Retained list 2023/24

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So if the list was provided by the 3rd Saturday in May , how can we have changed our mind on Osborne only days ago ?
The contract doesn't need to be finalised by then, we just need to tell the board if we have offered them a contract or exercised an option on the contract.

Call me old-fashioned, but wouldn’t it be better all round if the club fronted up and published its own retained list, rather than devolving it to the likes of Rimmy?

Or maybe I’ve missed the point, and this was to be a discussion rather an announcement. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, l don't think the Ramble were going to announce the list, just react to it.

this delay surely has something to do with the proposed takeover looking like some players who were going to be part of the retained list might now be surplus to requirements and also think chris wilders position is under big threat

this delay surely has something to do with the proposed takeover looking like some players who were going to be part of the retained list might now be surplus to requirements and also think chris wilders position is under big threat
It's not surprising really. If you're a multi millionaire looking to pump millions into buying Sheffield United, would you keep Chris Wilder on after last season and the January transfer window?

They'll be looking at results, performance, squad value with resale potential. All they’ll see is a squad worth relatively nothing in resale potential, but for Arblaster, Hamer and arguably Anel. The rest have all devalued. The results have been awful under Wilder with battering after battering. Bramall Lane became a joke on match days, where 3 points was nailed on and if you're lucky the Blades might just let you put 4 or 5 past them at home. Wilder's record was woeful. I wouldn't keep him on if I was pumping millions into buying the club.

The fact that the usual YouTube /Twitter(X) posters no longer appear to be as ‘in the know’ with the Prince…. indicates to me that there may be more to the takeover rumours than I first thought this time around. If the takeover is ‘real’ I guess things may start to leak more over the next few weeks.

Knilly's currently on my train to London. Must be scouting at the cup final 😂😂

Not connected. The club sent the league the list on Tuesday. It's just the club hasn't publicised it yet. Once the club has done the social 'tributes' to last week's five, they'll publish the full retained list.

My theory regards the retained list is that some of our players, like McBurnie and Jebbison still haven't agreed new contracts.
So both are not on the retained list, however both still need more time to weigh up their options and both might still sign.

If both ended up signings contract in June, then some of our fans would hold that against them citing that they can't be that committed.
So better to keep it secret until we know exactly what's happening with some of our players.

Obviously we could give them both an ultimatum and say sign by 24th May or we've dropped all our interest
but both United and the players wish to keep the door open past the deadline. Could be totally wrong, it's just a guess.

My theory regards the retained list is that some of our players, like McBurnie and Jebbison still haven't agreed new contracts.
So both are not on the retained list, however both still need more time to weigh up their options and both might still sign.

If both ended up signings contract in June, then some of our fans would hold that against them citing that they can't be that committed.
So better to keep it secret until we know exactly what's happening with some of our players.

Obviously we could give them both an ultimatum and say sign by 24th May or we've dropped all our interest
but both United and the players wish to keep the door open past the deadline.
Wilder insinuated that there had been a deadline set for those offered new deals, as he's eager to crack on with the rebuild and doesn't want it delayed by players sat on deals for ages.

Last edited:
Not connected. The club sent the league the list on Tuesday. It's just the club hasn't publicised it yet. Once the club has done the social 'tributes' to last week's five, they'll publish the full retained list.
So we missed the 3rd Saturday of May deadline?

The fabled five were announced on the 16th, 2 days before the 3rd Saturday. l don't see why we'd have delayed the rest of the list for 5 days.

Also, how do you know the specifics of when a correspondence was sent from within the club?

Last edited:
It’s funny that we miss deadlines for payments and miss deadlines for retained lists.

We are just so poorly run.

So we missed the 3rd Saturday of May deadline?

The fabled five were announced on the 16th, 2 days before the 3rd Saturday. l don't see why we'd have delayed the rest of the list for 5 days.

Also, how do you know the specifics of when a correspondence was sent from within the club?
Still curious about this BalticBlade

Hope this isn't a drag on.. we already need around 10 players and that's not including players who still may leave! (Anel, Souza, Slimane, Traore, Egan, Bogle, Osborn, RND, Jebbison, McBurnie)

Least we've got the Pre season fixtures out though..

Back
Top Bottom