Saudi National Day Tweet

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The racism comment is obvious.
Being sickened by a tweet wishing the people of a nation well, based on the actions of a sub-set, is tarring everyone with the same brush. Simple really.
Although it's actually xenophobia if we are being accurate.

I've lost the will to understand some people's logic.

This appears to be nothing more than wishing the Saudi people a good day, not a big up to the regime.

Yet point out the vile comments we get on our Twitter from that part of the world and most don't want to know, and in a couple of cases, I was even told that it was provoking racism by pointing it out.

It's an example of sportswashing.

If you don't think that is a big deal, fair enough. For me, being unhappy that my club is being used to launder the reputation of the Saudi regime (who are currently committing war crimes akin to Russia) isn't too controversial.

Even if it's only to a small extent, even if it's a common occurrence in sport. I'm not a fan.

I'm not a fan of what Saudi Arabia does within their own country like alot of similar states there is big inequality not just between rich vs. poor (alot of that here too) but even more so women or anyone who isn't straight.
There is more than this too.

However when I saw this tweet other day I didn't really think much of it. We are owned by a Saudi prince. It's the equivalent of wishing the English happy at George's Day.
Yeah Saudi has issues we do too. But that one tweet isn't that bad really.

I think the problem isn't the messaging. If we just tweeted "Happy Saudi Day" then no problem. It's the picture of footballers celebrating a goal which is used for celebrating a repressive state.

The racism comment is obvious.
Being sickened by a tweet wishing the people of a nation well, based on the actions of a sub-set, is tarring everyone with the same brush. Simple really.
Although it's actually xenophobia if we are being accurate.
It's neither from me. Didn't see where it wished the people well. Just saw it celebrating Saudi Arabia day. Would you feel the same if it was celebrating Russia day? By sub-set you mean the people who rule over the rest with a brutal iron fist. Its sport washing

People offended or insulted by tweets really need to get some real problems in their lives.
I am neither offended nor insulted by the tweet. I do however think it is a fucking ridiculous tweet. And, I continue to just say it simply - I would strongly prefer Saudi money be nowhere near the club I have supported all my life, and will continue to support for the rest of my life.

Go and support the Pigs then is a very tired argument.

I am neither offended nor insulted by the tweet. I do however think it is a fucking ridiculous tweet. And, I continue to just say it simply - I would strongly prefer Saudi money be nowhere near the club I have supported all my life, and will continue to support for the rest of my life.

Go and support the Pigs then is a very tired argument.
Happy national Saudi day. Our owner is Saudi. I'm not going to say "fuck off to Hillsborough" like many would. That's the only reason it's been tweeted. Nobody is supporting the Saudi regime within the tweet.

All a load of faux outrage in my opinion. And like I say, some people have real issues.

Happy national Saudi day. Our owner is Saudi. I'm not going to say "fuck off to Hillsborough" like many would. That's the only reason it's been tweeted. Nobody is supporting the Saudi regime within the tweet.

All a load of faux outrage in my opinion. And like I say, some people have real issues.
Do you realise that the National Saudi Day is a very recent invention. Designed to commemorate the domination of Wahhabi Sunni Islam over Shia Islam. And, as such is specifically intended to be oppressive to a Saudi minority population. It is far from a universal celebration day. A bit like Australia Day and Columbus Day have been heavily criticised and devalued by Indigenous Aboriginal & Native populations as "Invasion Day". Just because the ruling (in this case) Saudi regime say - oooohhhh it's National Day wave a flag, put a Tweet out, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing. It's a crude tool to pretend to the outside World that - we're all touchy feely and everything is OK here - when it palpably is not. These sort of National Days are designed to pull the wool over our eyes - and it's fucking worked. But, maybe you didn't know all that. Very few people can be expected to be experts on other Countries National Days. I know I'm not, which is why I've made all that up for effect. But, you get my point....

It's neither from me. Didn't see where it wished the people well. Just saw it celebrating Saudi Arabia day. Would you feel the same if it was celebrating Russia day? By sub-set you mean the people who rule over the rest with a brutal iron fist. Its sport washing
Yes, I mean that sub set. Which is why I find your revulsion of the rest of the country odd.
Especially from someone who would claim to not prejudice whole populations based on the actions of some.

Do you realise that the National Saudi Day is a very recent invention. Designed to commemorate the domination of Wahhabi Sunni Islam over Shia Islam. And, as such is specifically intended to be oppressive to a Saudi minority population. It is far from a universal celebration day. A bit like Australia Day and Columbus Day have been heavily criticised and devalued by Indigenous Aboriginal & Native populations as "Invasion Day". Just because the ruling (in this case) Saudi regime say - oooohhhh it's National Day wave a flag, put a Tweet out, doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing. It's a crude tool to pretend to the outside World that - we're all touchy feely and everything is OK here - when it palpably is not. These sort of National Days are designed to pull the wool over our eyes - and it's fucking worked. But, maybe you didn't know all that. Very few people can be expected to be experts on other Countries National Days. I know I'm not, which is why I've made all that up for effect. But, you get my point....
Pretty good 👍

Yes, I mean that sub set. Which is why I find your revulsion of the rest of the country odd.
Especially from someone who would claim to not prejudice whole populations based on the actions of some.
National Days are rarely spontaneous days picked out of the Calendar at random by the masses so that they can celebrate their own love for the country. They're much more likely to be State & Regime sanctioned and organised. Imposed, dictated even. The idea that by criticising a Saudi National Day organised by what we know is a repressive state machine you are in some way prejudicing the ordinary Saudi fella on the street corner is ridiculous.

Fucking moronic and pointless tweet from the club.
We aren’t owned by the Saudi state so we shouldn’t undo the great inclusivity strides we’ve made by linking ourselves with them. As dumb as it is grim.

We aren't owned by the Royal family, but we still posted about the queen.

It's an example of sportswashing.

If you don't think that is a big deal, fair enough. For me, being unhappy that my club is being used to launder the reputation of the Saudi regime (who are currently committing war crimes akin to Russia) isn't too controversial.

Even if it's only to a small extent, even if it's a common occurrence in sport. I'm not a fan.
Aren't the US, for instance, and by extension, or even directly, the UK government also committing, or substantially contributing to, what could reasonably be considered war crimes, specifically in Yemen. But likely many other places as well.

Should we be boycotting China because of the Uighurs?

If we're going to be consistent then we should probably be buying things exclusively from, I don't know, Denmark, maybe.

It's all wrong (obviously), but it's genuinely difficult to work out why some genocides, ethnic cleansings, and mass murders (for instance) are reviled and others are largely ignored.

Maybe each society abides by a few necessary fictions to get through the day. Maybe the lies you live by depend on where you live.

To the extent that we confront it at all in our society, Their genocide is bad. Our genocide is an unfortunate necessity of realpolitik.

Some of the lies we tell ourselves to get through the day would look very ugly if they crept out from under the carpet and started us straight in the face.

I know Jessup is meant to be a bad guy but...

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. [...] You have the luxury of not knowing what I know [...]. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post.

Whatever the answer is I'm not sure it's simple or pretty.

Aren't the US, for instance, and by extension, or even directly, the UK government also committing, or substantially contributing to, what could reasonably be considered war crimes, specifically in Yemen. But likely many other places as well.

Should we be boycotting China because of the Uighurs?

If we're going to be consistent then we should probably be buying things exclusively from, I don't know, Denmark, maybe.

It's all wrong (obviously), but it's genuinely difficult to work out why some genocides, ethnic cleansings, and mass murders (for instance) are reviled and others are largely ignored.

Maybe each society abides by a few necessary fictions to get through the day. Maybe the lies you live by depend on where you live.

To the extent that we confront it at all in our society, Their genocide is bad. Our genocide is an unfortunate necessity of realpolitik.

Some of the lies we tell ourselves to get through the day would look very ugly if they crept out from under the carpet and started us straight in the face.

I know Jessup is meant to be a bad guy but...

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. [...] You have the luxury of not knowing what I know [...]. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like "honor", "code", "loyalty". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post.

Whatever the answer is I'm not sure it's simple or pretty.
Agreed. There's a lot of nuisance, where do we draw what lines etc.

We are certainly complicit in the Saudi's war crimes, not quite as bad as committing them but shameful nevertheless.

We generally accept that staying out the way of this sort of stuff is acceptable. I'd love it if the club boycotted certain things, but I can live with it's neutrality. Tweeting in celebration of their national day is getting involved in politics on the wrong side, imo.

As written above by some others, I’m not outraged or offended. I’m simply a bit miffed, and would prefer the football team I love and associate myself not to be seen to support the Saudi regime.

If the social media team was forced to post it, then perhaps instead of “Celebrating Saudi National Day” something like “Wishing the people of Saudi Arabia a happy national day” would be slightly more defensible.

Agreed. There's a lot of nuisance, where do we draw what lines etc.

We are certainly complicit in the Saudi's war crimes, not quite as bad as committing them but shameful nevertheless.

We generally accept that staying out the way of this sort of stuff is acceptable. I'd love it if the club boycotted certain things, but I can live with it's neutrality. Tweeting in celebration of their national day is getting involved in politics on the wrong side, imo.
For the people posting it I imagine it's as controversial as Happy St George's Day, or Happy 4th July isn't it?

I'm genuinely not trying to make some ridiculous anti-American point here. More that I think we're all at it.

A few years ago I remember Jim Phipps saying something about the people of Sheffield reminded him of the people of Saudi Arabia. Which on the face of it was pretty staggering. Did I dream that. I don't know. I always wondered what he meant by that, but the few people I know who have actually travelled to these places, generally come back with the message that, "They're just like us."

For the people posting it I imagine it's as controversial as Happy St George's Day, or Happy 4th July isn't it?

I'm genuinely not trying to make some ridiculous anti-American point here. More that I think we're all at it.

A few years ago I remember Jim Phipps saying something about the people of Sheffield reminded him of the people of Saudi Arabia. Which on the face of it was pretty staggering. Did I dream that. I don't know. I always wondered what he meant by that, but the few people I know who have actually travelled to these places, generally come back with the message that, "They're just like us."
I get what you're saying, we are all at it.

Our media team wouldn't think to post it, I assume they were told to by someone higher up. That we specifically wish the people of Saudi Arabia well on their national day isn't a coincidence.

Our players, in our beautiful shirt, in a tweet about Saudi Arabia. I don't know anyone that is Saudi personally, so my thoughts go to the nation. My positive feelings for Anel looking all happy connect with the Saudis.

Imo, it's an old advertising trick to positively associate something we like with something they want us to like. Like Sainsbury's shamefully using WW2 imagery to promote themselves at Christmas.

I get what you're saying, we are all at it.

Our media team wouldn't think to post it, I assume they were told to by someone higher up. That we specifically wish the people of Saudi Arabia well on their national day isn't a coincidence.

Our players, in our beautiful shirt, in a tweet about Saudi Arabia. I don't know anyone that is Saudi personally, so my thoughts go to the nation. My positive feelings for Anel looking all happy connect with the Saudis.

Imo, it's an old advertising trick to positively associate something we like with something they want us to like. Like Sainsbury's shamefully using WW2 imagery to promote themselves at Christmas.
All fair.

And if you're trying to tell me that, for instance, the John Lewis Christmas advert is an annual Crime Against Humanity I'm with you all the way.

Ye but I haven't expressed revulsion at the rest of the country have I? If you're going to reply can you tell me where I've done that? Otherwise we're arguing about something that I haven't said. I expressed revulsion at the regime and the tweet.

What is it about the Saudi regime that you find disgusting and how much of that is our owner specifically responsible for?
I doubt he's responsible for any of it. If you can't think of why people might be disgusted by the regime I really can't help you.

I doubt he's responsible for any of it. If you can't think of why people might be disgusted by the regime I really can't help you.

I can but our owner has absolutely nothing to do with that

I can but our owner has absolutely nothing to do with that
This is how it plays...

Our owner is a member of the Saudi ruling elite
No he's not...
Yes he is, and he's not hiding it, he's His Royal Highness. He's a Prince.
No he's not, everyone is called a Prince over there.
Sigh, only members of the Saudi ruling elite are called Prince
No he's not, he's nothing to do with them ... not really
He's served in the government, as a Minister
Yes, but not really.
He's House of Saud - he's privileged. He's privileged by the repressive Saudi regime.
Yes, but not really Phil, even though he's His Royal Highness The Prince and a recent member of the government, he didn't actually cut anyone's hands off himself - so how can he really be part of the Saudi ruling elite.

Listen up. You can support The Blades with everything you've got. And you can condemn the Saudi ruling elite. It is perfectly possible to do both. See I've just done it.

His Royal Highness The Prince Saudi Government Minister has never personally cut anyone's hands off ... really.

Back
Top Bottom