Player Suggestion Serhou Guirassy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We need to change the midfield before we start talking about what strikers we need to bring in imho.

We keep buying promising young strikers only to find that they aren’t delivering the goods. Maybe the problem isn’t them but our slow, weak, static, one-dimensional midfielders.

We’ve had this problem for at least seven transfer windows and we ain’t sorted it yet.
I’m not denying that is a good and fair point.

I would however suggest that our slow, weak, immobile front line gives the midfielders extra headaches when trying to play progressive football (up the pitch) and even bigger headaches when the forwards turnover possession as regularly as ours do with the inevitable ball comes straight back at us.

It’s a combination of the 2.

As good as Norwood has been, at Championship level only, it really should have been painfully obvious his lack of energy would get found out in the PL.

UTB

Our playing style could (and should) have been structured around a player of this type. How this wasn’t the case and we, instead, went for a promising England U21 striker of diminutive stature is beyond me.

I’m telling you, an over the hill Troy Deeney would have been an excellent signing for us as things stand. It’s that bad !!!

UTB
Personally i think Archer is a decent signing to have up top. He has a good strike on him as we saw against Everton. He’s also got the ability to beat a man as we saw against Fulham that Ollie Mac almost converted. The service he gets is shocking though. We could have a prime Zlatan up front but he would barely touch the ball in this team. As for Deeney 🤣

We just don’t have the style of play or quality on the pitch to make chances right now. When we do then we can judge our current strikers better. We will also then be a much more attractive option to good players.

Personally i think Archer is a decent signing to have up top. He has a good strike on him as we saw against Everton. He’s also got the ability to beat a man as we saw against Fulham that Ollie Mac almost converted. The service he gets is shocking though. We could have a prime Zlatan up front but he would barely touch the ball in this team. As for Deeney 🤣

We just don’t have the style of play or quality on the pitch to make chances right now. When we do then we can judge our current strikers better. We will also then be a much more attractive option to good players.
Our forwards see plenty of the ball. What they do with it is rarely effective. Possession retention when involved is alarming. Not Always the strikers fault but they both have to do much better.

I agree that we rarely see them in good goalscoring situations. High XG chances.

Again, if we have players at the top of the pitch who can hang on to possession better, and just for a few extra seconds, it allows midfield runners to become part of the play phase. Impossible if they are 30 yards behind play !!!

It starts with the ball sticking at the top of the pitch. You can blame the midfield to an extent if the delivery in is more often than not your archetypal hoof n hope, but that just isn’t so. Additionally, when forwards are marked and don’t move around, at least a little bit, it makes the job of the midfielders more than difficult.

I feel sorry for Archer. He tries hard but is typically doubled up on.

McBurnie - nah I can’t even be arsed anymore. Done it to death !

UTB

Need two up front with pace and so Archer and Brewster for me.
McBurnie puts the effort in, but he's not a footballer, can't control it half the time and hardly finds the net, if we were going to take risks,how about McBurnie at centre half, talk of him defensively being vital at set pieces, why not give it ago and he can still go up for corners etc

Need two up front with pace and so Archer and Brewster for me.
McBurnie puts the effort in, but he's not a footballer, can't control it half the time and hardly finds the net, if we were going to take risks,how about McBurnie at centre half, talk of him defensively being vital at set pieces, why not give it ago and he can still go up for corners etc

2 up front and we're an open gate in midfield.

There's not really an answer within our squad to the problems we have.
It's going to be a long season and we're going down. On that basis, we might as well play McBurnie, Jebbison or Brewster as they're actually ours and we might be able to use them next season (either in terms of a sale, or as players should they decide to stay).

Spot on!

Until we sort our style of play out we won’t have a fucking chance to sign players like this. This season could be really bad for future recruitment for us. Anyone with any ability will avoid us like the plaque.

If we can start creating chances, playing brave football & stop being the leagues whipping boys and hoof merchants we might be in with a chance of signing someone like this.

Years of work to get us there from where we are now though.

Aye but we would have certainly been in with a chance before season kicked off.

Guirassy was DESPERATE to play in the premier league for anyone.

It was his decision to have a minimum fee release clause that went into effect from day 1 of signing with Stuttgart (normally they come into effect at END of 1st season playing for a team..not as soon as you join)

Our forwards see plenty of the ball. What they do with it is rarely effective. Possession retention when involved is alarming. Not Always the strikers fault but they both have to do much better.

I agree that we rarely see them in good goalscoring situations. High XG chances.

Again, if we have players at the top of the pitch who can hang on to possession better, and just for a few extra seconds, it allows midfield runners to become part of the play phase. Impossible if they are 30 yards behind play !!!

It starts with the ball sticking at the top of the pitch. You can blame the midfield to an extent if the delivery in is more often than not your archetypal hoof n hope, but that just isn’t so. Additionally, when forwards are marked and don’t move around, at least a little bit, it makes the job of the midfielders more than difficult.

UTB
I'm not denying that our strikers could be better, always room for improvement for any player. I just think we aren't giving them any kind of platform to succeed.

Will have to agree to disagree on a lot of that and that stats back it up. We have the lowest statistics in the prem for touches in the Attacking 3rd and second lowest for the mid 3rd I think those stats alone tell you all you need to know about how much of the ball our strikers see. Mcburnie for me has looked one of the few this season who can control a ball under pressure and find a team mate. This despite the fact that probably 80% of the balls he receives are in the air with very few team mates around. When he actually gets a ball to his feet he's good.

Just as a random side note 1 stat that really stood out was our progressive carries, we are bottom of the prem by a huge margin, even luton had far more.

It was his decision to have a minimum fee release clause that went into effect from day 1 of signing with Stuttgart (normally they come into effect at END of 1st season playing for a team..not as soon as you join)
See #74 !

🤕

UTB

I mean he looks quality. And he’s proving it. I’m sure everyone on here would take him now. Before the stuttgart game though i’m not sure many would be that bothered.

I doubt he would have moved to us after they spanked us pre-season either. We will never know now.

I mean he looks quality. And he’s proving it. I’m sure everyone on here would take him now. Before the stuttgart game though i’m not sure many would be that bothered.

I doubt he would have moved to us after they spanked us pre-season either. We will never know now.
He ticked ALL the boxes required based on that 1 performance.

I would find it incredible if his name did not come up on our radar as a consequence immediately afterwards.

Hindsight now, but what if ?

Ship sailed !

UTB

He should have been on our radar well before that game. If he wasn't that's incredible. Not only that, but he should have been our number 1 target by a mile. If he was any sort of possibility that is, which he probably wasn't IMO

Rennes fucked up with him more than anyone. They decided Laborde and Delort were better options than him 😂

Just the one goal for him yesterday, first player in Germany to get 14 goals in first 8 games, expected to miss the next few games with a thigh strain though so that will slow his goals to games ratio.

Looking at his goals so far you’d have to say he will be moving on very quickly, be interesting to see where he ends up, maybe Bayern.

I’d say there will be 20 clubs around Europe lining him up in the next window at that price

Currently he's better than Richarlison, Jackson and Hojlund.

Even Arsenal would be decent as Jesus is either injured or off form.

PL clubs have to be looking.

Absolutely baffling no one made a serious attempt at signing him this summer, I know there were rumours but never anything concrete.

His record last season was great for relegation fodder, essentially he kept them up.
Pre season record was great. He absolutely embarrassed us, you could tell he was quality.

I mean, nevermind anyone else. Why weren't we interested?! We spent £18m on Archer. This was the guy we needed.

Absolutely baffling no one made a serious attempt at signing him this summer

It is truly baffling why nobody thought "hmm, Stuttgart bought the player two months ago, how much do they want for him"

It is truly baffling why nobody thought "hmm, Stuttgart bought the player two months ago, how much do they want for him"
He had a well publicised release clause of £15m 😂😂😂😂

Dortmund would be a good move. Spurs maybe. Milan, Arsenal. He's going to be able to absolutely take his pick at that price. No club should really be out of reach for him

His only weakness has just surfaced though - injury. He's had a few of them. It's the only thing that's stopped him scoring prolifically over the last 4 years or so and cracking the 20 goal mark much earlier

TD really looking such a bad option right now ?!

UTB

TD really looking such a bad option right now ?!

UTB
Yes, still a really, really bad shout. Hes playing for forest green rovers and notched only 4 goals in league 2 this season. Hardly prolific or the quality that we need for the premier league.

Whats Michael Chopra up to these days?

Yes, still a really, really bad shout. Hes playing for forest green rovers and notched only 4 goals in league 2 this season. Hardly prolific or the quality that we need for the premier league.

Whats Michael Chopra up to these days?
Would he have been getting a shirt ?

Would he now be getting a shirt ?

UTB

Seems half of the PL teams now hold an interest in his signing for the bargain price of £15m-£17m.

Our recruitment is dogshit isn’t it ?!!!!

UTB

UTB
IT STARTS WITH THE BALL STICKING AT THE TOP OF THE FUCKING PITCH.

Basic measurements by which our forward line is simply incapable of achieving.

UTB

That Kane looks a prospect though. Wonder if a cheeky bid could go in next month

Back
Top Bottom