Deadbat's Season Review / School Report 23-24 - Part 6: Midfield

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
2023/24 SUFC SEASON REVIEW / SCHOOL REPORT

Midfielders

Vinicius Souza Souza arrived after being linked with us (and Burnley) for a fair bit of the summer. He grew up in Rio and played for Flamengo before Lommel (part of the Man City group) signed him in Belgium. He did not play much as a youngster and then ended up on loan at Mechelen -where he finally was a regular – playing 32 times. He then went on loan again – this time to Espanyol but was part of a side that got relegated from La Liga and the reviews were quite mixed. He was seen as the big, tall, strong midfielder who could get up and down, break up play and offer the athleticism and power we did not possess when we were last at this level. It seemed like it a bit of a coup although the fee was never really confirmed – with some sources say around 13-14 million and others saying almost half of that. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. He came in quite late and was not able to have much of a pre-season.

He came on at Palace but then started at Forest and seemed to show some positive attributes in terms of breaking up play and keeping it nice and simple. However, he rarely passed it forward and could not run with the ball at all. He became a regular but we conceded an awful lot of goals and for all the positive stats that were attributed to him, he never seemed to be in the right place to stop attacks and felt he hid a lot. He was by no means one of the worst players but was distinctly average and was not that quick, strong or good in the air – despite his impressive size/physique. He remained in the side for the most part despite not really standing out but we had so little behind him to compete. He did have a few decent games but these were few and far between.

Wilder came in and the first period we saw a bit of an uplift but once again we saw a lot of times where we would lose a goal and he would throw his arms up in the air or shout at others. He did not seem to take much responsibility at all. We did have a few good games after Xmas and was superb at Luton – his best game for the club where he scored a goal too- his only one but he could not maintain this form and Wilder started to get frustrated with his lack of really contributing anything. He only has picked up 2 bookings all season which says it all about his level of commitment. He started to annoy players with his finger pointing and gesticulating but not actually doing anything meaningful. We had arguments with players and nearly a fight with Robinson at Wolves! He then made the ridiculous claim that he would probably be in the Brazil squad if he played with better players/we kept the ball more. Which is laughable from a player that has been a regular in two straight relegation sides.

Wilder started to see the same as us – in that he is an imposter – somewhere who points and waves but does not get stuck in, does not get on the ball and seems to never be in the area where the ball is. He was taken out of the starting line up as the season came to an end and when Arblaster linked with Hamer we saw a huge upgrade in output. He is meant to protect the defence and stop shots, passes or runs coming into our box – yet all season we concede 4’s, 5’s, 6’s and 8’s! He has failed miserably in this regard and offers nothing at all going the other way. I have seen some say that in the right team he could be a contributor but I do not see it. He is not very fit (another) and not that mobile. He just sort of floats around doing nothing. Maybe a team will do what we did perhaps, and look at the stats and the build of him and think he can be an asset but if we got our money back or close to it, I would snatch a teams hand off. Sadly, I do not see a long line of suitors and feel the best we can hope for is a season loan somewhere to get a big chunk of his wage off the books (we would probably have to contribute some) and still would have two years on his deal left, even after next season. Another signing that we scouted and identified and has been a complete failure and waste of valuable funds. He is part of the losing/blame culture and I really do not like him as a player – his whole blame others and never seems to rally the team or help others but just acts selfishly in his attitude on the pitch.

Seems to be more interested in catching up with fellow Brazilians or mates when the game has finished than actually clapping fans or talking to his own team! We need to move him on somehow this summer. I do not even think he would be a success in the Championship as it is a physical league and he barely tackles/gets challenges in and also his lack of running power means he would struggle with the two weekly games that often happen.

Grade E- (Last season NA)

Oliver Norwood Norwood has been a regular for much of the promotion season and seemingly regained his form, being a key man as the Blades were right near the top. However, we did drop off and you recall Heckingbottom made the call to change things and Doyle was preferred for many of the final games when we regained form and went on to seal promotion well before the end of the season. Despite his form dipping, he had still been a significant contributor and was almost always available showing his fitness record. The concern, as we had seen last time at this level is the pace/movement and mobility would be too much and I think most thought he would only be a squad/bit part player. A handy lad to have around and clearly despite some undeserved criticism, could offer and contribute at times, even at this level.

When we signed Souza, Hamer and Slimane, you thought that he would be use much but of course our business was done late and with Berge moving out also and us unable to bring Doyle back, he ended up starting the opening games. It was hard to see him and Bash against Palace as clearly the attributes you need at this level, they do not quite possess. He remained in the side despite some of the new lads slowly getting fitness and coming in but was taken out at Spurs before he experienced a really difficult day against the power and movement of Newcastle. He came off that day but remained mostly in the side under Heckingbottom despite calls for us to make changes. It seemed him and Souza were quite similar and their lack of mobility and carrying of the ball, really hampered us. He did score a huge penalty, a superb hit, which showed a lot of bottle in the first win against Wolves. He continued to stat as the losses piled up and then the managerial change happened.

He was on the bench as Wilder started but then played at Villa but felt he was really poor – often just lumping the ball away. It seemed his impact and what he could do at this level now, was more limited than ever before. He started at Wolves and then the big defeat at home to Arsenal but then was on the bench and only came on briefly in games. The notion he would help us keep the ball and give us a steady, experienced head did not really happen as he was poor in the throwaway against Fulham. We saw off cameos but often when he came on, we dropped off and he did not really contribute anything, looking slow and way off the pace. He was used less and less as the season tailed off.

Some felt he should stay around citing his experience and ability at the lower level but for me, I think it was the right time to move on from him. He has been a fantastic servant and not deserved some of the unfair comments he has had in his time here. He has been one of our better midfielders in my lifetime and been a big part of two promotions and a fantastic period at the Lane. He has played over 200 games for us and been mostly a regular for a 6-year spell. He is still only 32 which is scary as seems a lot older (in how he moves!) and will probably get a deal in the Championship and still show some of the qualities he has but I am not sure he would be a regular in a side going for promotion – we do hope we will be that side next year – so despite his superb contributions, we cannot show sentiment with finances tight. We made the mistake last year of keeping Fleck (right to move on Sharp and Stevens in my opinion despite what they contributed off the field) a year too long so hope we can start to evolve the age and type of player we have at the club. With Hamer, Arblaster, Brooks, Davies, Slimane still under contract and probably wanting to bring a couple more in, and his legs really so seem to have gone now (he was never quick I accept). That said, what a player he has been for us and will be another that will get a huge ovation if/when he returns to the Lane as a player for another club. One of the best midfielders I have ever seen play for the Blades and been mostly a joy to watch until maybe this last season.

Grade E- (Last season B)

John Fleck
It was a real surprise that he was given another year. I fully expected like with Sharp and Stevens him to move on. He had rarely featured, not helped by some really scary moments in the previous few seasons and his better days seemed to be behind him. Several injuries and health issues meant it seemed a really strange move to retain him. I could not see him being involved at all and he had struggled the second season at this level before so it made no sense on any level? His goal against Preston should have been the perfect way to end his Blades career.

Whilst he remained, he was never seriously involved to start the season only being on the bench at best. He had more injuries again and I think broke his leg at some point but then came back quite quickly but after coming on as sub at Arenal and Bournemouth, he got a start against Burnley but was woeful and taken off. The higher level seemed way too much for him, even against a fellow struggler and pitching him in after so long our and so many injuries, seemed madness. His final Lane appearance came as a sub against Liverpool and at least he saw the pitch again and fittingly under Wilder, the manager who signed him. I thought being a Wilder favourite, he might remain but even he saw that he could contribute little at this level and was allowed to move on. The way his departure was handled was poor by the club with a brief tweet/story in the early hours of the morning after the window closes. He deserved better than that. Not sure what Blackburn saw that made them think he could contribute but they only took him on a short-term contract till the end of the season. Fleck probably would have hoped he could do enough to get another deal. The manager who signed him left not long after and Fleck only played one game as sub before getting another injury and one that rule him out of the season and end his Blackburn career you think.

I do not think he has ever been properly fit or not have some sort of injury for about 3 seasons now. He has rarely put together a run of games and the last period of his United career was sad as it saw fans be quite critical of him. The first 4 seasons at the Lane, he was simply fantastic and maybe our most consistent player (along with Bash and O’Connell) and he was such a big part of the rise up the leagues and so many memorable moments. We sometimes forget that he was superb in that first Premier League season – up to Covid and recall him bossing games against Burnley and Villa at the Lane. Been another fantastic servant and to think he cost us nothing. It is sad how things ended and hope one day he too will get a proper send off at the Lane. As for his own playing future, I have a feeling he may head back up to Scotland and probably even might get a deal in the SPL as the level of that outside of Rangers/Celtic is lower Champ/League One at best. You tend to think Baldock, Egan, Norwood, Fleck etc are really old but they all could have at least another 3 or 4 years in the game at a good level – if they get fit.

Grade F (Last season C)

Tom Davies Davies seems to have been around for a long time but then you realise he made his debut at 17 at Everton back in 2016. He seemed to be always in and around the Everton side after breaking through despite the Toffees going through managers regularly. Always recall him being an energetic, no-nonsense midfielder who could do a bit of everything and moved through the England age groups right up the u21’s too. Around 2017-18 he became a regular but the 33 games he played was to be the most he played and he was sort of in and out for the next few seasons and started to pick up injuries too. He played 8 seasons and in the end only started 95 games for Everton; which is around 12 per season so maybe United should have considered this when they signed him. He has signed a couple of long-term deals keeping him at Everton for so long but last season he did make 20 appearances either starting or off the bench so it is not like he did not play at all?

After his release, he was training at Bristol Rovers and maybe Championship teams could not afford his wages and other than the promoted teams, hard to see any Premier League teams giving him a deal - especially as he had rarely started for a team that nearly went down. His injury record alone probably scared a lot of teams off but Blackburn, Cardiff and Leeds were linked and then there was talk of clubs in France and Saudi Arabia and also Serie A side Monza were also supposedly keen. I was still surprised United signed him and to such a long deal (3 years) but thought if, a big if, we could keep him fit he would be asset as gave us Premier League experience and some legs in midfield – something we have lacked for some time.

Davies signed pretty much as the season started and it was not thought he would be fit for some time which again made the signing a bit puzzling considering our need? We barely saw him to start the season but then he came on at Spurs but after a few more sub appearances soon after this but seemed to get an injury and we did not see him until after Xmas. He made a few more appearances and did ok in limited time and was very good at Luton and helped us grab the vital third goal. He finally got a start at home to Arsenal but we were blown apart and he (and the rest) were not able to keep up with the dynamic and powerful Arsenal midfield. He came off at half time and this was repeated at Bournemouth a week later although again this seemed to be more injury related than general fitness although he also gave away a stupid penalty. He was then out again and Wilder said he would not come back this season a few weeks later. His signing has been a bit of a disaster so far considering I doubt his wages will be cheap and he has contributed very little but occupancy in the physio room. He has started only 2 games and not completed 90 minutes once – indeed the most he has played is 45 minutes – in his 9 appearances (7 from the bench) and only played 224 minutes by my reckoning which is equivalent to less than 2 and a half games.

I thought when he has played he has been ok and showed good industry, got around the field and been quite busy but sadly we have just not seen enough of him and the fact he has gone months without being available is not good enough. I think if United had their time back, they would have not signed him or only got him on a 1-year deal – 2 at most. We now are saddled with him for another 3 years and seems unlikely from his recent history, that we are going to be able to count on him much as he is so injury prone. Hope I am wrong and he comes back and gets fit as at Championship level supporting Hamer, Arblaster, Brooks etc, he could be a real asset but I am not holding my breath and like with Brewster, just see anything he offers now as a bonus.

Grade F (Last season NA)

Anis Ben Slimane Another played I had never heard of and not someone I had seen United linked with before when suddenly he became our first signing of the summer. He had played for various clubs in his youth career in his native Denmark before finally coming through at Brondby and they won the Danish league in 20-21 scoring in the title sealing game. He played 104 times for Brondby in 4 seasons, scoring 9 goals.

United signed him for a reported fee of around a million pounds although some media sources had it as a lot more, it seems the reality is that it was probably not that substantial of a fee. 22 years of age and had played at the recent World Cup for Tunisia, appearing in two games for his country and Heckingbottom described him as a technical player who can handle the ball well and play a number of positions. He described that they had been looking at him for a while and it seemed they had been able to exploit a clause in his contract to bring him over to Sheffield.

In pre-season he looked decent and one of those that stood out and scored at Derby and seemed an athletic player who could carry the ball and get in the box. I felt positionally and discipline may be an issue as he did not do the defensive side very well and worried that if we played him in midfield we would be exposed as we of course would not see much of the ball at top level. He played against Stuttgart, the first time I had seen him in person and sadly I was not impressed. He seemed to give up quite easily when he lost it and not sure he had the power or size to win challenges. On the ball he was a bit sloppy too despite a few decent touches.

He was sub in the opening games but did little of note when he did appear and despite the poor form and some asking why he had not been given a chance – he did start at the Emirates but was totally anonymous and ended up getting hooked. He came on at Brighton but then he got an injury and was not around for a while. Under Wilder he had his best cameo to date when he was brought on at home to Brentford and had a series of good runs and efforts at goal and looked skilful and full of running. For the first time, the fans saw something in him but this was as good as it got sadly. He started at Villa but again it all looked too much for him and he seemed unsure where he was playing – he had ended up being used a wide midfielder after appearing in the central area pre-season. He came on against Luton but this coincided with the Hatters comeback and scored an unfortunate own goal. Once again he bizarrely got a start at the Etihad as United tried to pack midfield but he was just not in the game again as he struggled to understand his role off the ball – which was inevitable often the case for United.

He went away to the African Nations and ended up playing as a striker but was replaced in two games and sub in the other as his team went out at the group stages only scoring once. He came back and played at Crystal Palace but again only lasted a half in another performance where I think most Blades did not even know he was playing. He was on the bench a fair bit towards the end of the season and came on at Liverpool, Newcastle and Everton but again it all seemed a bit quick for him.

Just seemed another punt of a signing that was cheap but yet another just out of depth at the top level and he lacks the fitness, power and ability to have an impact. I am still unsure to this day what position is his best or if he has an actual position. He has shown flashes on the ball but looks woefully unfit for the level he is playing at and seems to not realise you have to play and run without the ball. I think at the Championship level, the physicality and sheer number of games coupled with his lack of discipline and fitness record, means I am unsure what role he will offer? He has another 2 years left but another (along with Traore, Souza, Larouci) who I would not be shocked if he moves on. I do not think Wilder seriously sees him as close to being a regular next season and most he will be a bit part player. I think if United can get their money back they will and heard we were going to listen to offers. I get some will say maybe it is too early to give up on these development players but sometimes you can just tell if a player is going to make it and sadly the players I mention are not players I see as hugely improving despite them being young. You have to show something/flashes of ability to overcome any tactical/fitness deficiencies that the unforgiving English league can expose. Not sure these players have shown anywhere near enough technically/ability wise to suggest they will ever be close to regulars here. Harsh but you look at impact of Arblaster and Brooks in comparison to Slimane.

Grade F+ (Last season NA)

Gus Hamer Another player that began his life in Brazil but his family moved to Holland when he was quite young. He started out at Feyenoord but never properly broke though and after a loan at Dordrecht, he signed a three-year deal for PEC Zwolle and scored 4 goals in 48 games. After two years, Coventry signed him for £1.5 million in 2020. He quickly became a regular and a fan favourite and improved season upon season. He became one of the Sky Blues key men as they slowly moved up the Championship, season upon season. In 2022-23, he and Viktor Gyokeres provided the one-two punch as they made the end of season play-offs. Hamer scored at the Riverside and in the final at Wembley but City lost on penalties. He always impressed with his dribbling, passing and ability to pop up with goals. Looked very good technically and the player that made the Sky Blues tick. Some Blades fans cited him as someone we would hope to sign but not sure we were ever linked with him really but then after Berge left suddenly – we quickly moved in for him and signed him. Most United signings seem to take ages but this one actually happened very fast and he was announced on the end eve of the season. I was really happy with this signing. After all the punts and development type players we signed, he was one that had proven himself in the UK, at least at Championship level. In terms of a trade off for Berge, I think most were happy with this (ideally we would have had both) and he at least was on a longer deal.

He did not start the season but played at Forest and scored a brilliant goal and those early games we saw the reasons why we had signed him, as he could get on the ball, link with others and then also pop up in the box. Scored another against Spurs and also linked well with Archer in the home draw with Everton.

Despite this early promise, I think we were still not really sure where to play him and he ended up too wide for games and as a result we had some anonymous games. His strength was with the ball but we rarely had it! He did seem to lack fitness and did not provide much defensive cover and made we had big gaps in midfield. When he got on the ball, he always tried to be progressive. I was quite critical of him for not always being involved in games as much as I think he should have been – for his talents. He continued to be moved around though as we flipped formations and shapes and this did not help at all. He remained in the side until the end of Heckingbottom’s tenure and when Wilder came in. Eventually we started to play him further forward where he could be more of a factor but we continued to struggle to have much of the ball and he kind of lived off scraps. Had a few games where he was careless with the ball, when he did have it and I continued to question his weight and application (talk of Sunday carveries or stints in Sheffield public houses or back in Coventry night clubs were not things you wanted to hear of someone trying to establish himself as a top-level player). However, despite our dreadful performances and results, he was one of the few who shown some promise and with better players and a clear system around him – at a lower level too – would surely be an asset moving forward. I still think that even though he has been one of our better players, he still has been quite average for long spells and would struggle to get in most other sides at this level and is a way off being a top flight consistent performer. Yet despite this he was one of the shining lights in terms of stats and output and always tried to go forward. I would say that in the final stage of the season, he started to show more consistency and became more involved and his stats say he was one of the few who made really positive contributions in terms of assist, passes forward and goal contributions.

Maybe a promoted team may show some interest but I am not sure – he will be on a decent wage and I think he will remain here and be seen as someone we can hopefully build around. The big catch in that is if we have a sell on clause for the fee we bought him for – which is something that has been rumoured? Maybe an Ipswich or Leicester might look at him then? He must get fitter and think Wilder will see his natural talent and ensure he can get him even sharper so he can get up and down more and do other aspects of the game too. I would like him to be in a more attacking role and more of a 10 behind a front two if we can (particularly at home) and you would think, as he has before, he can really be a stand out at the Championship.

Grade C (Last season NA)

Ben Osborn
Retained last season which drew mixed views. Some felt we should have moved on, stating he was not even good enough to start in the second tier. I thought it was an odd re-signing, much like Fleck and thought we could get someone younger and more athletic. However, I could understand that with the number of incoming/outgoing, we needed some continuity. I also agreed he could play a few positions but hoped he would not start any/many games and only be really used in emergencies.

With us unable to really strengthen as much as we liked and losing players to transfer and also to injury, he somehow ended up starting the season and alternated between left wing back and left midfield. He got injured against Man City and then when he came back remained on the bench under Hecky. Did not start another game till Brighton in the Cup and then was just on the fringes but he did often become involved from the bench in a variety of roles. Did have a few starts – at Luton played well and also began the game at Bournemouth. There were some decent games as he showed the effort, application, and versatility. Of course, he offered little on the ball and at times he struggled with more powerful players but I felt he always did his best and mostly kept to his task/position – even if it was one he did not play much. It shows how bad the left side has been when he has been maybe the best of the bad bunch with the likes of Lowe, Larouci, RND, Thomas either injured or not good enough (both in some cases). We did see the final few games how much he struggled with pace and movement as he was given a difficult time by some wingers.

Osborn never hid. He is clearly not a Premier League footballer but that is not his fault. Been given way too much time on the field due to the ineptitude of many others and when he has played often there were fair worse players. He kind of signals the slow, small player we have sort of trotted out for the last few years but equally as long as he is just cover – then at a lower level he can be fine. Seems a likeable lad and one that always tried his best but talent wise – another a long way short – and that coupled with lack of pace/physicality means he should only be used in ‘small’ doses (bad height joke badly intended). It seemed Wilder was going to keep him but then recent reports suggest any offer had ben withdrawn. I am not that sad to see him depart in that we need to move away from this 'little, trier' but would counter that he offers multiple positions, cover and can do an ok job and means another 1/2/3 positions to replace and with so many changes maybe that is not wise?

Grade D- (Last season C-)

James McAtee I recall being very critical of him after that Luton game in the Championship and I felt he was miles away in terms of physicality and general readiness for senior football. I got it completely wrong as he held down a first team place for much of the run in and was one of our key players, with assists, goals (9 in total) and several excellent performances. He ended up being one of the players we looked to when we needed a moment of magic and recall the game against Bristol City when he scored a crucial winner that edged us closer to promotion. Went back to Man City as he was still under contract till 2026.

We did remain linked throughout the summer but he went on their tour to the Far East and played a fair bit and scored. I thought City might use him especially as they eventually sold Cole Palmer (another who was linked with us as a possible loan deal but that seemed fair fetched). As the season started, McAtee came on for City in their opening day win at Burnley and I sensed any deal for him would not happen. However, as August went on and City brought in a few players, he was not really used and the links with us re-emerged. It seemed Pep was willing to let him go out on loan but Leicester were also interested. He chose to come back with McBurnie announcing it via a funny online video but was too late to feature against Everton. He came on at Spurs in the devastating loss. He started against Newcastle and at West Ham in defeats and struggled, having very little of the ball and the same physical issues we saw in the Championship, we saw at the higher level due to the size of midfielders/defenders. He seemed quite frustrated by it all and you wonder quite quickly if he wondered whether going back to the Championship where he would have seen lots of ball at Leicester, may have been better for him but City probably felt him learning the other side – at a higher level would benefit him and them more – after all he had done it at the lower level?

He was sort of in and out for a bit being sub for a few games but then was superb when he came on against Wolves and changed the game I felt. He remained sort of in and out and we of course had to be more cautious away – which is odd as most of our hammerings came at home! Thought he played well at home to Liverpool and then followed this up with a superb striker that won the game against Brentford. For a period, we saw the McAtee of last season, as he got on the ball, carried it up the field and showcased his individual skill, dribbling and creativity that he possesses. He did not build on that, and his performances were mixed but there were games when he looked maybe the only player that you could argue had the technical ability to hold his own at this level. Was superb in the cup win at Gillingham and scored at Palace and at Luton. He did start in the defeats to Brighton, Villa and Arsenal but was withdrawn in all three and was taken off at half time in the defeat to the Gunners. He was back on the bench for a period but then did start at Liverpool but was poor despite setting up the goal and then was at fault for not tracking his runner at Brentford. He got another injury at Man Utd and then we only saw a few cameos where he offered little. When he did appear in the final few months, he often was sloppy in possession or got muscled out of it. I thought when Wilder came in, he found some consistency and form but never did enough to stay in the side. There is an argument he needed a run of games but then the other side is he did not quite play up to standard to retain a starting place.

We saw flashes of brilliance and at times you think he will make it at the top level but then you also saw weaknesses and his slight build and lack of stamina I think will hinder him. Turns 22 next season and still contracted for another two years – it is hard to see what his ceiling is at this stage. He clearly had bags of ability but has yet to show the consistency and physical powers to be a regular contributor for an established Premier League side. Maybe in a better side where he gets more of the ball, he does much better but then you still need to do the other stuff and are his skills/abilities enough to see him oust players in a top half side? Probably not and the best he can hope for currently is another loan to a Premier League struggler (and a similar situation to this season where he would be in and out and not see much of the ball) or back to the top end of the Championship. This would seem a backward step but City probably will have been a bit disappointed he has not been a regular with us and that he has not quite kicked on. I do not see him back with United - if he does go back out on loan – I think his time with us is done now. He was a signing that on the surface seemed to be a positive one, after his form last year, but in retrospect not sure it was the right move as he relies on having the ball and a bit of a luxury player. I think if United (and McAtee) had their time again, they would have not brought him back.

Be interesting to see where his career goes. He will have seen talented players like Foden and Palmer really go on and be stars but see others like Liam Delap struggle, even at Championship level. I think he will be somewhere in the middle and is definitely good enough for top end Championship but seems a way off being Premier League level yet. I expect him to turn up at the Lane next season, on loan for a rival. He has been a good contributor to the club and although the second loan did not work out, his first spell he was excellent and a big factor in us going up.

Grade E+ (Last season B)

Ismael Coulibaly
The times when he was seen as a top prospect worth millions and linked with AC Milan, seem a distant memory. If they did bid for him then of course we have made a big mistake not taking the money offered but easy to say in hindsight. After his Beerschot career sort of stalled as they went down, United finally brought him over but he has never really been close to playing regularly and when he did get some game time, even at Championship level or in the Cup, he has looked miles off the level required. He did ok in a few games I suppose but for the most part, the pace, strength, and level just seemed too much for him. He only started two games – Wrexham and Spurs and his other four appearances were as subs – he did at least get on at Wembley in the FA Cup semi-final.

This season he played against Lincoln but this was a real struggle and the fact he could not impose himself against League One players told a story. We did not see him after that and although there were reports he was injured; I did wonder of the coaching staff (both previous and the returning set) just did not think he was up to it? I struggled to see what his attributes were, he was not that strong or quick and technically not sure was that great either? He also is another that has struggled to ever get properly fit. I recall an interview where he said he almost gave up Football a few seasons ago such was his frustration and do wonder how much of an appetite he has for the game – that may seem harsh as I don’t know him – but his two-year spell at the Lane he has offered next to nothing and clearly not shown anywhere near enough in training to get game time.

As the window approached he was linked with a few Scandinavian clubs, including Malmo, but ended up at AIK Solna. The season over there only starts in March and they play over the summer months. His first game he came on but was subbed (injured I presume?) and struggled initially but then had a few decent games and scored a few goals too.

His contract is up I think and he will almost definitely be allowed to move on. I recall years ago there was a lot of talk and worry that we could not bring him over due to the rules on work permit status. Now, he will surely move back to Europe but looks a long way from ever realising the potential he showed a few years ago

Grade F (Last season C)

Andre Brooks Brooks had been on the fringes of the first team for a while after impressing at both u18 and u21 level for the Blades. Last season he was given some brief appearances in the two FA Cup games after his debut as sub in the big win against Burnley. He got his first start in the shock win over Spurs in the 5th round and did well and was given a standing ovation. He remained around the first team squad to close the season and to start this campaign. With players leaving and several injury problems, Brooks was involved off the bench in the opening games. He started against Lincoln but I thought was poor in this game and then we did not see him for some time but after Wilder came in, he clearly had heard about him and saw something in training. In Wilder’s first game back, Brooks played and had a really good game and then followed it up with a superb performance at home to Brentford. He remained in the side and played well at Villa before a bit of a struggle at home to Luton and then was sort of in and out for a while – starting some and coming off the bench in other games. He showed whenever called upon some lovely dribbling ability (few quality nut megs), good neat control and energy. He kept it nice and simple but also got up and down the field showing a good motor. He seemed to be offering more than many other experienced midfielders had shown this season.

After a really impressive start, he tailed off a bit which was understandable but he was always in and around the side. He signed a long term contract around the time he was being linked with Manchester United and other clubs. After the excitement of him coming in and doing so well, Wilder has probably been smart taking him out and not exposing him every week to some hammerings (he has been involved in some admittedly). He did struggle when he came back in for some games but was ok at Newcastle but looked well off it against Forest and gave the ball away cheaply. Did a bit better at Everton but was taken off then nearly got sent off v Spurs! I expect him to be a regular part of things next season and whilst I am not sure he will be a starter every week, he has shown enough to be involved in the first team squad weekly. He just looked a good footballer and plays intelligently and does not try and do too much. Decent passer, good on the ball and can move around with good size/speed for a modern-day midfielder he looked like he was going to be a real asset.

However, when he came back in I thought he looked well off what he had shown. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Maybe in an ideal world (like with Osula) would have had a loan out at Championship level but the experience he has had this season playing top players probably has given him experiences and confidence he would not have got out on loan. One of the building blocks for the future that we can hopefully build around and fantastic to see him and Arblaster, two Sheffield lads and Blades as assets we have tied down and may one day net us a lot of money – but hopefully after they have contributed a fair bit in the next few seasons.

Grade C- (Last season NA)

Oliver Arblaster
A player that has been talked up for some time right as he has moved through the age ranks. I saw a fair of him for the u18’s – a side he got into at a very young age, a sure sign that the club saw a real chance for him. He always looked composed on the ball, good vision, could run, shoot, pass and do a bit of everything. Recall seeing him star as we beat Charlton in the Academy final and thought he is just a proper footballer. Nothing flash just someone who seemed to know where to pick up the ball, where to run and how to dictate games without always doing it at 100mph. Kind of slowed the game down to his pace and then did what he had to. I also remember his love for the Blades being clear when after one game at Shirecliffe against Wednesday when we won and he shouted ‘Sheffield’s f****g red and white boys!’ at the final whistle with his fists pumping in the air! I thought then ‘He’ll do for me!’

Had some time with Bradford Park Avenue in 2021-22 and did well and then came back and recall him having a few appearances in the first team squads as they gave him a taste of things. Was a regular in the u21 side and the step up he seemed to handle comfortably. He played in the EFL cup at West Brom last season and then came on at Hull before he made his full league debut at Cardiff. He was around the squad before this last summer he was allowed to go on a season long loan to Port Vale. He quickly established himself at Vale Park as the Valiants had a good start to the season. Really impressed Vale fans and soon was seen as not only a good loan signing (some said the best they had ever made) but their best player! He played 20 times and scored twice and was earning rave reviews from all before he picked up a nasty injury against Middlesbrough in the League Cup quarter final and was out of action for a period. United opted to bring him back as Wilder had heard/seen the same as all the Blades fans – that he probably would be useful back at the Lane or failing that a loan to the Championship due to his impressive play at Vale.

After he recovered from injury, we managed to sign him to a long-term deal despite being linked with Newcastle and Wolves. He came on in the 6-0 drubbing to Arsenal but the only player to maybe enhance his reputation that night as he did well. He started at Bournemouth and once again impressed and contributed in the build up the second goal. He was involved in the England u20’s and scored in game against the Czech Republic. He came back and did well again in the game against Fulham and remained in the team at Anfield. The following weekend, he was man of the match in the draw with Chelsea and was superb and better than a lot of the expensive Blues players. Showed his ability on and off the ball and just looked totally unflustered in everything he did. Always showing for the ball and when he had it, he was able to make the right decisions. His impressive form continued, despite an own goal at Brentford and then he was made captain for the away game at Old Trafford showing what Wilder thought of him (and the rest of them). He continued to look a really good player, coming out of tight spaces, making room and able to dribble and pass it forward. Just played intelligently but often good things happened when he was near the ball and he often seemed to know where to stand or be, to get the ball – a rare quality. He continued to look one of few who could cope with the ball and the pace/movement – on and off the ball.

I saw a quote from Jack Lester on Arblaster that said: ‘He has a brilliant footballing brain’ and I nodded. That is why he has a real chance. He gets the game and know where to stand and how to receive the ball and weights passes properly. He can run with it but knows when to release it too. Being a Blade and clearly so proud to play for his home town club is always great too – there is of course the fantastic photo of him high fiving Billy Sharp after the striker scored, when Arblaster was a ball boy. Has a real chance to go a long way in the game. Sometimes you see a youngster (Walker, Maguire, Brooks in years past) and you kind of know they have a real chance. There is no guarantees of course but Arblaster looks to have a very bright future.

Grade B (Last season NA)

Sydie Peck
Peck, like Will Lankshear, was surprisingly released by Arsenal as had been well thought of as he came through there but they did move on a number of players and United maybe took advantage. He had been on trial at Brighton and Cambridge as well as the Blades but chose to move to Shirecliffe. He impressed immediately with his classy ball skills and ability to take a free kick. He scored a fair few goals in the almost unbeatable academy side that dominated at the level they were at as they won the league and playoffs. Watched him carefully in the final a few years ago and he was pivotal to most things. Seemed to be a key man at u18’s and was starting to play in the U21’s regularly and ended up skipper. Him and Arblaster always seemed to dove tail well. Arblaster ended up in the first team squad, maybe slightly ahead of him but then Peck got a loan to Oldham around November of last season and remained for two months. He impressed the former Blade player David Unsworth, who was in charge at Boundary Park. Oldham were struggling though and United opted to bring him back at the end of the January transfer window. He went back to the U21’s and ended up being a pivotal player again as the side won the league. This past season, due to players sold, injuries and finances, he was in and around the first team squad at various stages. When Wilder came in, he clearly wanted to give some of the youth a go feeling the fans would get behind him and as Brooks got in the side, Peck was also in the first team match day squads initially. He came on against Brentford and did ok but then we did not see him again – he got an injury – until he was sub against Arsenal at home. Saw him a few times on match days in and around the subs/those warming up so clear Wilder thinks there is some potential there. He probably would benefit from a loan, ideally at League Two or League One level. He is listed as being out of contract though but at still only 19, one we will surely tie down to a longer deal but has not been involved with the u21’s in recent games which left many wondering why he was not playing?

Frankie Maguire
Like with Boyes (and Heckford), seems to have been here for ages and whilst players who seemingly were ahead of him like Neal and Broadbent, he has not left yet. Heckingbottom even said he might have had to use him in that opening game against Palace when the stories about Berge being sold leaked! He had been at Bradford Park Avenue and Chester before but this season ended up at Chorley – another National League North side. He has been a regular here and seemed to be a key man but this is a long way from the Premier League/Championship. He is out of contract this summer and cannot see him remaining especially when younger players like Brooks, Arblaster and Peck have gone past him.

Next season

Starting to say the same in every area, but we have holes everywhere. Midfield no different but if we retain Hamer and Arblaster then we have a solid basis at least. Hopefully Davies can be fit (a big ask) for longer periods and Brooks shown flashes. The rest are less certain. Souza I expect and hope will move on. Slimane has shown little and not sure even if he remains he would be more than a bit part player. Osborn is a useful cover player and if he remains can do a job in certain situations but should not be starting really at all. I expect Coulibaly to depart. Once again we probably need 3 or 4 players here. A defensive midfielder that can do the things Souza was meant to, some creativity and pace and a link player that can help support the forwards but maybe Hamer plays this role?

Player / Position
Years remaining (contract expires) Red this yearOrange next year Green longer contract

Midfielders

Oli Arblaster 4 years (2028)

Vinicius Souza 3 years (2027)

Gus Hamer 3 years (2027)

Andre Brooks 3 years (2027)

Tom Davies 2 years (2026)

Anis Ben Slimane 2 years (2026)

Ben Osborn Out of contract (2024)

Ollie Norwood Out of contract (2024) – CONFIRMED AS LEAVING

Ismael Coulibaly Out of contract (2024)

Youngsters involved in 1st team last season or loans out (contracts unknown if not stated)

Frankie Maguire Out of contract (2024)

Sydie Peck Out of contract (2024)

Return to loan club:

James McAtee to Man City

Well Deadbat you truly are amazing.... better insight and knowledge than any journo. local or otherwise !. Great reports ,thanks for your hard work !. I don't know what you do for a living but I think you may have missed your vocation :). I hope your doubts about Wilder are wrong ... fingers crossed ,we shall see . Mind you with how quiet things are coming out of the ..or should I say .. NOT coming out ?, he may get swept aside by no nowt new owners .

2023/24 SUFC SEASON REVIEW / SCHOOL REPORT

Midfielders

Vinicius Souza Souza arrived after being linked with us (and Burnley) for a fair bit of the summer. He grew up in Rio and played for Flamengo before Lommel (part of the Man City group) signed him in Belgium. He did not play much as a youngster and then ended up on loan at Mechelen -where he finally was a regular – playing 32 times. He then went on loan again – this time to Espanyol but was part of a side that got relegated from La Liga and the reviews were quite mixed. He was seen as the big, tall, strong midfielder who could get up and down, break up play and offer the athleticism and power we did not possess when we were last at this level. It seemed like it a bit of a coup although the fee was never really confirmed – with some sources say around 13-14 million and others saying almost half of that. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle. He came in quite late and was not able to have much of a pre-season.

He came on at Palace but then started at Forest and seemed to show some positive attributes in terms of breaking up play and keeping it nice and simple. However, he rarely passed it forward and could not run with the ball at all. He became a regular but we conceded an awful lot of goals and for all the positive stats that were attributed to him, he never seemed to be in the right place to stop attacks and felt he hid a lot. He was by no means one of the worst players but was distinctly average and was not that quick, strong or good in the air – despite his impressive size/physique. He remained in the side for the most part despite not really standing out but we had so little behind him to compete. He did have a few decent games but these were few and far between.

Wilder came in and the first period we saw a bit of an uplift but once again we saw a lot of times where we would lose a goal and he would throw his arms up in the air or shout at others. He did not seem to take much responsibility at all. We did have a few good games after Xmas and was superb at Luton – his best game for the club where he scored a goal too- his only one but he could not maintain this form and Wilder started to get frustrated with his lack of really contributing anything. He only has picked up 2 bookings all season which says it all about his level of commitment. He started to annoy players with his finger pointing and gesticulating but not actually doing anything meaningful. We had arguments with players and nearly a fight with Robinson at Wolves! He then made the ridiculous claim that he would probably be in the Brazil squad if he played with better players/we kept the ball more. Which is laughable from a player that has been a regular in two straight relegation sides.

Wilder started to see the same as us – in that he is an imposter – somewhere who points and waves but does not get stuck in, does not get on the ball and seems to never be in the area where the ball is. He was taken out of the starting line up as the season came to an end and when Arblaster linked with Hamer we saw a huge upgrade in output. He is meant to protect the defence and stop shots, passes or runs coming into our box – yet all season we concede 4’s, 5’s, 6’s and 8’s! He has failed miserably in this regard and offers nothing at all going the other way. I have seen some say that in the right team he could be a contributor but I do not see it. He is not very fit (another) and not that mobile. He just sort of floats around doing nothing. Maybe a team will do what we did perhaps, and look at the stats and the build of him and think he can be an asset but if we got our money back or close to it, I would snatch a teams hand off. Sadly, I do not see a long line of suitors and feel the best we can hope for is a season loan somewhere to get a big chunk of his wage off the books (we would probably have to contribute some) and still would have two years on his deal left, even after next season. Another signing that we scouted and identified and has been a complete failure and waste of valuable funds. He is part of the losing/blame culture and I really do not like him as a player – his whole blame others and never seems to rally the team or help others but just acts selfishly in his attitude on the pitch.

Seems to be more interested in catching up with fellow Brazilians or mates when the game has finished than actually clapping fans or talking to his own team! We need to move him on somehow this summer. I do not even think he would be a success in the Championship as it is a physical league and he barely tackles/gets challenges in and also his lack of running power means he would struggle with the two weekly games that often happen.

Grade E- (Last season NA)

Oliver Norwood Norwood has been a regular for much of the promotion season and seemingly regained his form, being a key man as the Blades were right near the top. However, we did drop off and you recall Heckingbottom made the call to change things and Doyle was preferred for many of the final games when we regained form and went on to seal promotion well before the end of the season. Despite his form dipping, he had still been a significant contributor and was almost always available showing his fitness record. The concern, as we had seen last time at this level is the pace/movement and mobility would be too much and I think most thought he would only be a squad/bit part player. A handy lad to have around and clearly despite some undeserved criticism, could offer and contribute at times, even at this level.

When we signed Souza, Hamer and Slimane, you thought that he would be use much but of course our business was done late and with Berge moving out also and us unable to bring Doyle back, he ended up starting the opening games. It was hard to see him and Bash against Palace as clearly the attributes you need at this level, they do not quite possess. He remained in the side despite some of the new lads slowly getting fitness and coming in but was taken out at Spurs before he experienced a really difficult day against the power and movement of Newcastle. He came off that day but remained mostly in the side under Heckingbottom despite calls for us to make changes. It seemed him and Souza were quite similar and their lack of mobility and carrying of the ball, really hampered us. He did score a huge penalty, a superb hit, which showed a lot of bottle in the first win against Wolves. He continued to stat as the losses piled up and then the managerial change happened.

He was on the bench as Wilder started but then played at Villa but felt he was really poor – often just lumping the ball away. It seemed his impact and what he could do at this level now, was more limited than ever before. He started at Wolves and then the big defeat at home to Arsenal but then was on the bench and only came on briefly in games. The notion he would help us keep the ball and give us a steady, experienced head did not really happen as he was poor in the throwaway against Fulham. We saw off cameos but often when he came on, we dropped off and he did not really contribute anything, looking slow and way off the pace. He was used less and less as the season tailed off.

Some felt he should stay around citing his experience and ability at the lower level but for me, I think it was the right time to move on from him. He has been a fantastic servant and not deserved some of the unfair comments he has had in his time here. He has been one of our better midfielders in my lifetime and been a big part of two promotions and a fantastic period at the Lane. He has played over 200 games for us and been mostly a regular for a 6-year spell. He is still only 32 which is scary as seems a lot older (in how he moves!) and will probably get a deal in the Championship and still show some of the qualities he has but I am not sure he would be a regular in a side going for promotion – we do hope we will be that side next year – so despite his superb contributions, we cannot show sentiment with finances tight. We made the mistake last year of keeping Fleck (right to move on Sharp and Stevens in my opinion despite what they contributed off the field) a year too long so hope we can start to evolve the age and type of player we have at the club. With Hamer, Arblaster, Brooks, Davies, Slimane still under contract and probably wanting to bring a couple more in, and his legs really so seem to have gone now (he was never quick I accept). That said, what a player he has been for us and will be another that will get a huge ovation if/when he returns to the Lane as a player for another club. One of the best midfielders I have ever seen play for the Blades and been mostly a joy to watch until maybe this last season.

Grade E- (Last season B)

John Fleck
It was a real surprise that he was given another year. I fully expected like with Sharp and Stevens him to move on. He had rarely featured, not helped by some really scary moments in the previous few seasons and his better days seemed to be behind him. Several injuries and health issues meant it seemed a really strange move to retain him. I could not see him being involved at all and he had struggled the second season at this level before so it made no sense on any level? His goal against Preston should have been the perfect way to end his Blades career.

Whilst he remained, he was never seriously involved to start the season only being on the bench at best. He had more injuries again and I think broke his leg at some point but then came back quite quickly but after coming on as sub at Arenal and Bournemouth, he got a start against Burnley but was woeful and taken off. The higher level seemed way too much for him, even against a fellow struggler and pitching him in after so long our and so many injuries, seemed madness. His final Lane appearance came as a sub against Liverpool and at least he saw the pitch again and fittingly under Wilder, the manager who signed him. I thought being a Wilder favourite, he might remain but even he saw that he could contribute little at this level and was allowed to move on. The way his departure was handled was poor by the club with a brief tweet/story in the early hours of the morning after the window closes. He deserved better than that. Not sure what Blackburn saw that made them think he could contribute but they only took him on a short-term contract till the end of the season. Fleck probably would have hoped he could do enough to get another deal. The manager who signed him left not long after and Fleck only played one game as sub before getting another injury and one that rule him out of the season and end his Blackburn career you think.

I do not think he has ever been properly fit or not have some sort of injury for about 3 seasons now. He has rarely put together a run of games and the last period of his United career was sad as it saw fans be quite critical of him. The first 4 seasons at the Lane, he was simply fantastic and maybe our most consistent player (along with Bash and O’Connell) and he was such a big part of the rise up the leagues and so many memorable moments. We sometimes forget that he was superb in that first Premier League season – up to Covid and recall him bossing games against Burnley and Villa at the Lane. Been another fantastic servant and to think he cost us nothing. It is sad how things ended and hope one day he too will get a proper send off at the Lane. As for his own playing future, I have a feeling he may head back up to Scotland and probably even might get a deal in the SPL as the level of that outside of Rangers/Celtic is lower Champ/League One at best. You tend to think Baldock, Egan, Norwood, Fleck etc are really old but they all could have at least another 3 or 4 years in the game at a good level – if they get fit.

Grade F (Last season C)

Tom Davies Davies seems to have been around for a long time but then you realise he made his debut at 17 at Everton back in 2016. He seemed to be always in and around the Everton side after breaking through despite the Toffees going through managers regularly. Always recall him being an energetic, no-nonsense midfielder who could do a bit of everything and moved through the England age groups right up the u21’s too. Around 2017-18 he became a regular but the 33 games he played was to be the most he played and he was sort of in and out for the next few seasons and started to pick up injuries too. He played 8 seasons and in the end only started 95 games for Everton; which is around 12 per season so maybe United should have considered this when they signed him. He has signed a couple of long-term deals keeping him at Everton for so long but last season he did make 20 appearances either starting or off the bench so it is not like he did not play at all?

After his release, he was training at Bristol Rovers and maybe Championship teams could not afford his wages and other than the promoted teams, hard to see any Premier League teams giving him a deal - especially as he had rarely started for a team that nearly went down. His injury record alone probably scared a lot of teams off but Blackburn, Cardiff and Leeds were linked and then there was talk of clubs in France and Saudi Arabia and also Serie A side Monza were also supposedly keen. I was still surprised United signed him and to such a long deal (3 years) but thought if, a big if, we could keep him fit he would be asset as gave us Premier League experience and some legs in midfield – something we have lacked for some time.

Davies signed pretty much as the season started and it was not thought he would be fit for some time which again made the signing a bit puzzling considering our need? We barely saw him to start the season but then he came on at Spurs but after a few more sub appearances soon after this but seemed to get an injury and we did not see him until after Xmas. He made a few more appearances and did ok in limited time and was very good at Luton and helped us grab the vital third goal. He finally got a start at home to Arsenal but we were blown apart and he (and the rest) were not able to keep up with the dynamic and powerful Arsenal midfield. He came off at half time and this was repeated at Bournemouth a week later although again this seemed to be more injury related than general fitness although he also gave away a stupid penalty. He was then out again and Wilder said he would not come back this season a few weeks later. His signing has been a bit of a disaster so far considering I doubt his wages will be cheap and he has contributed very little but occupancy in the physio room. He has started only 2 games and not completed 90 minutes once – indeed the most he has played is 45 minutes – in his 9 appearances (7 from the bench) and only played 224 minutes by my reckoning which is equivalent to less than 2 and a half games.

I thought when he has played he has been ok and showed good industry, got around the field and been quite busy but sadly we have just not seen enough of him and the fact he has gone months without being available is not good enough. I think if United had their time back, they would have not signed him or only got him on a 1-year deal – 2 at most. We now are saddled with him for another 3 years and seems unlikely from his recent history, that we are going to be able to count on him much as he is so injury prone. Hope I am wrong and he comes back and gets fit as at Championship level supporting Hamer, Arblaster, Brooks etc, he could be a real asset but I am not holding my breath and like with Brewster, just see anything he offers now as a bonus.

Grade F (Last season NA)

I think you have been a bit soft on Souza

if all of these stayed, that would be a very good championship midfield

Gus Hamer 3 years (2027)

if all of these stayed, that would be a very good championship midfield

Gus Hamer 3 years (2027)

this is true.

Although if Hamer and Arblaster depart, that becomes a very average midfield with no goals or assists in it.

Clear negligence from the Club in recruitment here especially giving the next James Wallace 3 years but then again following the logic we should have taken injury prone Osborn up on his deal we can empathise that we are paying the wages of an injured player for next 2 years. Jesus Wept

Who was responsible for the signing of Souza as well?

Given we haven't had a good transfer window for a few years I hope we improve in this Area.

Good stuff Deadbat

He then made the ridiculous claim that he would probably be in the Brazil squad if he played with better players/we kept the ball more. Which is laughable from a player that has been a regular in two straight relegation sides.
Doubly laughable, since one of the main reasons we couldn’t keep the ball more was because he was playing for us, the useless big lump 🤷‍♂️

Seems Coulibaly has another year so will probably remain - unless someone takes him off our hands/loan or permanent

Back
Top Bottom