Ramsdale - sell him or keep him poll

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What would you do if offered £20m for Ramsdale?

• Sell

Votes: 15 2.4%
  • Keep him but sell if it went to £25m

Votes: 36 5.8%
  • Keep him but sell if it went to £30m

Votes: 94 15.1%
  • Keep him but sell if it went over £30m

Votes: 256 41.2%
  • Keep him regardless of the money offered

Votes: 220 35.4%

• Total voters
It doesn’t matter who is in goal. I can lob anyone with my magical left foot.

Suppose it's better than lobbing on anyone with your magical middle leg... 🤷🏼‍♂️

If an offer comes in and Rammers himself is tempted, nowt much can be done really.

I've deliberated over would I sell or not, and for what price, then it came down to this. Or, more to the point, that Ramsdale has said he wants to be here next year. This club is going to need players who are really wanting to be here next year, so he stays.

I have followed a club for decades, since the days of Alan Hodgkinson, we have always enjoyed the luxury of top quality keepers.
Goalkeepers are a breed apart, and fans often forget just how important they are to the success of a club.
To regain the credibility of a premier league side requires a great keeper. No doubt in my mind that Ramsdale is in this mould.
He now has the confidence he lacked when he came back here from Bournemouth, and he can only get better under a skilled manager, with quality coaching.
Talk of selling him is nonsense.

im 50 - 50 with ramsdale always rated him from his early days at the cliffe but if he wants to go straight back to the premier league and the deal suits us i.e minimum 25m i think the club would sell

Definitely torn on this one and a lot depends on the money.

The Jack Butland point is one I've also had nagging in my mind.

As a long term investment, Rammers is now looking very sound. Next decade sorted. Chalk up 400 appearances. No need for Agent fees, for signing on fees, transfer fees, bad purchases etc. That would be a huge plus.

Then as you say, Butland could have gone for 20m. He didn't. Went for a pittance. Stoke now virtually offering to give their high earners away to avoid P&S issues. Without wanting to sound too smalltime, before we got to the PL 20m was a year's turnover to us.

You also look at the proper long term infrastructure things you want to see - Training ground being one of them and Academy 'A' status and that money goes a very long way.

However, I have a sense that Arsenal will not offer the money to make this worthwhile, so I certainly wouldn't go chasing a deal.

How much did Allison cost? He went from being bought for a shade over 7m by Roma to 56m rising to 67m in the space of 2 years. Having a decent keeper at the very top level is hugely important with the money for being in or out of the top 4.

I'm not saying Ramsdale is as good but if Allison is worth up to 67m, then there is no reason to buckle at the first sign of interest and give way in the 20-24m range, even if we may have paid closer to 13m right now than 18.5m.

It may be through some misfortune to others but at the time of writing he is England's number 3 and he's also the youngest too and therefore has the highest potential trajectory.

If he stays then this isn't a position we need to worry about anymore for the short or long term.

He'll also be worth a few results performance wise now he has settled down. It does a lot for the defence to have a keeper they can depend upon right behind them.

What does the new manager think or know? Selling his first choices before he is in the door also isn't a good message.

There's also a question mark around the other keepers. Set aside Dewhurst and Amissah who at best will go on loan. Outside of Rammers, that leaves Verrips, Foderingham and Eastwood.

Verrips had a positive impact on Emmen even though they eventually succumbed to relegation. But was he exceptional to a level to threaten Ramsdale or was he just better than the previous incumbent? Eastwood, after a few stop starts in Scotland and England, left Grimsby with an enhanced reputation. Foderingham still has a question mark over him and to be honest, if we could lose him off the roster without incurring costs, I'd be inclined to do so. Wasteful signing. If we were down to the bones of needing him, then we could have loaned a keeper for emergency. That was spending money just because you could.

To steal Roy's good work on Verrips, the feedback was encouraging:

“verrips has been outstanding.”

“Verrips makes an excellent impression, and I dare him calmly with the best keepers in the league”

“Man of the match tonight”

“Best player!”

“Verrips made at least two great saves.”

“Verrips kept us in the match”

“We now have a good goalkeeper”

“Goalkeeper with the most potential in the Netherlands”

“Should be in Netherlands roster”

“Been very strong”

“Verrips’ mistake, but it remains a great goalie”

” goalkeeper was still the hero against FC Utrecht, his blunder seemed to lead to the 17th defeat of the season”

“Verrips too expensive to buy”

If he really should be in the Netherland's Roster and really is the keeper with the most potential in Netherlands, then wouldn't that at least give him serious consideration? He seems to stack up a little near the bottom on saves compared to a handful of other Dutch possibles. He's second youngest though and better has a higher save % than the one younger than him. Plus it's reasonable to think a team near the bottom will face a better quality of shots given they are worse at defending. Krul is ok but 80% makes him look exceptional. In truth a lot of those shots were probably long range no hopers from teams under th cosh. For Verrips it's likely a number of shots were clean on goal as the defence was opened up like a knife through butter.

It's tough not really knowing how good the others are.

My inclination is to keep Rammers. But once conversation heads north of 30m towards 35m, then common sense kicks in a little. If you want to be a Big Club then you need to act like one. We certainly did that with the manager appointment. There is just a limit to that when clubs like Arsenal come in if they offer big money and you are in the Championship. Brighton are turning down 40m for White but they have th luxury of being in the Premier League. In the end, this is what may undo us, especially if his International ambitions are in the balance while out of the top flight especially when surrounded by players on 2x and more his salary.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-06-17-18-32-31-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-17-18-32-31-46.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have followed a club for decades, since the days of Alan Hodgkinson, we have always enjoyed the luxury of top quality keepers.
Goalkeepers are a breed apart, and fans often forget just how important they are to the success of a club.
To regain the credibility of a premier league side requires a great keeper. No doubt in my mind that Ramsdale is in this mould.
He now has the confidence he lacked when he came back here from Bournemouth, and he can only get better under a skilled manager, with quality coaching.
Talk of selling him is nonsense.
And don't forget most of them are bat shit crazy 😜🤪

If we want to get promoted and are serious about it we should keep Rammers there ain't many good keepers out there is there...So we would be back to square one and quality keepers won't want to some to the championship....common sense

If Rammers features in Euro2020 and has a blinder,we could be looking at doubling our money
Dont worry, England will play germany in the final...1-1 after 90 mins..in the 95th min of added time the krauts get a corner, ball comes in, hits Kanes arse...balloons up in the air, hits grealish's gonads, bounces to mings who falls over it, lunny tries to clear it, Hits it sideways.
Trippier smashes it but it hits maguire full in the face and it heads towards goal, rammers starts to move across goal to save it but trips up over a daisy puts his arm out and scoops it into net.
Rammers value back to £3000

Or sommat like that...

If it was a choice between Berge and Ramsdale then I'd say keep Ramsdale. We need a settled keeper and Berge would be easier to replace with someone who fits into a certain style of play. I'm not disrespecting Berge in any way as he has a lot of talent but he's not able to showcase that to his full potential in our team as it stands.

The big question is - if Ramsdale does leave then who do we replace him with? We need to be forward thinking and expect to be in the Premier League after this coming season so we don't want to be in a position where we have to pay over the odds for a keeper that we are confident can play at that level. That's the main reason I'd want to keep hold of Rammers.

If we sell Ramsdale IMO we will be building for the Championship, and if we are building for the Championship, all we need is that one bad season again to be back where we started.........:mad:

Aaron, we just got an offer for £25m for you,

and we know you're wages have been cut in half to around 15k per week,

and yes, we know you'd be on about double at Arsenal to what we paid you

and yes, we know you just broke into the England squad...

but you know what, we are going to turn down the offer, because we want you to stay in the Championship with us

And just how many other of our players will be having a similar conversation ?
and will they let them all go ? will they say lets not bother eh, lets just drop out of this league altogether, and move on to the big stuff like The Steel City Darby's and even bring back The County cup, who knows ,.....
This is where the club decides where it wants to go from here, and what happens with Ramsdale and co. will be a very big pointer..... ;)

but you know what, we are going to turn down the offer, because we want you to stay in the Championship with us
Double? I’d expect them to be offering him circa £100k a week if he’s going as first choice keeper. If he’s not going as first choice, we might be able to persuade him to stay but who knows what’s in his head? I’d rather we kept him if it’s feasible but the bottom line is that’s he’s not a dog or a car, he’s a person and what he wants to do has to be taken into account. If he’s desperate to leave (and I’ve no idea if he is), then it’s probably best that we go back to Arsenal and tell them what he’ll cost them.

No matter who the manager is, who he brings in or what tack tics he chooses to play, goalkeeping is the one job that never changers......
We've already had a season with the Lunny thing hanging over our heads the last thing we need now is a goalkeeper who wants to go....

Last edited:
Not contributed for quite some time having moved to the other side of the world for a new like in Australia a couple of weeks after we got promoted to the Prem.
My thoughts on Rammers is that he already is a Fantastic keeper as shown being named as POTY in each if the last 2 seasons.
On top of this, he has the potential to get even better! and probably will. He showed in the second half of the season what a bit of confidence can do for him and he will be buzzing now that he has made the Euros squad.
I hope that we can keep him for many seasons to come but a lot depends on where we end up in the next season or 2.
I reckon he will be happy to stay with us and wont push to be sold as he loves the club however if silly money bids start to come in for him then I think the club will have little option but to consider selling. More so if he stays for the coming season and we dont get promoted.
Hes ambitious and will want to be pushing to be Englands No.1 in the next couple of years and playing championship football will only harm that.

Either way it will be a positive thing for the lad. He stays and we get promoted. Means he can stay with us and progress.
He goes and gets a huge pay increase whilst showcasing himself in the top league with us receiving a BIG sum of money to hopefully reinvest in the squad.

Yes, perhaps it's the bit about "selling our best players to reinvest in the squad* that seems so familiar, and soooooo depressing to me....... :tumbleweed:

Considering his age and the fact is is currently in the England squad, we should build the team around him.

His best years are infront of him
Hopefully, although tbf people possibly thought the same about Jack Butland so nothing is certain (except death and taxes...).

I'm another one torn on this. I voted £25m and sell since I think that would be more than enough to replace him and bank a tidy sum. On the other hand, it's all well and good saying you can go out and get a good keeper for that money when in reality any player you sign has the potential to be a flop. Ramsdale is a known quantity and will be a fantastic player for us if we hold on to him.

Exactly mb, fuck it though, its £20M so let’s take it now. It’s this sort of shortsightedness that kept us back all those years under McCabe. Fortunately for us though, I don’t think this chairman has this mindset so we should be ok.

Doubt we'd ever find out but I'm pretty confident that this chairman - and any chairman in the Championship for that matter - will sell their goalkeeper for £25-30m. Call it shortsightedness as much as you like, you're entitled to your opinion of the kid (I like him too, think he's a great prospect) but I genuinely don't see SUFC rejecting that sort of money.

You’re right. Having spent the summer at the Euros with the rest of the England squad, his enthusiasm for a season in the championship with us is likely to have waned slightly! As crap as they’ve been the last couple of seasons, arsenal are a huge, high profile club that pay big wages. If they’re serious about signing him, I’d imagine he’d be all over it, and would be mad not to.

Id sell any of our players if it returned a profit, bar the young uns and maybe Egan. I've softened a bit lately but im still bitter about last seasons shit show

Grimsby have given up hope of signing Jake Eastwood who was on loan to them at the end of last season, a according to the local paper he is set to move up the pecking order at the lane.

Forgive me if this is old news but as a Blade in exile I don't get to hear much gossip, it will be worse next season, match reports will drop from half a page to just a few lines

Need to remember the board has turned down two offers for £10m profit on Coulibaly. No chance Ramsdale is going for less than £35m, this season. Best chance of a quick return to premier league is with him in goal. If we don’t make it first attempt, then they’d think about cashing in.

Need to remember the board has turned down two offers for £10m profit on Coulibaly. No chance Ramsdale is going for less than £35m, this season. Best chance of a quick return to premier league is with him in goal. If we don’t make it first attempt, then they’d think about cashing in.
Just heard they could be wanting £40 mill Arsenal sniffing. Stick or twist? Tempting.

Back
Top Bottom