Rare Simon Tracey Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Alan Kelly for me, judged by consistency over a long period of time. His performance in the FA Cup semi v. Wednesday as being one of the crucial moments in our history. In my opinion we’ve yet to properly avenge Boxing Day, and if he hadn’t played like he did that day they would now be singing songs about it.

Judged by a shorter period of time, then Mel Rees. No argument to anyone ever bettering his levels of performance in the few games he played for us. World class is a phrase thrown about nowadays, but he was. He went from reserve keeper in the championship to being called up by Wales in about 8 games.

Tracey? A good keeper who got worse over time. His golden spell was 89/90 to 91/92. He was seen at the time as a being in the same bracket as David James.

He seemed to get heavier, get injured more often and I’m not sure whether off field behaviour began to effect on field performance.

Capable of brilliance on his day, but also jaw dropping stupidity. Had the brains of a rocking horse according to DB. He had a habit of charging out of his area and got sent off a few times when there was no need. It also happened a few times when he went on loan, rushing out and misjudging the ball.

He also was a Jonah, he was in net v. Chelsea when we went down, he was in net v. Palace in the play offs, he started the Battle of Bramall Lane. He played for Wimbledon in the charity shield when they lost to liverpool, he played for man city when they got battered by Man Utd 5-0 (still a record I think), he played on loan for Norwich when they got battered 5-0 by Everton and he played once on loan at Wimbledon when the got done 4-1.

Loved Trace growing up. My favourite all time keeper. Once saw him nip out the back of a hospitality tent at abbeydale cricket ground during a Sunday league game (yorks/Northants I think) run up the banking and take a leak 🤣

Loved Trace growing up. My favourite all time keeper. Once saw him nip out the back of a hospitality tent at abbeydale cricket ground during a Sunday league game (yorks/Northants I think) run up the banking and take a leak 🤣
I wonder whether that was the match where Anil Kumble was racially abused (first time I'd ever witnessed anything like that, I think)?!

Anyway, back to the subject, I was a Kelly man (boy) myself, remembering him as no. 1 when I started watching United properly. Loved Tracey as well, though. We've been lucky with our keepers (on the whole) haven't we!

Back
Top Bottom