Safe Standing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

May as well have safe standing in safe standing areas compared to what we have now; unsafe standing in seating areas.

Was just coming to say that.....nade me laugh on the LBC headlines the other day, for the first time since 1994.....nope, we've just had nearly 20 years of unsafe standing 🙄🤷‍♂️

I don't understand why it's even a debate. Germany have had them for years. This is my view when I went to watch Hamburg a few years. People have this thought that if someone is stood infront, then you can't see if seated behind. This simply isn't true

1641376106975.png1641376166544.png

Get them put in, in every part of the ground for me. People who wish to sit will sit. Those who want to stand will stand. The majority will still be sat at home apart from maybe the back of Kop and H-Block.

I do think the PL should make it mandatory for Rail Seats to be installed in ALL away ends.

Get them put in, in every part of the ground for me. People who wish to sit will sit. Those who want to stand will stand. The majority will still be sat at home apart from maybe the back of Kop and H-Block.
Not trying to be awkward, honestly, but I don’t seem to be able to see all of the penalty area and the corner flag area away to the right. Don’t think that person is likely to sit when the ball goes down the other end, or am I missing something? I think once this was in place I would be going with the understanding that I would be standing only in the safe standings areas. On that basis I think there should be still some areas that are 1. Seats only 2. Stewarded properly.

Not trying to be awkward, honestly, but I don’t seem to be able to see all of the penalty area and the corner flag area away to the right. Don’t think that person is likely to sit when the ball goes down the other end, or am I missing something? I think once this was in place I would be going with the understanding that I would be standing only in the safe standings areas. On that basis I think there should be still some areas that are 1. Seats only 2. Stewarded properly.
Perspective from photographs is often lost. You'll always get someone who can obscure your view from time to time, but honestly, the views in both Bundesliga games that I have been too have been far better than most places in the UK. The space you get is incredible.

Here's another view from my seat at Hamburg. Bit fuzzy as it's a still from a video.
1641380984260.png

A video on safe standing rail seats is shown here. I don't think we would ever lock them off in the UK and would always go with a 1:1 ratio:

And here's Chelsea at the weekend. The blokes circled are standing

1641381188790.png

I can’t understand why you’d go in a safe standing area and sit down. Presumably Chelsea did some sort of consultation on this beforehand with fans, so they knew it was coming and had the chance to move seats?

I can’t understand why you’d go in a safe standing area and sit down. Presumably Chelsea did some sort of consultation on this beforehand with fans, so they knew it was coming and had the chance to move seats?

You do realise what happens with rail seating when in standing configuration, right?

I can't decide whether there's gonna be ample opportunity to tell folk to SIDDARN or no opportunity at all.

For that reason, I'm out.

mattbianco1 Thanks for that, it’s given more clarity. One thing I hadn’t considered is that those standing with rail seating are not as big an obstruction as someone standing in a seated area now because they will lean forward onto the bar. Double post sorry.

Last edited:
Perspective from photographs is often lost. You'll always get someone who can obscure your view from time to time, but honestly, the views in both Bundesliga games that I have been too have been far better than most places in the UK. The space you get is incredible.

Here's another view from my seat at Hamburg. Bit fuzzy as it's a still from a video.
Thanks for that, it’s given more clarity. One thing I hadn’t considered is that those standing with rail seating are not as big an obstruction as someone standing in a seated area now because they will lean forward onto the bar

One thing I hadn’t considered is that those standing with rail seating are not as big an obstruction as someone standing in a seated area now because they will lean forward onto the bar
They're also an extra step down too if done right.

I don't understand why it's even a debate. Germany have had them for years. This is my view when I went to watch Hamburg a few years. People have this thought that if someone is stood infront, then you can't see if seated behind. This simply isn't true

View attachment 127468View attachment 127469

I do think the PL should make it mandatory for Rail Seats to be installed in ALL away ends.
Those sat behind people standing can't see a thing. They've just, quite rightly, realised that staring at some bloke's arse is preferable to watching the Volksparkschweine

I thought the safe standing area was good at Cardiff but we didn't sell out so it would be interesting to see what happens in a full away end with more fans wanting to stand than there are allocated.

Great news, another step forward. I know we've had some discussions and I hope we continue to push ahead.

With the Kop due to be redeveloped in the coming years, I feel we're at a crossroads. Look backwards and end up with a new stand that's already out of date and expensive to retrofit or look to the future and have something that really engages fans.

The overwhelming majority of fans want the option of standing at the match and it's a real shame it's taken 30+ years to get here.

And here's Chelsea at the weekend. The blokes circled are standing

1641381188790-png.127473
It looks like tiny people trapped behind one of those shutters you get in front of shops in shopping malls.

And a decent sized section stretching all across South Stand, from one end t'other
Doubt there'd be the demand for the whole kop and a section of the south, but we shouldn't "just" do a section of the kop imo. There's no point just doing the back few rows as they all stand up anyway. That would add nothing to the atmosphere in the ground.

Do it big, do it proper, make the lane a fortress.

Doubt there'd be the demand for the whole kop and a section of the south, but we shouldn't "just" do a section of the kop imo. There's no point just doing the back few rows as they all stand up anyway. That would add nothing to the atmosphere in the ground.

Do it big, do it proper, make the lane a fortress.
Yep but forget demand... Atmosphere needs this. It's my only real gripe with SUFC... Not enough (regular) atmosphere.

Doubt we'll see it come to fruition at the Lane, not with the 'sAfEtY aDvIsOrY gRoUp' consisting of the wankest local government and wankest police force in the northern hemisphere calling the shots.

Genuine question to those who want a standing section - of a reasonable size - what are your thoughts on pricing. Would you expect tickets to be cheaper or the same as seats? Probably not an issue for those who choose to stand at the back of the Kop etc, more for those who’d transfer to it or returners to the Lane.

Back
Top Bottom