Sheffield United Legends - Crucible

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S64 Blade

Reaction score
Anyone else going to this at the Crucible tonight? Haven't seen too much about it advertised - I am only going thanks to my mate somehow finding out about it.

I'm there with my old man, who is 91yo. Looking forward to it. Wondering if I should ask Paddy if he rates Grbic, or ask Chrissy Morgan if his intension was to foul Gerrard in that first home game after we were promoted to the ELP under Warnock. I'd driven my family back overnight from a holiday in France, to a gloriously sunny, and packed BDTBL, only to go a goal ahead, followed by that dive over Morgan's leg in the box, for which the ref gave the penalty, apparently for "The intention"!?!?! Nothings changed.

I'm there with my old man, who is 91yo. Looking forward to it. Wondering if I should ask Paddy if he rates Grbic, or ask Chrissy Morgan if his intension was to foul Gerrard in that first home game after we were promoted to the ELP under Warnock. I'd driven my family back overnight from a holiday in France, to a gloriously sunny, and packed BDTBL, only to go a goal ahead, followed by that dive over Morgan's leg in the box, for which the ref gave the penalty, apparently for "The intention"!?!?! Nothings changed.

1. Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
  • If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.
  • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
  • A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
  • a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • bites or spits at someone on the team lists or a match official
  • throws an object at the ball, opponent or match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object

I went to the Pigs one last year as a birthday gift for my armchair, oinking Dad.

First half was good - the MC warmed the crowd up and handed it over nicely to the players to share old war stories. There were some good, interesting tales and it was personally satisfying to see Carlton Palmer make himself look like a prat whenever he opened his gob.

Second half started as a 30-45 minutes auction of sports memorabilia tat.
The best bit being where they built up a 'rare' signed England 66 shirt, the MC got the bid upto around £500 and said to the two leading bidders that they've both won at £450 a piece - such a rare item that they greased two punters. At this point we both left because it had gotten a bit stupid.

I'd be interested in going again but the tacky auction part of it really killed the energy of the show.

I'm going to the billiards at said venue later this month but not tonight.

Hopefully none of you end up potting the brown tonight.

Good night , interesting to listen to some of the stories and to hear their take on a few things.
Paddy was good value, Deano's reaction to a comment about Blackwell was classic and Morgs getting a bit choked about not been able to say a proper goodbye at the end of his career.
Decent turn out as well , I'd say about 700 ISH in the crucible.

Good night , interesting to listen to some of the stories and to hear their take on a few things.
Paddy was good value, Deano's reaction to a comment about Blackwell was classic and Morgs getting a bit choked about not been able to say a proper goodbye at the end of his career.
Decent turn out as well , I'd say about 700 ISH in the crucible.
Could you elaborate on the comment and reaction for those of us not there?

Any other stories do share. Sounds like a good night.

Deano's was a reply to a Paddy story. Paddy told the tale of when Blackwell asked him to hit him on Christmas day. Deano basically replied that if Blackwell had asked him to hit him he would still be on the floor now!
Deano also told of when he was asked to leave by reg brealey and he had an odd meeting with Trevor Francis in a hotel room about a transfer and he thought it was all a wind up.
Was a very good night and you can tell how all the legends love the the club and fans.

I really enjoyed it as well, was a fun couple of hours.

Currie is one miserable bastard though. Like getting blood out of a stone trying to get an anecdote out of him.
Agree mate it was hard work and every time he was asked something there always seemed to be a sigh before he replied.
The others though all spoke well and seemed to enjoy themselves.

Quite glad that Paddy still seems to have an affinity with us. He got some absolute pelters when he left for QPR and all because McCabe/Blackwell made themselves come up smelling of roses in the media when in reality they’d forced him out.

Did similar with Michael Tonge as well by all accounts.

Currie is one miserable bastard though. Like getting blood out of a stone trying to get an anecdote out of him.

I’ve found in recent years he seems to have mellowed and, depending on who is asking the questions, come across a lot less guarded/grumpy.

Wasn’t there last night though :)

Quite glad that Paddy still seems to have an affinity with us. He got some absolute pelters when he left for QPR and all because McCabe/Blackwell made themselves come up smelling of roses in the media when in reality they’d forced him out.

Did similar with Michael Tonge as well by all accounts.

This is exactly why I don't criticise players for "reportedly" forcing their way out of the club. I just don't trust that it's actually the case

Good mix of laddish humour and interesting thoughts. Random points of interest for me were:
1. Paddy Kenny is the joker. But also allowed more serious comments from the others without interrupting.
2. The difference between players in real life and on the pitch was a theme, and it works in different ways for different individuals. Morgan became the hard man on the pitch, but comes across as a nice guy off the pitch. And although TC didn’t have anything to say on this, I felt I began to understand the difference between TC on the pitch (instinctive genius, glamour boy, extrovert entertainer, nerveless performer), and the shy, unconfident person off the pitch. He must have known that he was a footballing genius, but perhaps couldn’t understand why or how to explain it to others. But I felt he did ok last night.
3. There was agreement that Bassett/Warnock were not master tacticians, but they brought the best out of players, kept a happy dressing-room, created a team spirit that brought success beyond the individual ability of the players. I can imagine the likes of Basham, Fleck, etc. saying similar about Wilder in 20 years.
3. Morgan was very moving about missing out on a last game at the Lane knowing he was going to retire. And loved how people still thank him for what he did at The Lane, when he ought to be thanking them.
4. None of them were born or brought up in Sheffield, but all have acquired a love of the place.
5. Deano was good on how he felt as a player. Asked about which was the most intimidating ground to visit was, he said it depended on how he felt at the time. When things are going well, players are so confident that they fear nothing, and enjoy every moment. When things are going badly, then the whole thing becomes a nightmare. He feels sorry for the current team going in the coach to away matches: they must feel in the pit of their stomachs that things will go wrong, but have to go out and perform in public. That is intimidating.

Good mix of laddish humour and interesting thoughts. Random points of interest for me were:
1. Paddy Kenny is the joker. But also allowed more serious comments from the others without interrupting.
2. The difference between players in real life and on the pitch was a theme, and it works in different ways for different individuals. Morgan became the hard man on the pitch, but comes across as a nice guy off the pitch. And although TC didn’t have anything to say on this, I felt I began to understand the difference between TC on the pitch (instinctive genius, glamour boy, extrovert entertainer, nerveless performer), and the shy, unconfident person off the pitch. He must have known that he was a footballing genius, but perhaps couldn’t understand why or how to explain it to others. But I felt he did ok last night.
3. There was agreement that Bassett/Warnock were not master tacticians, but they brought the best out of players, kept a happy dressing-room, created a team spirit that brought success beyond the individual ability of the players. I can imagine the likes of Basham, Fleck, etc. saying similar about Wilder in 20 years.
3. Morgan was very moving about missing out on a last game at the Lane knowing he was going to retire. And loved how people still thank him for what he did at The Lane, when he ought to be thanking them.
4. None of them were born or brought up in Sheffield, but all have acquired a love of the place.
5. Deano was good on how he felt as a player. Asked about which was the most intimidating ground to visit was, he said it depended on how he felt at the time. When things are going well, players are so confident that they fear nothing, and enjoy every moment. When things are going badly, then the whole thing becomes a nightmare. He feels sorry for the current team going in the coach to away matches: they must feel in the pit of their stomachs that things will go wrong, but have to go out and perform in public. That is intimidating.
That's a brilliant summary of the evening! I really need to start taking notes - at least I can you use your post when my mates grill me tomorrow.

Interesting Geordie. What if the player, "attempts to tackle!"?
would probably come under "Wreckless"
Then Rob Styles awards a penalty for "intent" and Steven Gerrard receives no punishment for diving, despite the referee acknowledging that their was no contact.

Irritatingly the Blades will get relegated on goal difference at the end of the season, so this injustice essentially relegates us on the opening day of the season, not all the Tevez malarchy which will ensue.

I'm over it now by the way .....😂

Then Rob Styles awards a penalty for "intent" and Steven Gerrard receives no punishment for diving, despite the referee acknowledging that their was no contact.

Irritatingly the Blades will get relegated on goal difference at the end of the season, so this injustice essentially relegates us on the opening day of the season, not all the Tevez malarchy which will ensue.

I'm over it now by the way .....😂
We got relegated because we weren't good enough over 38 games.

Back
Top Bottom