quite often that people use the term ‘must win’ without any real understanding of what it actually means.

I’ll ignore all of the personal abuse.

Back
Top Bottom