United games on February 29th

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Obviously we haven't played many on this date.
I remember two games, United beating Scunthorpe 2-1 in 2012 to get our promotion hopes back on track (we thought), following our defeat at Hillsborough the previous Sunday. My main memory is that rumours (correctly) were going round the ground that Wednesday had sacked Gary Megson.
I also remember us drawing 0-0 at home to QPR in 1992, not so much for the game but a half time on pitch marriage proposal, due to it bring the one date that women are supposedly able to propose to men!

Obviously we haven't played many on this date.
I remember two games, United beating Scunthorpe 2-1 in 2012 to get our promotion hopes back on track (we thought), following our defeat at Hillsborough the previous Sunday. My main memory is that rumours (correctly) were going round the ground that Wednesday had sacked Gary Megson.
I also remember us drawing 0-0 at home to QPR in 1992, not so much for the game but a half time on pitch marriage proposal, due to it bring the one date that women are supposedly able to propose to men!
And there was one during the 1963-64 season!

Most memorable for me was 29th Feb 1972 - beat W Ham 3-0 with a Bill Dearden hat trick.

Game kicked off at 3pm on a Tuesday school day due to power cuts/ 3 day week meaning floodlights weren't an option. I left school (as a 6 yr old) and went home for dinner as usual, then met my older brother who had also wagged it and off we went to BDTBL.

Bit of grief from my teacher the day after, but well worth it.

Jeez.. wish i had memories like you guys. I cant remember what i had for tea yesterday!
Silent Blade what did he have for tea yesterday? Who served it to him, was it hot or cold and how did it compare with the tea he has the day before? 😉

Just joshing of course. Amazing recollection of past events. What would we do without you?!

Most memorable for me was 29th Feb 1972 - beat W Ham 3-0 with a Bill Dearden hat trick.

Game kicked off at 3pm on a Tuesday school day due to power cuts/ 3 day week meaning floodlights weren't an option. I left school (as a 6 yr old) and went home for dinner as usual, then met my older brother who had also wagged it and off we went to BDTBL.

My kind headmaster at Maud Maxfield allowed me the afternoon off so that my dad's workmate, Lenny Kenning (anyone remember him? Dont know if he is still around?) could take me to the match.

1709201335110.png

Silent Blade what did he have for tea yesterday? Who served it to him, was it hot or cold and how did it compare with the tea he has the day before? 😉

Just joshing of course. Amazing recollection of past events. What would we do without you?!
Boiled eggs and injured shoulders. Lucozade is the drink to aid his recovery

My kind headmaster at Maud Maxfield allowed me the afternoon off so that my dad's workmate, Lenny Kenning (anyone remember him? Dont know if he is still around?) could take me to the match.

View attachment 179930
I've met/bumped in to a fair few ex pros down the years and Billy Dearden is head and shoulders the nicest of the lot.

Passed my driving test in the morning and went to the game in the afternoon
Still remember it well

I've met/bumped in to a fair few ex pros down the years and Billy Dearden is head and shoulders the nicest of the lot.
I had the great pleasure of meeting Billy, Ted Hemsley and Len Badger up at a Sheffield FC match a few years ago. There's a saying 'never meet you heroes' but on this occasion it couldn't be more wrong. Absolute gentlemen, all of them!

I bet not many players will have scored a hat trick on the 29th of Feb Billy Dearden is the only one. I asked a while back have The Blades played on 39 Feb, someone did answer but I forgot. on this forum a while back.

I was a student, missed a lecture to go to the game but well worth it, especially when the Kop started chanting “Heath out!” The first time I’d heard our fans abusing Tory prime ministers, but not the last.

I was a student, missed a lecture to go to the game but well worth it, especially when the Kop started chanting “Heath out!” The first time I’d heard our fans abusing Tory prime ministers, but not the last.
Who'd have thought they'd be chanting the same thing 27 years later?

Back
Top Bottom