Sharp

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You think McB is up there with Illi ?
Nope, but they both scored the same this year, both helped get us over the line. By his own admission, McB had a shitty 2 years prior to this one but for me he's deserved an extension. Rather that, for the price of wages, over a gamble on trying to find a cheap enough diamond in the rough.

It will be sad to see Billy go but I think it’s the right decision. Brilliant servant to the club and wish him well in his next venture.

Absolutely the right decision. If we're all being honest, it would have been the right decision for all parties 12 months ago.

Top level sport is all about what have you done for me lately? Other than use his increasingly wide arse to win free-kicks late in games, sadly old father time has called for r'Bill.

Let's just hope he doesn't throw his toys out and leave via the same back door the last person we talked about needing a statue for...

Last edited:
I thought that he might be offered another year for all he brings off the field. Since he became club captain the attitude and commitment of the players has been exceptional, especially compared to the dross before it. Sharp deserves credit for this as well as his goals.
If this becomes a changing of the guard moment then I hope that the squad dynamic doesn’t also change and we lose the connection that we currently have between fans and players.
Billy Sharp - club legend.

On a plus note tomorrow night won't be dominated singing about Jack O not played for 3 years Connel

Understand why Sharp wants to carry on playing at his age (you only get one career) and he won’t get games for us, hence I n this decision.

Gutted but understandable.

Been told McBurnie’s been offered a new deal too not just had his additional year triggered so sure that will go down well with a few on here 🙈
Watch his form crash as soon as he gets a longer contract - he's the kind of guy who constantly needs to be challenged to prove his fitness & quality - no point giving him more than his 12 month extension - he only came alive for us in the early part of this season when he realised it might be his last - no club higher than us would come in for him anyway.

Unfortunately we can't waste 1.5m on a new one year prem contract for Billy ,there can be no sentiment in football and buisness

Well Billy, you have done your very best for us, if this is goodbye, then thankyou.
You scored some important goals for us this season and helped setup many assists.

When we were not playing well and you were on the pitch plowing a lone furrow upfront, harrowing midfielders and defenders to get that crucial free kick or corner, that led to a goal, god bless.

Good luck Billy for the future and best wishes to your family.

The time for sentimentality is gone.
Thank you pomp’s. Been slated for saying same.

Bless you Billy you’ve been a legend but time takes its toll and tbh he’s not looked reyt good at top end of Championship this season.

The good news is we can assume we are getting another striker.

Don't agree with this decision personally. He looks after himself so is available more than most of the squad. He knows where the onion bag is but he's also soil when it comes to winning the odd free kick to take the pressure off. He's not lost his pace... he never had it.

If some of the rumours about us not having a pot to piss in are true, who are we going to replace him with? Poor decision.

Will always be a legend at the lane and somone who has has lived the dream.

Can't help thinking the comments around players only playing well for a contract say more about the comment maker and their attitude towards their work and less about the footballer in question.

Whatever you think of his performances on the pitch this season, the guy is a leader and a winner.
His departure will leave a big hole in that dressing room.
We absolutely need to sign a player who will be a true leader - I often thought Egan would fill the his role , especially as he's an ever-present , but now I don't believe he's influential enough - we could do with an athletic man-of-steel in midfield who leads by example.

He's not had a great season, even if he has limited time. He only got 6 league goals over the 2 seasons in the prem and he's now 2 years older. If it were anyone other than Billy it would have been a no brainer to part ways. Get to part ways on a high and most definitely leaves through the front door.

Nope, but they both scored the same this year, both helped get us over the line. By his own admission, McB had a shitty 2 years prior to this one but for me he's deserved an extension. Rather that, for the price of wages, over a gamble on trying to find a cheap enough diamond in the rough.
12 mth extension would be the ideal way to manage McBurnie , keeps him motivated - if someone comes for him with more than we can offer in June 2024 , so be it - but a 3 year contract is the last thing we need to give him , just watch him sit back for 2 years like he admits he did here.

I’ve been lucky enough to see Tony Currie, Alan Woodward, Brian Deane, and other quality players pull on the red and white stripes. But Billy Sharp is different. Not better, but different.

And here’s why.

Billy is a Blade. He’s done what every single one of us on here wishes we’d done. He’s played for his club, he’s captained our club, and he’s banged in goals and gone berserk in front of the Kop for our club. Who amongst us wouldn’t have wanted to do that, with the success he’s had?

If it was anyone else I would have happily said thanks for the goals, thanks for the thrills, and best of luck for the future. But it’s Billy Sharp. He deserves more from us than we can ever say. He’s lived his dream, and our dreams too.

So thanks Billy. Thanks for doing it for us. Thanks for showing us what being a Blade playing for the Blades is really all about. There won’t be a player who does what you’ve done for us for a long time.

All the best Billy. Thanks for everything.

Best Billy memory: a video doing the rounds after promotion in 2019 where he was in the back room of a pub with a load of people singing “we’ve got Billy Sharp, Billy Sharp, we’ve got Billy Sharp”

Let's have some perspective, we have just been promoted to the best league in the world , and we have released a 37 year old, who has made less than 50 appearances in this league In his entire career which spans almost half his life and he's scored 6 goals in those appearances, we have done what every other team in the division would do, he's a lower league goalscorer and a pretty decent one , but anyone implying that he's anything above that is looking through rose tinted specs , I think in his career he has still actually scored more goals for other clubs combined than he has for us

Completely agree.

Probably the right time for his fellow oldies....Enda, Fleck, Norwood & Bash as well
If it were me in charge ,
Enda & Fleck move on.
Norwood extend by 12 mths if we have the option - if not , move on (but only when assured of a younger fitter replacement).
Bash , keep on for his remaining 12 months - we are short of CBs - we desperately need cover for Egan and if we don't get it , then Anel has to be it , which leaves a gap at RCB. Also LCB is not quite resolved in my mind , coz I don't think Lowe or Osborn are strong enough starters at LWB in PL , which means I see RND first pick at LWB , thereby leaving Robbo for LCB where he shouldn't be a starter in PL.
In short , my defence in PL is
Furious/Bogle
Anel/Bash
Egan/new signing
New signing/Robbo
RND/Lowe or Osborn

Osborn can't compete in PL midfield but could do a job at LB as cover.

Billy is a Blade. He’s done what every single one of us on here wishes we’d done. He’s played for his club, he’s captained our club, and he’s banged in goals and gone berserk in front of the Kop for our club. .
Can you imagine if he goes on to manage and achieves anything close to what Wilder has with us? It might be the end of this chapter, but he has so much more to come and if he really applied himself off the pitch, he could be back one day to continue the story.

🎵 we've got rid of sharp, rid of sharp, we've got rid of sharp, na na na na na🎵

😔

I can't understand why Billy is, (evidently) so pissed off about the news. He's 38 and has just struggled to make an impact for the majority of the season in the Championship.

Everyone has to be realistic, fans, club and more importantly Billy himself.
True, really disappointing if he's thrown his dummy out

Back
Top Bottom