Safe Standing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Apparently this clown in the interview is former SYP.

I am pro safe standing but there obviously are additional issues, like with fans moving to the standing area that police and stewards need to monitor but to think to think it makes you more likely to do drugs is crazy.

Unfortunately he’s already a well known critic on all this, but the amount of evidence-free stuff he’s been spouting yesterday, often unchallenged by the interviewer, was quite remarkable.

I think this is all about why you go to a match in the first place , do you go to a game just for the football, or is there another underlying reason ?

Should convert the useless Kop corner into a standing area
Unfortunately the Kop is a prime example of simply putting seating onto standing terrace. In all its 30 year history the Kop never looked like a proper stand. It has alway looked like it was standing area converted into a makeshift seating area. So it wouldn’t be such a big upheaval to change it back again...At least the back half of it anyway.

Worst thing is he wasn't even just ex SYP. He was the DCC so almost as high as you can get.

The even worse thing again is that he was Head of Football Policing for the entire country until recently 🤯🤯🤯

The even worse thing than that, is the fact that for some reason he was considered the best in his field for the job he was doing which speaks volumes for the rest of the senior police officers or are they all promoted to the highest level of their incompetence. Rather like referees and senior premier league And EFL personnel, just not in touch with the people they represent and influence

Last edited:
I actually have nothing against standing as long as it's not behind me, that's asking for trouble,
Let it be at the front for people who truly want to watch the match standing. not at the back for those who just don't want to be seen....... 😉

I‘m old enough to have stood at matches and now I sit. I’ll never get this obsession with standing, I’ve had great times doing both.
But I’d rather have a seat every day of the week and it’s not because of my age.

I’ll

Ever since my knee injury I've found it impossible to sit for more than 30 minutes; if we don't score in the first half-an-hour I'm in absolute agony. If we score before half-time I make sure I get my money's worth of standing up to celebrate by giving my knee a right good stretch. At work, because of my knackered shoulder, back, and knee, they gave me the only desk in the building that goes up and down at the press of a button, making me the envy of all! The trouble is, I can't stand for more than 30 minutes either before I start to feel uncomfortable, so what you end up with is my desk emitting whirring noises every half-hour and me going up and down like a whore's drawers, that is if her clients all take the option of 30 minutes without oral (er, I've been told about these sort of things, okay...?).

Ahem, anyway, this standing and sitting thing with these strange hybrid seat/barrier wotsits sounds ideal - count me in!

I‘m old enough to have stood at matches and now I sit. I’ll never get this obsession with standing, I’ve had great times doing both.
But I’d rather have a seat every day of the week and it’s not because of my age.

I’ll

Agree you should have the choice to sit if you wish. This isn’t about making standing compulsory, which ironically at times on the Kip if you want to see anything then you must stand.

Surely having a choice is the best solution to keep the vast majority happy.

Agree you should have the choice to sit if you wish. This isn’t about making standing compulsory, which ironically at times on the Kip if you want to see anything then you must stand.

Surely having a choice is the best solution to keep the vast majority happy.
"...on the Kip..."? Is that Safe Lying Down now as well? Gets better!

Ever since my knee injury I've found it impossible to sit for more than 30 minutes; if we don't score in the first half-an-hour I'm in absolute agony. If we score before half-time I make sure I get my money's worth of standing up to celebrate by giving my knee a right good stretch. At work, because of my knackered shoulder, back, and knee, they gave me the only desk in the building that goes up and down at the press of a button, making me the envy of all! The trouble is, I can't stand for more than 30 minutes either before I start to feel uncomfortable, so what you end up with is my desk emitting whirring noises every half-hour and me going up and down like a whore's drawers, that is if her clients all take the option of 30 minutes without oral (er, I've been told about these sort of things, okay...?).

Ahem, anyway, this standing and sitting thing with these strange hybrid seat/barrier wotsits sounds ideal - count me in!

I have a similar issue with my knee in cramped spaces. It's more comfortable standing.

Why not stand in the back few rows of the Kop ?

You must have been in constant agony last season!

I am for safe standing and the rail seats that go with it if it was implemented say on the Kop would this mean it a reduced capacity to allow for the spacing of rail seats or could this lead to increased capacity?

I am for safe standing and the rail seats that go with it if it was implemented say on the Kop would this mean it a reduced capacity to allow for the spacing of rail seats or could this lead to increased capacity?
I don’t think they can increase capacity. Interesting discussion on the price of safe standing on the Price of Football podcast a few months ago:

This is something that we’ve had asked a few times, and the answer isn’t a simple one.

For rail seating, and the current safe standing trials, it’s a 1:1 re: capacity - they can’t use it to expand capacity as currently allowed.

However, it is hoped that when the trials end and safe standing is, all being well, rolled out more widely that there may be loosened – below the Championship for example it can be used to increase up to 80%.

There are caveats to that though, and space is the key issue to what couldn’t be brought in on somewhere like the Kop, where the space is already lower than what would be advised if newly built.

A few clubs have done a bit of a hybrid between standard seats and rail seats. So on the continent, and at clubs like Celtic and Shrewsbury, they’ve brought in seats with integrated rails. That involves replacing the traditional seats on each row. Others (all the PL clubs and Cardiff) have separate rails that have been added by existing seating (or new seating in Spurs’s case). That’s obviously cheaper to do, but you’re next to an older seat that takes up much more of the row.

For the Kop, it looks unlikely that adding a rail separately by the existing seating where you’re already squeezed for space would be feasible. But the style of integrated row would, and actually makes more sense to free up more space for fans to stand even if that’s capacity neutral.

If you’re interested added a bit more detail on this on our FAQs: https://www.standunited.uk/faqs

Back
Top Bottom