Saudi National Day Tweet

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JackSUFC

Reaction score
Causing a bit of a stir on Twitter today:

Oliver Holt’s been quite vocal against Newcastle’s owners so no surprise to see him comment. If you search ‘Sheffield United Saudi’ on Twitter though there’s a lot of people unhappy with our alleged ‘sportswashing’.

Personally I’m not too bothered. Maybe I should be but it’s not as if we are owned by the Saudi Government, is it?

I’m going to assume it’s just an innocent message to any Saudi fans we might have picked up over the last few years thanks to the Prince and PL spell.

Perhaps Oliver Holt thinks we should ban Saudi oil as well as Russian oil, but then he might want to tell us how we are all going to heat our homes or travel to work if we do that. It's easy to take the moral high ground when you are a sports journalist without having to provide workable solutions to the repercussions of your moral preaching. As a side note - I bet he goes to Qatar for the world cup armed with free tickets and all expenses paid to stay in swanky hotels.....not bothering to comment on the human rights issues for the people who built the stadiums until AFTER he returns, if at all.

Fucking moronic and pointless tweet from the club.
We aren’t owned by the Saudi state so we shouldn’t undo the great inclusivity strides we’ve made by linking ourselves with them. As dumb as it is grim.
Hate to think what you feel about England participating in a world cup over there if a tweet rubs your rhubarb that much.

I think Saudi as a government is backwards but if you judge everyone in a country by their government you are also backwards. Be like if a English owned company put out a St George's Day tweet and people brought up all the stuff they didn't like about Government policy. Just daft.

Hate to think what you feel about England participating in a world cup over there if a tweet rubs your rhubarb that much.
Imagine making the effort to build a dumb straw man thinking you were being clever, only for it to be a self own which just highlights your own stupidity and ignorance.
Congrats, I don’t have anything to add.

I think it's more to do with drumming up investment, as we're top of the league, heading for the PL and so HRH needs to keep our Saudi profile high.

Fucking moronic and pointless tweet from the club.
We aren’t owned by the Saudi state so we shouldn’t undo the great inclusivity strides we’ve made by linking ourselves with them. As dumb as it is grim.

I’d much much rather we weren’t owned by someone with links to the Saudi regime. But we are, it’s all legal, he seems a decent enough chap, and we’re not a governmental sportswashing enterprise. Moreover, the club’s inclusivity and community work is strong under his ownership.

So I can’t worry too much about tweet marking a Saudi holiday when the real issue is the owner’s links to the regime.

I’d much much rather we weren’t owned by someone with links to the Saudi regime. But we are, it’s all legal, he seems a decent enough chap, and we’re not a governmental sportswashing enterprise. Moreover, the club’s inclusivity and community work is strong under his ownership.

So I can’t worry too much about tweet marking a Saudi holiday when the real issue is the owner’s links to the regime.
The first paragraph covers why I think it’s an odd tweet to make. We’ve nothing to do with the state, else there would be a more prominent problem with Newcastle, so why do it?
tincan could be onto something as it’s the only logical thing that’s been mentioned so far, but given our owner has been reducing his profile since the Newcastle take over, it seems odd and contradictory.

It could be a lot worse....we could have an owner who uses the SUFC Twitter account to announce that he has just transferred parts of the football clubs real estate into his own name, so that he can hold the club to ransom for years to come, unless the club pays way above market value to transfer it back.

I'm sure people in UK can take the moral high ground when we've had cunts like Boris Johnson as our leader.
Funny that, we can actually, given that our leaders - for all their myriad faults - tend not to authorise the live dismemberment of foreign journalists critical to their regime or stone homosexuals.

Funny that, we can actually, given that our leaders - for all their myriad faults - tend not to authorise the live dismemberment of foreign journalists critical to their regime or stone homosexuals.

I wouldn't put owt past Bozza

He's at least 50. Going grey. Wears an Alice band. His opinion matters not.

But since our owner took over we've established a full fledged women's team competing for promotion to the Premier League.

Leave the bitter twat to findng Just for Men in Superdrug

Beerschot fans not too happy.

Chateauroux don't have any.

Kerala United and Al-Hilal United tweeted nothing.

Not sure why someone would get so triggered about wishing the ownership of the club's country a happy national day.

It's a simple friendly wish to the people who live there and due to the ownership probably have an added interest in United than they might ordinarily do.

It's hardly signing your life away in support of every aspect of the regime and how the entire country is run. Besides which, the Prince has been a decent owner and has shown no sign of extremism in his actions or views.

If Oliver Holt wants to spend his time getting all upset about it, then good luck to him.

For the Beerschot ones, their distrust of United World and Saudi Arabia I'd say has little to do with the regime and far more to do with poor decision making such as letting Tissoudali's contract run down too late that they then sold him for a pittance, a lack of signings and mishmash recruitment last summer and perceived lack of engagement locally. Just what I've understood anyway.

Last edited:

It’s a post about Saudi Arabia from a club with strong links to the country. We even have a store over there and a dedicated Twitter channel in Arabic.

If you’re offended by that there’s a club close by that will force you to partake in a memorial to the king of Thailand if you’d prefer.

Back
Top Bottom