Sharp

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Football a fickle business. Fans of football even more so !

First goal goes in and that all changes !!

UTB
No doubt. But if Billy is the guy I think he is, no way will he just disregard something like this to the extent he's willing to sign for them

Not surprised we haven’t offered anything regards playing, he was starting to struggle at Championship level so it would be a bad ending if we relied on him in the PL.

However Billy isn’t just about playing, he a role model and big influence so I suppose he feel dissappointed if we’ve not offered a joint playing/ coaching role. He could have played odd match as token sub and joined the coaching team. However I suppose ge would have then been stepping into Jack Lesters shoes.

No doubt. But if Billy is the guy I think he is, no way will he just disregard something like this to the extent he's willing to sign for them
Maybe.

But he will also be keen to reunite with an old pal with whom he combined 40 goals at Championship level.

L1 would get torn a new one 👍.

UTB

Be criminal to get rid.. he’ll be so important in that dressing room next season when the going gets tough. Sometimes you need them players round the squad. Eg Scott Carson @ Man City

That said. What a fucking brilliant player he has been for us. He’s lived the life that every blade could ever dream of! About the only good thing Nigel Adkins did in 2015.

If true then thanks for everything, Billy. It’s been a pleasure!

Maybe.

But he will also be keen to reunite with an old pal with whom he combined 40 goals at Championship level.

L1 would get torn a new one 👍.

UTB
..... and it would be 40 at L1 level too. Be great to see. Help Derby close the gap to those cunts Forest in the process

Even if there were no links to us it would be good to see two old lads like that combining to form such a partnership

To be fair to him, he has not seen him score!

Saw him score v Birmingham, Cleatus

Oh, hang on. You mean 'actually in the stadium'? I see. Any other goal not witnessed inside the stadium and on telly isn't a goal.

Have you had a fucking stroke Silent?

pommpey

Football wise, there's no question it makes sense

We have Jebbison and Osula to incorporate and we can't block and waste these two

We'd be paying Billy to not play, basically

So I can see why they wouldn't offer him anything

It just seems more likely to me that they'd offer something on reduced, appropriate terms. Are we sure this isn't the case, and Sharp simply isn't willing to take enough of a pay cut?

Time stands still for no one, Billy could still be very useful at league one or two level should he wish to keep playing a few more seasons. Asking him to do it at Premier league level is too much at his age. Thanks for the memories Billy.

A great striker does not mean he would make a good coach or manager offering a post as coach would be sentimental rubbish, better to leave with a fantastic record as a player rather than as a duff coach.

Be criminal to get rid.. he’ll be so important in that dressing room next season when the going gets tough. Sometimes you need them players round the squad. Eg Scott Carson @ Man City

That said. What a fucking brilliant player he has been for us. He’s lived the life that every blade could ever dream of! About the only good thing Nigel Adkins did in 2015.

Scott Carson 😂 Fuckinel! I’m sure Pep and the likes of Rodri, De Bruyne & Haaland really need Carsons’ advice after playing for Wigan, Wednesday, Derby & West Brom.

As a club now plying it's trade in the best league in the world, and 100 percent back there decision.
Move on, football doesn't stand still.
I wish billy all the best and thank him for what he's done.
But don't critise the club for moving players on for whom would be an embarrassing move for the club to be loyal because of there past.

The only reason scott carson went to Man City was to keep up their quota of English players.

See also…Andy Lonergan to liverpool and Lee Grant to Man U.

Bill has been great for us, but time has caught up with him. He's seemed a yard off the pace since Christmas - both in thought and deed. I'm sure he wants regular(ish) football for another year or two and we simply can't offer him that. I first met him when he was a 16 year old and he came to do my lad's club's presentation night with Jonathon Forte. They were both excellent ambassadors for the club. I do hope he continues to do his badges and that he comes back to us at some time in the future.

I think the issue here is that Billy Sharp clearly still wants to play football. Unfortunately, his opportunities for us in the Championship were limited and should be pretty non-existent in the Premier League.

To get the best out of Sharp these days, he needs to be in a team that creates hatfuls of chances that he can get on the end of. He isnt quick enough or skilful enough to create chances for himself. Realistically, it’s unlikely that we will be able to play to his strengths often enough to be effective enough to make it worthwhile offering him a playing contract.

Given that are finances are clearly going to be stretched to the limit this summer, the club has to weigh up how much of an influence he is in the dressing room and work out whether its worth offering him a contract on some kind of non-playing basis. However, I think this is probably a moot point as I get the impression that Sharp still thinks he has something to offer as a player.

In which case, he’s not going to get that here and in reality, he must know that he’s going to have to drop down to get playing time.

Really sad to see. Not the type of player that comes around very often. Not just a talent, not just a boyhood Blade, this was a lad who was willing to drop down to League One to save us.

His playing time has to end eventually, and if this is it then I'm glad he's signing off with a promotion to the Prem.

It's sad to see Billy go but I do agree with the decision. However it's the bit that Billy is angry that worries me. Was he promised a deal that no longer is happening? I really hope he attends the open top bus parade tomorrow still.

I'd guess that this is a club decision, over Hecky's head

Given how much he leans on the senior players, I'd be surprised if he'd decided not to offer Sharp of all people an extra year. He involves him pretty much every single game

Reactions: Dkc
Transfer list.

I’m sure Billy would agree to something to stay on

Plus what’s the alternatives ?? Where else are you going to find someone proven for that amount if you are all about brilliant spending ??

Sure - chuck a mill to Sharp so he can gee everyone up in the dressing room. May as well extend JOC as well and keep him as the world's best paid gym instructor.
That's 5% of your budget gone on 2 players that won't get a game. No wonder we're apparently struggling to even afford Big Dave from the Dog & Duck.

Sure - chuck a mill to Sharp so he can gee everyone up in the dressing room. May as well extend JOC as well and keep him as the world's best paid gym instructor.
That's 5% of your budget gone on 2 players that won't get a game. No wonder we're apparently struggling to even afford Big Dave from the Dog & Duck.
It’s all well and good mocking but what’s your alternatives ?? You have to have players on bench so what ?? Are you going to laughingly argue that Jebbo/Brewster/Osula are better options for 10 mins per game just because they are already here ??

Or are you buying strikers from Championship for 10 million to go and score 6 goals all season ??

If I was arguing to keep Billy and start him then fine, but I’m not

I’m arguing to keep for one spot on a crowded bench

Scott Carson 😂 Fuckinel! I’m sure Pep and the likes of Rodri, De Bruyne & Haaland really need Carsons’ advice after playing for Wigan, Wednesday, Derby & West Brom.
People at City, including Pep, have openly talked about how important Scott Carson has been to have around. I guess it's possible you know more about the situation than Pep though...

Also this despite the disappointment of Sharp going, it may actually mean we are looking to add new players up front. Re-signing Sharp to play next year would be a sign that we are quite literally sticking with the same players and not spending a penny.

If JOC isn't fit to play (He claims the season ran out of games for him) and Sharp can't be guaranteed to be getting on the pitch next season then there is no point keeping either.

Hard decisions need making and this is an indication Hecky is brave enough to make them.

Last edited:
i dont doubt he's upset, every sportsman is when realisation hits they cant play at the highest level. look at Tiger Woods, Serena Williams, Tom Brady

but as i said on 1 of the other threads on trophy lifting day. its because we love him that highly. i hoped that billy playing time either with us or total & he moves to coaching with hecky. billy deserves to go out on the highest of highs at least sheffield. i don't want to see him go out the back door because he gone 1 year too long & its january, he's barely made a appearance. why not if you want to play go to donny bang in the goals & go up to league 1

Saw him score v Birmingham, Cleatus

Oh, hang on. You mean 'actually in the stadium'? I see. Any other goal not witnessed inside the stadium and on telly isn't a goal.

Have you had a fucking stroke Silent?

pommpey
There’s certainly been a noticeable change in attitude recently.

I imagine he’s has gone double denim, slicked his hair back, begun riding a Norton, carries a flick knife and is courting a girl from the wrong side of the tracks in S18.

Possibly started hanging about outside the local Co-Op until late and taken to saying ‘like, whatever’ to adults and joined a gang called ‘the sharks’.

I hope it’s a passing phase. 😁

Fuck Bill its been a Journey , but like all Journeys they eventually come to an end . Its made you a wealthy man , and i suspect your not finished yet , get the sen ont Bus with a few beers and keep ur head up , and thanks for the memories .

And don't forget you have lived the dream that we as Blades fans all wanted , to put that red and white shirt on a play for Sheffield United and you had a good run at it , we all would swap yer , see you around Sheff Bill ⚽❤️

There’s certainly been a noticeable change in attitude recently.

I imagine he’s has gone double denim, slicked his hair back, begun riding a Norton, carries a flick knife and is courting a girl from the wrong side of the tracks in S18.

Possibly started hanging about outside the local Co-Op until late and taken to saying ‘like, whatever’ to adults and joined a gang called ‘the sharks’.

I hope it’s a passing phase. 😁

Yeah. There comes a time in every man's life where he wakes up and forgets who he was.

Stack heeled cowboy boots as well, don't forget. And a propensity to 'put himself about' for no specific reason.

pommpey

its a very sad decision by united but its the correct decision thanks for everything billy legend of the lane

Back
Top Bottom