Ramsdale--our worst signing ever?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stegosaurus

Reaction score
Hello, Stegosaurus, here.

Is Ramsdale our worst signing ever?

18 million for a goalie who cant deal woth crosses, continuously looks a bag of nerves and, worryingly, can't dive. He just flops to the ground. If a shot is remotely towards the corner, its in. Ill grant him, his reactions are good if the shot is near him. But, he's pretty useless.

18 million. That makes him, I believe, in the top 20 most expenaive goalies of all time. Bournemouth had Wilder's pants down with this one.

For me, given the cost and the fact we needed that money to strengthen in other areas has to put him as our worst ever signing.

Far from our worse signing. I wasn't convinced when we signed him but worst, nope. I've never done this before but I smell pork and I hate it when people call out people as pigs on here but given you signed up on the 1st December I'll stand by what I said.

Not as a player, but with the situation we had at the time, with Henderson still available for loan, i’d say that decision was a fatal situation for the club. I back Ramsdale though i dont think he’s bad, just no Dean H, in the dressing room and on the pitch

Ramsdale was a big risk especially at that price and unfortunately at this stage it looks to have back fired. I've no doubt he will have a decent career in the top two divisions but we needed a cool experienced head to come in at GK if we weren't getting Hendo back.

I don't buy into this buying for the Championship and future nonsense we've paid £18 million for a goalkeeper that should go into the first team and improve us. This rubbish about going down and coming back up why not just stay up in the first place? He hasn't really done anything above and beyond what Moore would have done. Henderson won us points on his own last season and I just don't see Ramsdale doing that. I hope I'm proved wrong as he's a young Sheffield lad but he's heading for two relegations in two years at this stage.

18 million for a goalie who cant deal woth crosses, continuously looks a bag of nerves and, worryingly, can't dive. He just flops to the ground. If a shot is remotely towards the corner, its in. Ill grant him, his reactions are good if the shot is near him. But, he's pretty useless.

18 million. That makes him, I believe, in the top 20 most expenaive goalies of all time. Bournemouth had Wilder's pants down with this one.

For me, given the cost and the fact we needed that money to strengthen in other areas has to put him as our worst ever signing.

You only joined the forum last week and you come out with this crap.

Unitedite Bert's arse.

Have we overpaid for him? Yes.

Is he our worst ever signing? No. I could probably name you 50 in front of him, maybe more.

Hello, stegosaurus here

For the money we paid?

We've had worse players, sure. But none cost 18 million or the at the time equivalent. Or when we desperately needed other areas strengthening

The problem for Ramsdale would have been a problem for any keeper coming in after Hendo.

When you are trying to replace the best keeper in the country, you are always going to be pulled up on the smallest of mistakes and your performances are going to be scrutinised by fans and pundits alike, probably a little unfairly.

I don’t think he’s been as bad as some fans make him out to be, he’s not even Wilders worst signing, let alone the clubs.

We have far more important problems to deal with than the goalkeeper. We need to sort out the porous defence. Create chances from our uninspiring midfield. Sort out a decent left wing back who doesn’t look like he should play in league one and find strikers who can put away chances.The whole team needs to chase press and Harry the opposition higher up the pitch like we did last season. To me these are the most important issues. Rammers is way off our priority list. In terms of our worst ever signing; Rammers doesn’t figure at all for me. You’ve either got a short memory Stegosaurus or you’re five.

Far from our worse signing. I wasn't convinced when we signed him but worst, nope. I've never done this before but I smell pork and I hate it when people call out people as pigs on here but given you signed up on the 1st December I'll stand by what I said.

Hmmm I wonder.... stegosaurus = dinosaur. Is this a dig at Wilder?

You only joined the forum last week and you come out with this crap.

Unitedite Bert's arse.

Hello, Stegosaurus here

Thanks for the kind welcome. Ill be sure to post more often, friend

I’m not convinced I can buy into this argument of overpaying for players and them not being good enough.

It seems like a lot to us but 100m to get a competitive team in the Prem doesn’t go far.

Before a ball is kicked we’ve got a hole in our defence, our middle, no first choice keeper and no 10+ goals a season striker, so at least 4 players are a cert without considering any other injuries and building squad depth.

So let’s say 20m budget for each of those players to be Prem standard. If there were multiple options for each we’d get priced out on fees and wages, so we’ve got (I’d say) lower end Prem / top end championship players, and knife edge risks that can go either way.

Couple that with first team players underperforming and it’s obvious why we’re in a mess.

Ramsdale isn’t a shit keeper but he is far more exposed than Hendo was, who also had a howler in him on occasion. His save rate is good and he has good reactions but yes he has faults too, considering he’s not kept a clean sheet yet it’s to be expected that he’s nervy.

Also half the time he’s saving the shot and taking the goal kick just to have the ball coming straight back.

The keeper is THE LAST LINE of defence, not the only one.

He's been one of the best 'keepers in the Prem this season at 22 years of age, so no. I've been pleasantly surprised tbh.

The very fact you put rammers above dross like Dean "unseen work" Hammond highlights to me that your a pig.

He would perhaps be a better keeper if he learned how to catch the ball instead of punching and parrying everything, especially when he parries it back into the middle of the box. Waste of money though?, no there’s a very good keeper in there, he’s just not there yet, so we may have paid over the odds for a youngster.
seemed odd though splashing out on three keepers as well as keeping Moore, that’s 4 wages, but that said looking at Jags and Rodwell we like paying people big wages to keep seats warm. Surely some of them wages could be better spent.....
like Buendia on loan as one example, but I suppose he’s shit too, plus we missed that boat at the start of the season when him and Cantwell were out of favour with Farke.
And no I’m not a pig!!!......

Last edited:

for a start we didnt pay 18m for rammy so forget that argument and its certainly not his fault were in this situation

Back
Top Bottom