Sami

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Although he was one of the fundamental reasons why we were struggling to keep the ball?

Maybe, but at the end of the day he's in there with Basham, Lundstram and Lafferty. Not Coutts and Fleck.

He thought Carruthers played well.......
I did not say carruthers played well. Indeed I said he did not. Get your reading glasses on.

My view is that at least he didn't do his usual routine of running into blind alleys and losing possession. He actually played with a bit of discipline. As for the other 2, Lafferty did OK playing out of position and lunny demonstrated why he's currently 5th or 6th choice when we have all available players

I did not say carruthers played well. Indeed I said he did not. Get your reading glasses on.

My view is that at least he didn't do his usual routine of running into blind alleys and losing possession. He actually played with a bit of discipline. As for the other 2, Lafferty did OK playing out of position and lunny demonstrated why he's currently 5th or 6th choice when we have all available players

No you didn't. Sorry. I'd still argue that far from being best of the three he was the worst.

Carruthers did a job against a Prem midfield. For some reason he gets pelters every game he plays even though he did a job again. It was a very disciplined performance of which I’m sure he was asked to do and he will play better with better players around him but anyone would struggle to standout in a midfield like ours on Friday. He’s a gifted player who will make a good Championship player, maybe not here with the looks of it but he will make one.

What you tend to find with some Blades fans is that they have this fixation with a sitting midfielder and want us to sell players like Brooks because they see it as good business with the pound signs in view, I’ve seen it on here, what a load of bollocks, it’s because of these sorts of players why you win games of football. You can draw a lot of games with dull and boring midfielders as the pigs are finding out but what any team needs are players who are willing to do that bit extra and are given the licence to do it, Carruthers when played doesn’t get this licence imo that’s why fans see him as not good enough currently.

Lundstram has his flaws, and he may lack a little of dynamism necessary to be a starter for us on a consistent basis, but he is twice the player and puts in twice the effort of Samir Carruthers.

He was OK. probably the best of the 3 who started. Can only remember 1 occasion when he held on to it too long and was dispossessed, which is one of his most irritating habits.

Had a chance from in the box late on that went wide, a sharp chance that would have been great to see go the other side of the post.

He is probably fighting with Lunny to be7th choice for a midfield start behind Fleck/Duffy/Evans/Leonard/Holmes/Brooks.

No wonder we lost with only 3 players on the pitch. Did well to keep the score down to 0-1.:)

Lundstram has his flaws, and he may lack a little of dynamism necessary to be a starter for us on a consistent basis, but he is twice the player and puts in twice the effort of Samir Carruthers.

Completely different players. Apples and oranges

Completely different players. Apples and oranges

Alright, if you want to be pedantic about it...taking into account their different roles in the team, Lundstram makes twice as much of a positive contribution and makes twice as much effort. Better?

Lundstram was good for me. Cannot believe how two footed he is. I wouldn’t have wanted to be him playing in a midfield three that consisted of Carruthers (Who was poor) and Lafferty (Who tried but out of position).

Alright, if you want to be pedantic about it...taking into account their different roles in the team, Lundstram makes twice as much of a positive contribution and makes twice as much effort. Better?

How’s that being pedantic? Blackman made more of a contribution than Lundstram on Friday, is it as simple as saying ‘Blackman is a better player than Lundstram’?
Carruthers is an attacking player, that’s his first instinct whereas Lundstram’s isn’t to the same extent. Yes, Carruthers is going to lose the ball at times but that’s because he’s trying things with it. Eventually that’ll get beaten out of him and when he turns and passes the ball backwards instead of trying to beat his man, it’ll be ‘fuckingetraandim’ without a hint of irony. As for effort, jogging back when Chilwell broke is bollocks. He was just too quick

How’s that being pedantic? Blackman made more of a contribution than Lundstram on Friday, is it as simple as saying ‘Blackman is a better player than Lundstram’?
Carruthers is an attacking player, that’s his first instinct whereas Lundstram’s isn’t to the same extent. Yes, Carruthers is going to lose the ball at times but that’s because he’s trying things with it. Eventually that’ll get beaten out of him and when he turns and passes the ball backwards instead of trying to beat his man, it’ll be ‘fuckingetraandim’ without a hint of irony. As for effort, jogging back when Chilwell broke is bollocks. He was just too quick

You thought Samir was sprinting after him then and just couldn't catch him?

That’s how I remember it and it happened right in front of me. Got any footage of it? I’d be happy to take another look

He wasn’t sprinting but he would’ve never caught him and that’s why he didn’t sprint, he’d have been wasting energy for the sake of it, our whole team did a lot of running Friday night, apart from Blackman of course.

He wasn’t sprinting but he would’ve never caught him and that’s why he didn’t sprint, he’d have been wasting energy for the sake of it, our whole team did a lot of running Friday night, apart from Blackman of course.

I didn't say he would have caught him. He hardly made an effort to get back to cover the extra man they had forward. I'm pretty sure the Ball was on its way back towards the edge of our penalty area once he actually got back. Irrespective, I thought it was more of the same from him overall. Ineffective and generally lacking. Which is why he doesn't get a league start.

I didn't say he would have caught him. He hardly made an effort to get back to cover the extra man they had forward. I'm pretty sure the Ball was on its way back towards the edge of our penalty area once he actually got back. Irrespective, I thought it was more of the same from him overall. Ineffective and generally lacking. Which is why he doesn't get a league start.
It looks like I’m in a minority who still sees a player in him that hasn’t had a substantial run in a settled team and when he does get snippets doesn’t get played to his best attributes imo. He’d be a good player played of a striker, just give him a free role.

When he was signed in the first few games he looked like a promising signing but as time has gone on he has just got worse. Very disappointed with Carruthers don’t think his future lies st the Lane

It's a little pedantic to say we can't compare the contributions of two players because one is an attacking mid and the other plays more defensively, yes.

I'm not just talking about one match on Friday though, I'm talking about the season as a whole, and I'd suggest that Lunny has made a much bigger contribution and has proven himself a better player.

You could see a good player in there on Friday night, I thought. Didn't have a great game, but no one in midfield did.

It's a little pedantic to say we can't compare the contributions of two players because one is an attacking mid and the other plays more defensively, yes.

I'm not just talking about one match on Friday though, I'm talking about the season as a whole, and I'd suggest that Lunny has made a much bigger contribution and has proven himself a better player.

Sorry missed the part in your OP where you said ‘over the season’. Even then, one has started 4 games and the other 13. So no doubt he’s made a bigger contribution but there are mitigating circumstances. Sorry if that doesn’t fit with the anti-Carruthers narrative though :)

Sorry missed the part in your OP where you said ‘over the season’. Even then, one has started 4 games and the other 13. So no doubt he’s made a bigger contribution but there are mitigating circumstances. Sorry if that doesn’t fit with the anti-Carruthers narrative though :)

The use of tense in both of my first two posts made it perfectly clear that I was referring to more than one match.

I think we've seen enough of both players to be able to form a valid opinion of their relative merits, and that Lundstram is better and more valuable to the team than Carruthers. If you disagree, state what qualities you think Samir brings to the table instead of engaging in this arm-waving and whataboutery.

Passing opinions on Samir's performances in a United shirt leads to 'anti Carruthers "cabal" ' on football forum.

Hammond, Sammon, Woolford, Stewart ,Williams and the like must be thinking it's so unfair.

The use of tense in both of my first two posts made it perfectly clear that I was referring to more than one match.

I think we've seen enough of both players to be able to form a valid opinion of their relative merits, and that Lundstram is better and more valuable to the team than Carruthers. If you disagree, state what qualities you think Samir brings to the table instead of engaging in this arm-waving and whataboutery.

Remember the game against Bolton last season when he ran from the halfway line and nearly scored? That’s what he can do. Same as Brooks, albeit not on the same level. They have the ability to decide a game with a bit of skill. Lundstram doesn’t have that, which isn’t a criticism because he’s not that kind of player. But Carruthers (and Brooks, and Holmes, and Duffy) will lose the ball sometimes because they’re risk takers. But a couple of times against Leicester he got the ball and got his head up, he beat his man with a nice bit of skill before losing it. He’s by no means the answer at the minute and is deservedly behind the three mentioned earlier in the pecking order, but he seems to be the latest target for the boo boys.

Back
Top Bottom