RIP Eddie Colquhoun.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Out of the players that played in the 1970/71 season (competitive matches only)

Tony Currie
Geoff Salmons
Bill Dearden
Ted Hemsley (saw him at Sainsburys in Dronfield yesterday morning)
David Powell
John Tudor
John Flynn
David Ford
Colin Addison
John Barnwell
Frank Barlow
Graeme Crawford
Pat Buckley

No longer here

Trevor Hockey
Gil Reece
Alan Woodward
Alan Hodgkinson
John Hope
Len Badger
Eddie Colquhoun
Mick Heaton
More than what I thought Silent!I was looking at the players who played a good few games ! A lot of those have gone .
Memories still strong Frank Barlow Dave Powell John Flinn John Tudor David Ford and not forgetting John Barnwell he was a ball juggler so I would expect him to appreciate the skills of Ndiahe ! not many players with those skills make it at the top level.

Arrived really early for a boxing day game at Notts County (or maybe new year's day!) so we could park up and go drinking near the ground. It was then announced the game was postponed due to heavy snow on the pitch. We bumped into Eddie outside the ground who was bloody furious - fag in hand and cursing the fact he had had to keep off the booze the night before. However, he cheered up when he realised he could go for a few beers with the rest of the team now the game was off. RIP Eddie.
It was New Year's Day 1977 I think. I also got to County to find the match postponed.

And finally getting his Scottish cap!

View attachment 158159
I remember being really excited to watch him play against England in 1973 but he had a bit of a ‘mare. But the whole Scottish team did (nothing new there).
England won 5-0 at Hampden Park.

I also remember chatting to Sir Leonard Badger once and he talked about the great efforts he made to keep conditioned, and how it used to make him mad that Eddie and Woody smoked liked chimneys but could still outrun him.

He was a little before my time, but friends, family and fellow blades always spoke fondly of Eddie all these years later.
RIP blades legend. You'll be sadly missed & always remembered.

Last edited:

One of the best CBs we've ever had and a vital part of one of our best-ever teams.
Hard as granite on the field (and in the tunnel), as good as you could hope to meet off it.
RIP Eddie - you will be sorely missed.

EDB9FF1C-5A91-4BA3-AEEC-51718AD911F5.jpeg

Great pic Utd have tweeted of Eddie, a big strong handsome bastard he was. So many great memories of following the Blades back then, wouldn’t change them for the world.

Even those balls bring back amazing memories of playing football with them when I was a young man.

Can’t be there but I’m sure the crowd will be very loud for a great man.

Silent,

I have a vague memory of Eddie scoring both goals in our 2-2 draw at Loftus Rd in 1971, is my memory sound or playing tricks again?

So, apart from getting the following wrong:-

a) Season
b) Opponent
c) Ground
d) Team scored for

I was pretty much spot on, Eddie did at least once score two in a game 🙂
He did score twice in the 5-0 home win against Villa in November 1969

I think Eddie deserved a one minutes silence.
Maybe because I am old but a one minute silence just seems to show more respect like playing the last post at the lane each year.

Baggies fan here.
Very sorry to hear that Eddie has passed away. He signed for us in Feb 1967 about 2 weeks before I first went to the Baggies as a 7 year old. We only had one season of him but I always remembered him as a very good player. Obviously he went on to have a great career at your club. I could never say his surname as a kid !
If i remember correctly he only missed out on our 1968 FACup win as he had broken his leg.
Coincidentally our manager in 67 , who signed Eddie was Jimmy Hagan(another one of your legends!!!). He signed some great players for us during the early to mid 60s..make our current lot look a bit naff !!.
Good luck in the Prem..I think youre up now. Dont think we'll be joining you..on fringe of playoffs but something missing with this team.
RIP Eddie.

Baggies fan here.
Very sorry to hear that Eddie has passed away. He signed for us in Feb 1967 about 2 weeks before I first went to the Baggies as a 7 year old. We only had one season of him but I always remembered him as a very good player. Obviously he went on to have a great career at your club. I could never say his surname as a kid !
If i remember correctly he only missed out on our 1968 FACup win as he had broken his leg.
Coincidentally our manager in 67 , who signed Eddie was Jimmy Hagan(another one of your legends!!!). He signed some great players for us during the early to mid 60s..make our current lot look a bit naff !!.
fb_img_1681901482208-jpg.158262

Back
Top Bottom