RAPFA pre season meeting invitation - Saturday 9th of July

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If northern beer is 'supposed' to be pushed through a sparkler, and tastes rubbish without it, then what about bottled ale? or do you prefer your ale with a creamflow widget....

Never said owt about it tasting 'rubbish'. Just not as good. Like you said, it is a question of taste and depends on the individual. For me bottled beer, beer straight from the barrel and ale served without a sparkler can still be very nice. I prefer it served through a sparkler though. As others have stated. I prefer the cremier, fuller bodied texture that comes from airing it and having a head. My opinion is that Yorkshire (particularly) and Northern beers should be put through a sparkler. But I respect that others may disagree and not want to do it. Like you say Highbury, the bottom line is that it is down to the individual and is a question of taste.

I think you'll find many Northern breweries do not recommend sparklers at all. A lot of Northern beers are brewed with more bitterness because northern pubs serve them with sparklers, so that all the bitterness of the ale is not concentrated in the head. So we have a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

My favourite Northern brewery has it spot on.

They say it's down to the landlord/customer to choose, and i would wholeheartedly agree with that.

http://roosters.co.uk/?page_id=777

Learning all sorts about ale on here that I never knew :D

I had a pint of pale rider at Kelham Island recently and really enjoyed that, despite being on stout for most of the night.

Can anyone recommend other pale ales available at KI that I might want to try? Bearing in mind I like the taste of pale rider.

Learning all sorts about ale on here that I never knew :D

I had a pint of pale rider at Kelham Island recently and really enjoyed that, despite being on stout for most of the night.

Can anyone recommend other pale ales available at KI that I might want to try? Bearing in mind I like the taste of pale rider.

Mmmmm, I'd try some of the ales brewed by The Bradfield Brewery (incidentally, if you like stout try their Farmers Stout) and in particular Farmers Blonde, if you like your pale ale heading towards a lager. For a more traditional PA, try their Sixer strong PA or Farmers PA for a less strong ale or nip up to the Two Roses brewery in Barnsley and try their 1st Edition Pale Ale or Conquest from the Acorn Brewery in Dingletown. All good ales in their own right, but for one that is close to pale rider I would say 'Sixer' is the one to try. Try the Nags Head at Loxley for Bradfield Ales!

I'll be wearing a tweed jacket with leather elbow pads..

It will be good to meet a fellow elbow-padder. It can be a cruel world out there for those of us who are not afraid to show off our superior dress sense in public. I favour a corduroy jacket myself, with brown suede patches. On Saturday, in an attempt to 'git on down wiv da yoof' or 'the disco generation' as I like to call them, I shall be combining my elbow-padded corduroy jacket with a pair of 'Easy' slim fit jeans and a pair of black brogues....

KI also do Easy Rider which isn't as strong as PR. Abbeydale's Moonshine is nice if you get it from the right pub but my favourite IPA is Jaipur from Thornbridge. It's a bit stronger than PR but it has a nice spicy under-taste. Elbow pads optional. ;)

In bottles or cans only so far as I know but try these: Golden Sheep (from the Black Sheep brewery); Easy Rider (a sort of Pale Rider Lite but very quaffable); Golden Hare (Bath Brewery); Tanglefoot, Hopping Hare, Golden Champion & Golden Glory(all Badger Ales).

The Farmer's Blonde at the KIT is very nice (she pulls a decent pint too) I'm very fond of Moonshine as well.

What time are you lot going to be in there for? 1.30? I only know Foxy, SF and Mousey so if they aren't there, how will I recognise members of this fine association?

Only one out of the three will be in attendance... SF is in Turkey and Mouse is neshing out... summat about a stag do (not his, obviously ;)).

Foxy plans to be there... not for some little meeting, but for a drink before a match in the closest pub! But if it's looking too busy to get a drink, we'll be off up the hill to the Stoops.

And Pinchy... I'll have a pint of White Swan if it's on :D

Anyone know if the Coach do food on a match day? We're probably getting there about lunch time so just wondering whether to eat first.

Anyone know if the Coach do food on a match day? We're probably getting there about lunch time so just wondering whether to eat first.

They only do bar snacks and butties now... and I'd hazard a guess that it'll be a tad busy.

They only do bar snacks and butties now... and I'd hazard a guess that it'll be a tad busy.

Cheers, I was kind of thinking that would be the case. We'll grab something before heading to Dronfield.

Only one out of the three will be in attendance... SF is in Turkey and Mouse is neshing out... summat about a stag do (not his, obviously ;)).

Foxy plans to be there... not for some little meeting, but for a drink before a match in the closest pub! But if it's looking too busy to get a drink, we'll be off up the hill to the Stoops.

And Pinchy... I'll have a pint of White Swan if it's on :D

Certainly Linz. Problem is there could be bother: The paramilitary Provisional We :heart: Hoofing Brigade have issued threats to disrupt our meeting right in the middle of my Shakespearian soliloquy and will be distributing sinister Pro-Lager propaganda. It could turn nasty. Stand Firm Comrades!
:beer:

Well... I received 2/3s of a pint from Pinchy :D

Linz, you were directly behind me in the queue to get in, if I recall you from your TV appearance correctly.

Well, I consider ladies drinking pints to be vulgar. The gentlemanly thing was to reduce the burden and thereby increase the decorum. It was my duty in chivalry to drink a third of the pint. The real question is: Pint of what? But that's another story! The ale was certainly better than the football, was it not?

Linz, you were directly behind me in the queue to get in, if I recall you from your TV appearance correctly.

Should have said hello :)

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Well, I consider ladies drinking pints to be vulgar. The gentlemanly thing was to reduce the burden and thereby increase the decorum. It was my duty in chivalry to drink a third of the pint. The real question is: Pint of what? But that's another story! The ale was certainly better than the football, was it not?

This "lady" is happy to be vulgar... and is just awaiting her gentleman so we can go and find some more pints on Woodseats :D

You were infront of me in the queue. I know this because I was patiently waiting with my kids to buy them a pepsi refill and 2 knobheads behind said "there's Linz, lets stand with her" and proceeded to push in front of us.

True story!

You were infront of me in the queue. I know this because I was patiently waiting with my kids to buy them a pepsi refill and 2 knobheads behind said "there's Linz, lets stand with her" and proceeded to push in front of us.

True story!

Well as I was getting 10 drinks in Keenzy & Ross were my carrying bitches.

You'd have had to wait a wee while longer if I'd have had to ferry them myself.

Accurate story!

True story!

We had to move as you had a rape face on and went to finger Ross' bum hole. Knobhead

We had to move as you had a rape face on and went to finger Ross' bum hole. Knobhead

True that.

Who's ross?

Well as I was getting 10 drinks in Keenzy & Ross were my carrying bitches.

OK, now I see who ross is (and who you are). For a man of limited stature you have a loud bark!

I think you'll find many Northern breweries do not recommend sparklers at all. A lot of Northern beers are brewed with more bitterness because northern pubs serve them with sparklers, so that all the bitterness of the ale is not concentrated in the head. So we have a bit of a chicken and egg situation.

My favourite Northern brewery has it spot on.

They say it's down to the landlord/customer to choose, and i would wholeheartedly agree with that.

http://roosters.co.uk/?page_id=777

Relax mucker. I think we are on the same wave length. We both agree that it is down to the preference of the customer and the choice of the publican/landlord. Good landlords who care and know there stuff will do what they think is best and tailor to their customers.

My personal opinion is that Northern beers should be put through a sparkler. But I am not a fascist and if someone wants to drink it without a sparkler then so be it. It's up to them. The chicken and egg stuff is interesting. I see it one way and you see it the other. But to me it seems we are looking at different sides of the same coin. I'll happily debate it over a couple of real ale's at the next London Blades meeting.

Certainly Linz. Problem is there could be bother: The paramilitary Provisional We :heart: Hoofing Brigade have issued threats to disrupt our meeting right in the middle of my Shakespearian soliloquy and will be distributing sinister Pro-Lager propaganda. It could turn nasty. Stand Firm Comrades!

Nasty scenes down there Pinch yesterday. Those fizzy lager loving we :heart: hoof brigaders did their best to disrupt, but we shall not be conquered. The Kipling conquered the Carling, Jaipur raped and pillaged Beck's and White Swan smashed Grolsh. The divine ambrosia supplied by Thornbridge was fuel for the RAPFA to defend its soveriegnty from the we :heart: hoof brigade and the sweet sound of South Yorks accents talking of the beautiful game, reciting Shakespeare, dissing Thatcher and debating the best Thornbridge ale drowned out the knuckle draggers caling for Blackwell's return whilst suppin their fizzy shite.

Shame we saw little of the beautiful game being played yesterday afternoon .....

Match and Real Ale report to follow later :D

True that.

Who's ross?

OK, now I see who ross is (and who you are). For a man of limited stature you have a loud bark!

Says the person who wouldn't say anything in the pub but quite happy to call people knobheads from behind a computer screen.
Limited stature at 6ft? are you 8ft tall??

I have the liver damage to prove it. Sounded like a cracking game though ;)

A sunny afternoon in Dronfield: RAPFA, hoof disruptions and the MATCH

The Real Ale and Proper Football Alliance (RAPFA) successfully kicked off the pre season despite the heinous attempts by the we :heart: hoof brigade to scupper things. Real ale was sank (lager was spilled), Shakespeare recited, total football discussed and there was not a conservative party member within miles. Unfortunately the Blades were unable to match the discussions about Keates, Shelley and Byron or the performance of Thornbridge ales and played out a disappointing 1-1 draw.

Crisis

The we :heart: hoof brigade came out to try to spoilt the first meeting of the RAPFA. I was handed a flyer before the game promoting the benefits of drinking lager (less calories, ‘better in hot weather’ and available in all shite pubs). Naturally I kept my head down as an executive member of RAPFA I would be a prize scalp for the hoof lovers. Whilst discussing Rudyard Kipling’s best work over a pint of Thornbridge Kipling with fellow executive Pinchy I saw one of the hoof loving, lager propaganda dishing numpties wondering round outside the Coach and Horses listening for talk pass and move and left wing politics.

Tactics

We decided to act fast. I bought one of the taster pots (5 1/3 a pint tasters of real ale) and dispatched one of the junior RAPFA members to ‘refresh’ the knuckle draggers dishing out the leaflets. I can only think that their taste buds exploded as the imminent violent clashes were avoided. Different members of the we heart hoof brigade were spotted staggering off in different directions and there were rumours that a Blade with Blackwell on the back of his shirt was later spotted drinking Jaipur. Book sales of George Orwell were up 500% in the Sainsbury’s ten minutes up the road and there were unconfirmed reports of hoofers scalding the occasional hoof from young Maguire.

Performance

The outstanding team performance of the afternoon was clearly the bar staff at the Coach and Horses. They were solidly backed up by the fantastic range of ales from Thornbridge. The ales sank in the pub almost made the match bearable. The outstanding performer of the afternoon was Kipling. A light coloured ale, that is smooth and full bodied, quite strong and has a slightly bitter hoppy aftertaste. How fitting a name for this excellent ale. This was closely followed by the award winning Jaipur: a strong, light ale with a similar bitter hoppy aftertaste (a Thornbridge trait) and a slight kick. Lord Marples, a light ale, low in strength and hoppy in taste, should be mentioned also. Black Harry (a very dark, slightly liquorice-ishy, almost porter-eque ale) and White Swan (the lightest of the range and a light ale, with an overly bitter after taste) were the weakest performers, but they were miles ahead of anything we saw on the pitch.

Trivia question: which German player was the first person to touch the ball in the 1974 World Cup final and what were the circumstances. A pint of real ale, from Ollessendro and available at the next RAPFA meeting, to the first person to get the answer right first.

Inside the BT stadium

Wilson opted for a very young team and clearly was trying to fathom who might be capable of stepping up. The barely recognisable team (see below) took me 30 minutes to work out and still I got mixed up:

------------------ Long

Conneely** Collins Maguire Warren*

Chappel**** McAllister++ Harriot*** Tonne

---------- Bogdanovic+ Philkirk+++

* Pomares
** Brown
*** Lokberg
**** Gregory
+ Cresswell
++ Murray
+++ Slew

The match

The Blades started brightly and were keen to get on the ball. They passed it around quite well and looked comfortable. I was pleasantly surprised to see us stringing moves together and passing more than 5 times in a row. That said, during this spell whilst I tried to work the team out, we created little. Bogdanovic had a shot and turn, but it was straight at the keeper. Chappel broke forward but made the wrong option.
McAllister and Harriot saw a lot of the ball, but they did not create anything. The style almost resembled Speed’s first couple of games as there was a lot of tippy tappy, building from the back four etc but we did not get it forward quickly. We did not have any width and the strikers looked isolated.

United looked fairly comfortable at the back with Collins and Maguire mopping up effectively. Sheffield FC did not have any chances of note. That said they broke forward a couple of times and had some joy down the flanks. Young full backs Warren and Conneely were exposed and both beaten too easily.

Approaching half time Harry Maguire took matters into his own hands. He advanced forward, beating a player and then hit a 30 yard thunderbolt worthy of a goal. It smaked again the bar (post?) with the keeper well beaten and fell to Philskirk who headed home unopposed from 6 yards out. Credit to Philskirk for anticipation/reaction and credit to Maguire for a belter of a strike.

Second half the Blades went a little flat after Wilson made several substitutions. More unrecognisable players came on and I lost track of who was who (and gave up). We continued to dominate possession, but lacked edge. Cresswell did nothing and the strikers were looking a little isolated. Slew did however cause a few problems. He got himself into a shooting position and should have scored. However with a clear shot he dragged a left footed strike wide. His pace was giving the defence problems and he got away from his man again and chose the wrong option. His 3rd moment of note was when he had yet another sitter but again fired wide. He looked lively, but his finishing was woeful.

My version of events may not be the best, as frankly I started to get bored. United were clearly not going to score again and I found myself wandering off.

Suddenly, out of the blue, Sheffield FC were level. A deep cross into the United area seemed not be dangerous, but a mix up gifted the home side an equaliser. Long came and got nowhere near the cross and after United cleared, X drove it home. It was a decent strike and he did well to keep it down, but it was a big error from the young United keeper. Long really should not have come and he was nowhere near it. A bad mistake.

The closing stages passed without incident and Sheffield FC got a well earned draw against the professional club.

Ratings

Rather than go through the whole lot, I will single a few out.

The older pros: Boggy, Cressy and even Lowton and Slew were disappointing. Bogdnovic did very little, though he tried and Creswell did less. Boggy was outmuscled too easily and had a tendency to fall over when an opposition player was within a few yeards of him. Cresswell just did nothing. Slew was lively but missed a couple if sitters. His pace caused problems, but his finishing was awful. Collins actually looked fairly composed and won a lot of headers. He did the basics ok and looked for the pass, rather than hoofing. This was by far his best performance in a United shirt (that I have seen) though it may be a reflection of the opposition.

Young one’s: as were Tonne, Chapel, Warren, Philskirk and Conneely were non descript and frankly disappointing. Lokberg, Gregory and Murray did little to impress me. Davie Mac was ok (but faded a little) and Harriot looked pretty good (particularly first half. I'd like to see those two in CM again (or one partnering Williamson).

The gem in the shite was Harry Maguire. Strong, good in the air and like a rock. Not the most composed player, but lead by example and did the basics right. Tried not to hoof it (though second half he got frustrated and started to knock long) and tended to look for the midfielders or full back.

Keeper Long did not looked the answer. Should never have come out for the goal and was his fault entirely. He then lost confidence and did not come for a couple of crosses he could/should have done. Not ready to step up imo.

Overall: Of all the lads out there today I would only be looking at Maguire and possibly McAllister and Harriot to be stepping up. Perhaps we should look again at Philskirk and Tonne but I was far from convinced. Of all the old pro’s the only one that looked good was Collins(!!?). Cresswell, Slew and Bogdanovic will have to pull their fingers out if they want to start.

United

Thought we looked comfortable on the ball and tried to pass it around well first half. Was impressed how composed we looked and thought the central midfield partnership of Dave Mac and Harriot looked good. Young Harriot played the deep role very well and as well as looking good on the ball he was always available. Liked the look of him and would like to see more. Despite us dominating possession we lacked a cutting edge and created little. That said, they did not do enough to support the attack and I was hoping for a little dynamism from McAllister.

Second half we were poor. We did little with possession and created little. That said Slew missed a couple of absolute sitters. He was disappointing and I would be tempted to cash in on him now from what I saw yesterday. Cresswell was poor and none of the young lads used in the second half impressed me.

Overall we were really disappointing. We tried to pass it around, but lacked width, creativity, pace and imagination. As Wilson admitted after the game we held onto the ball too much at the back and whilst it was encouraging to see us string more than 5 passes together (I honestly cannot remember the last time we did that) we did not get it forward quick enough. We rarely threatened and were way too narrow.

I think you were a bit harsh on the Black Harry, Olle. As a semi regular in The Tap, I was pretty familiar with Marples, Swan, Kipling and Jaipur, so I plumped for that one, and really enjoyed it. It didn't sit heavy for such a dark ale.

As for the players, it's no wonder Lowton disappointed if he didn't make it into your squad.

Sepp Maier, picking the ball out of the net.

We tried to pass it around, but lacked width, creativity, pace and imagination. As Wilson admitted after the game we held onto the ball too much at the back and whilst it was encouraging to see us string more than 5 passes together (I honestly cannot remember the last time we did that) we did not get it forward quick enough. We rarely threatened and were way too narrow.

This is the way the youth team seem to have been brought up and very much how they looked in the youth cup games I saw. Pembo himself said that they often overplay it and sometimes need to get it forward quicker and be more incisive in the oppositions box. In the ManU games, we seemed to spend a lot of time passing it across the edge of their box and having no final killer ball or shot. It will be interesting to see how this fits in with DW's 'get it forward and into the box' approach if we are to try and retain the 'passing game' and integrate some of the players on show on Saturday.

I think you were a bit harsh on the Black Harry, Olle. As a semi regular in The Tap, I was pretty familiar with Marples, Swan, Kipling and Jaipur, so I plumped for that one, and really enjoyed it. It didn't sit heavy for such a dark ale.

As for the players, it's no wonder Lowton disappointed if he didn't make it into your squad.

I think you might be onto something Guesty. Although I said it was a weaker performer, it is still a very good pint. I thoroughly enjoyed my Black Harry and would sooner have drank 3 or 4 of those in the sun than watched that match!? It just comes down to a question of taste. I tend to prefer lighter ales and I think the weather was also working against Black Harry (i.e. I think the lighter coloured Kipling, Jaipur and Marples are more refreshing in the heat). Excellent range of ales from Thornbridge and when I say 'weakest performers' it needs to be put in context.

Got mixed up with Lowton. Never played. Could have swore it was him at RB, but turns out to be Conneely.

Sepp Maier, picking the ball out of the net.

Jackpot. We have a winner. I should have banned senior RAPFA members from entering!? :)

Care to elaborate on the goal Raul?

Penalty score by Neeskins after 90 odd seconds of Total Football resulted in Cruyff being brought down. Decision was very controversial and England's Jack Taylor evened things up as soon as he could.

Back
Top Bottom