Brewster --- Our Worst Signing Ever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Stegosaurus

Reaction score
Hello, Stegosaurus, here.

Is Brewster our worst signing ever?

20 million + for a striker who cant head the ball, can't create space, can't keep possession, can't assist, continuously looks bored and, worryingly, can't score. He just blazes it anywhere. If he gets any chance, he misses. Ill grant him, he's quite good physically. But, he's pretty useless.

20 million+. That makes him, I believe, in the top 300 most expensive strikers of all time. Liverpool had Wilder's pants down with this one.

For me, given the cost and the fact we needed that money to strengthen in other areas has to put him as our worst ever signing.

So far, yes. If he fires us back up next season all is good.

Looking at him I do fear he'll be the new Jordan Slew, though at least he scored for us and we did make a profit on him.

Hoping that you are jinxing things Steggy ;)

I really hope this thread is on purpose, because the last time you assumed our 'worst ever signing' he got into the England Squad.

It’s too soon to write him off imo let’s see at the end of next year. Showed improvement against Burnley hopefully he gets his head down now and really settles in.

I don't think he's the worst signing by any means, nor a poor signing.

If you want a striker who will score you at least 10 goals in the Premier League it will cost you around £30mil. Anything less, particularly from the Championship is always a gamble. It'll cost in excess of £40-50mil to have a reliable proven goal scorer in the Premier League. Even then a striker is no better than the service he receives. Look at Wesley at Villa and Joelinton at Newcastle. They were signed for similar sums and were awful.

Brewster was one of many players who didn't do well last season. Fleck, Stevens, Ampadu, Norwood and Lundstram were all consistently poor but they saw far more of the ball than Brewster, who was often chasing hopeful balls rather than quality passes, or nothing at all where they gave up possession cheaply time in time out.

Brewster is a young lad (he's only 21), who was thrown in the deep end in a tough division, who ended up playing for one of the worst sides in the history of the top flight with little to no service.

For me McBurnie is a far worse signing. In his first season for us he got 6 goals, this season with a season of Premier League football behind him he got 1. McGoldrick increased his tally despite receiving the same poor service in the same season, so what's McBurnie's excuse?

I would bet that McGoldrick and Brewster will make a far better partnership in the Championship next season than McGoldrick and McBurnie.

I reckon it's John Ebrell for me. £1m was a lot in those days, at least Brewster has managed to play more than 45 mins.

It's all subjective eh? I'd call Ebrell downright bad luck. So in terms of value for money, you'd be right. But he was prior to that a good quality player and I was pretty excited by the signing at the time

It's all subjective eh? I'd call Ebrell downright bad luck. So in terms of value for money, you'd be right. But he was prior to that a good quality player and I was pretty excited by the signing at the time
Very subjective, I think buying Brewster was a bit of bad luck. We could probably have bought any other striker in the country and he'd have scored a goal by now, even in this shitshow of a season.

Got a while to wait for the next thrilling instalment of this.
Rammers England call-up made a right bollocks of the last player assassination thread.
Unfortunately Rhian has a while before he can perform a similar turn-around.
Unless fans back in the ground destroy him before he gets chance.

Very subjective, I think buying Brewster was a bit of bad luck. We could probably have bought any other striker in the country and he'd have scored a goal by now, even in this shitshow of a season.

The poor lad looks as likely to score as me.................

I was agreeing with much of that, and then I read “he's quite good physically”
I therefore conclude that that you’ve never actually seen him, and are a just shit-stirring.
Many of your post have a hint of pork.

Brewster under fresh leadership and strong guidance from someone like SJ will come good especially in the Championship. This time next year we'll be hoping and praying he won't be sold. Yes, he was over priced at the time and the money would have been better spent elsewhere, which was not Brewster's fault, but long term he will repay the investment in plenty.

Brewster had the perfect storm of a season

Bought by a manager who then didnt trust him enough to keep faith and play him
Team bereft of all confidence
Tactics that didnt play to his strength
No crowd to give him an extra yard, and bring him on

I honestly think that if one, or certainly two of the above went his way he would have at least scored a couple, so lets see what happens in the first 10 games of next season before calling him out as the worst buy ever

Would anyone on here honestly say that if he has all 4 he wont be hitting 10-15 goals next season??

Last season was a clusterfuck - when seasoned pro's like Bash, Fleck, Norwood, Stevens etc can suffer, what chance has a young lad with the pressure of £20m pricetag got

I want a new manager who will take him to one side and tell him the tactics are built to support you, your going to start the first 10 games, dont worry about the goals tally, just go out and play in front of a full BDTBL who will be behind you

Judge then.

I refuse to believe he’s as bad as what he seems. There must be something there. All those knowledgable people like Klopp etc saw something but for the life of me I can’t see what.

Either that are we’ve been the victim of a £23m con trick by Klopp the grifter.

20 million + for a striker who cant head the ball, can't create space, can't keep possession, can't assist, continuously looks bored and, worryingly, can't score. He just blazes it anywhere. If he gets any chance, he misses. Ill grant him, he's quite good physically. But, he's pretty useless.

20 million+. That makes him, I believe, in the top 300 most expensive strikers of all time. Liverpool had Wilder's pants down with this one.

For me, given the cost and the fact we needed that money to strengthen in other areas has to put him as our worst ever signing.
It's difficult to argue against it.
Apart from Rammers, all of CWs premier league signings have been pretty bad.

I refuse to believe he’s as bad as what he seems. There must be something there. All those knowledgable people like Klopp etc saw something but for the life of me I can’t see what.

Either that are we’ve been the victim of a £23m con trick by Klopp the grifter.
Unfortunately I reckon Klopp didn't fancy him, otherwise he wouldn't have sold him.
... And don't give me the ridiculous buy back clause, that was a con.

Just seen Harry Kane worth £150,000,000. Scored 23 goals thats 6.5 million a goal. Brewsters only 3 goals behind him. So not too shaby a signing? 😅😅

hey Steggy, I like your thinking. You worked wonders with Ramsdale by claiming that. 30 goals plus guaranteed next season now. Now if you could just inspire the rest of the team by asking the same question of all of them we will walk it as champions.

Back
Top Bottom