Ramsdale--our worst signing ever?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We wouldn’t have been mid table, but we would definitely be in with a chance of staying up.
We have no idea how Henderson would play behind a poor defence.
Evidence suggests that he would not be that good. Better than Ramsdale possibly, but we didn’t have that choice.

Posted in other Ramsdale thread. Can't be blamed for us giving the ball away unexpectedly. However he got himself back into a position to make the save to what wasn't all that great of a shot.

Needs to be making sure gets something behind the ball. (Hands go over the ball?) Didn't cost us today, is costing us in the league..

And if we get relegated is it going to be the biggest footballing shock of all time? Not really.

Dean Henderson wouldn’t have kept us mid table this season. There are a whole variety of issues as to why we are where we are. Not just Ramsdale.

if we play next season in the championship we are not under achieving. That is our level. On a good day we are a premier league side. JUST.

The bottom line is Ramsdale is still in the top half of championship goalkeepers, the bottom line is the haters and scape goat lovers can’t take it.
Dean Henderson would have kept us mid table without a doubt. The all team especially in defence had loads of confidence with him in goal, that's one of the reasons we were playing better football last season.

We have no idea how Henderson would play behind a poor defence.
Evidence suggests that he would not be that good. Better than Ramsdale possibly, but we didn’t have that choice.
I suspect we might have won a few more games, that’s all. And we’d be in with a shout of staying up now, as a result.

But I’m certain that’s known for certain is that he’s a much better keeper than Ramsdale - that was surely crowed from the off.

And that aside, for £18m, we could and should have bought a much better keeper.

Last edited:
The mistake hasn't only been with this transfer, it's also that the other two keepers CW has bought aren't deemed good enough to displace someone who is clearly struggling.

It's clear to us armchair fans, the fans of other clubs, Harry Kane, that lady goalkeeper commentating today, my mum, that Ramsdale needs a rest/dropping, whatever you want to call it, so why isn't it obvious to the management team? And if it is but they feel they can't change it with the options available why in Christ's name did we sign two keepers that are a worse option than what we're seeing every single game at the moment?

I grew up in the Kelly days. Kelly was possibly one of the best keepers ever, and I’m not just taking for us. His positional sense, unbelievable catching and shot stopping was amazing. Unfortunately at that time, kicking was less important and was probably his biggest problem. However, the confidence he must have put into the defence and subsequently, team, must have been huge.
I believe goalkeepers are the most important player on the pitch, they can save you countless points over a season. The confidence this must bring is everything, we need to sort this out urgently.
I don’t want to slate ramsdale, but, I’ve not seen a single save where I thought.....that’s why we signed him! At the moment he has the presence of a bloke that has been dragged out of a pub and told to “have a go” The amount paid for him is insignificant, he’s not the answer for now and certainly isn’t showing a glimpse of it.
It seems if we spend money we have to keep plugging. Chris...this ain’t working chief, man up and sort it please. Pride in football, is a very short term thing

Ramsdale is awful. We would be lucky to get £5m back for him. He won’t be good in the championship. Definitely the worst signing United have ever made. The fact that CW is persisting with him (As well as the continued belief 3 at the back will work workout JOC) is also making me doubt his position with the club.

I feel bad for him, because it's not his fault we put all our eggs in his basket, but he's not looking ready to be a Premier League number 1. Especially not down the bottom end where he's under a lot of pressure.

If we were a team like Southampton or West Ham, bog standard 8th-12th most of the time, few proper elite players to drag us out of a hole we'd be alright. We'd be entertaining, winning 3-2, drawing 4-4, but we don't have the team to make up for our defensive shortcomings. Even Bournemouth last season, let loads in, got more points than we're going to get though, because the rest of the team had some goals in it. They probably would've stayed up after all were it not for the ghost goal.

You have to look at our recruitment and contracts team, they've shat the bed big time with goalies really. Verrips, could be good but clearly isn't if he's still not playing. Moore, with respect, why is he still here? Foderingham, brought in to challenge Ramsdale supposedly, but from his friendly appearances and the Carabao cup game, looks dodgy af.

We've stuck with the primarily British or English recruitment policy, and that comes at a premium, and limits our choices.

We had a top 6 keeper last season, so he was always going to be a tough act to follow, but truthfully I think we could have saved money and got the same quality, or spent the same and got better.

Would love to be wrong though and have Ramsdale pull through and achieve something with us.

Last edited:
Genuine question based on a hunch.

Does the kid have eye sight issues ??

Not ideal for a keeper if so !!!

UTB
There may be some merit in this as I am desperately looking for a reason why he is so bobbins. The way he misses things and flaps at crosses. FFS somebody get him to the opticians!

Agreed on wages, but doesn’t alter the fact that’s he cost us the same in transfer fee,

But £18.5m across a 4 year contract is £89k per week, added to his wages- £30k per? Means if he sees out his contract and goes on a free he will have cost us £120k pw, sure we could have picked up a free transfer and given him a lower basic for a better keeper,

But yes our wage structure is a hamstring

However I suspect that Berge, Ramsdale and Brewster are all on more than our established players, and they finished 10th last season

For what it’s worth, Matt Ryan was on £35k at Brighton, and we could have probably got for less than £5m in the summer

For someone (CW) who alleges no sentiment, the purchase, and continued playing of crisp packet hands / cullinder body seems a bit rich
Andy herein could be one of the problems for our inept season overall. The team over achieve in their first season in the Prem and yet see new players coming in the following season on better wages. I think this is definitely the situation for Lundstom/Berger I cannot see any other reason why he would refuse to sign his new deal.

Arsenal paid 19m for the right to give Leno a contract. My guess is that Leno is on three times Ramsdale's wage, at least so the costs to the respective clubs are not comparable.

Guessing that the same is true of Brewster and McBurnie, ultimately our wage structure is the constraint on getting proven low risk players.

Arsenal paid 19m for the right to give Leno a contract. My guess is that Leno is on three times Ramsdale's wage, at least so the costs to the respective clubs are not comparable.

Guessing that the same is true of Brewster and McBurnie, ultimately our wage structure is the constraint on getting proven low risk players.

Correct. Transfer fees don't really mean all that much as they are usually spread over the length of the contract whereby wages are payable week on week so have a far bigger impact on cashflow. I completely get why some fans are getting annoyed at the returns from our big money transfers but the fee we've paid for them is almost irrelevant once wages are taken into account as we just can't compete on this front!

Been thinking about the game yesterday. I've tried to be an advocate for Ramsdale but yesterday the Plymouth keeper looked far more in control of his box. Rambo looks like a man with no confidence now and just makes mistake after mistake. Blades on social media hacking in to him constantly has clearly messed with him and now the pundits/commentary teams are at it to. Two mistakes led to their goal and Ramsdale should have done better. But because of those defensive mistakes its not the goal that I'm bothered about its everything else that's concerning. Yesterday would have been the opportunity to give him a break from the firing line without "dropping him", poor decision by CWAK not to play Verrips et al.

Andy herein could be one of the problems for our inept season overall. The team over achieve in their first season in the Prem and yet see new players coming in the following season on better wages. I think this is definitely the situation for Lundstom/Berger I cannot see any other reason why he would refuse to sign his new deal.
Lundstram is going because he received a better offer from elsewhere. Whilst Berge's immediate (and undeserved) installation into the team undoubtedly (and understandably) wrankled with him, he had already refused the terms on offer.

Lundstram is going because he received a better offer from elsewhere. Whilst Berge's immediate (and undeserved) installation into the team undoubtedly (and understandably) wrankled with him, he had already refused the terms on offer.
Ah okay I didn’t realise it was before the arrival of Berger. Any idea where he is supposedly going? I’ve seen the mutterings about Rangers and West Ham but I really can’t see the latter.

Ah okay I didn’t realise it was before the arrival of Berger. Any idea where he is supposedly going? I’ve seen the mutterings about Rangers and West Ham but I really can’t see the latter.

Not sure which club he's decided to go to (if indeed he has yet) - I was however told it was between Rangers and two Prem clubs, the latter being favourite due to the wages they're able to offer - well in excess of Utd's best offer

About this Ramsdale fella.
I read many posts saying that he is young, which is correct, and that he’ll get better and become a good reliable goalie, simply wishful thinking.
I might as well add this Brewster crappie to this as well.
I read, only a few days ago Wilder’s view that clearly said Brewster was not a purchase who was intended to be starting straight away as he was intending to give him time and ease him in.
WTF?!!!
Between them the best part of £41 million!!
Does anyone really think those two were what we really needed in the close season?
I could add a few others (well about ten or so ACTUALLY).
This is not just absurd it is tragic.
Can anyone blame the powers that be not recruiting anyone new this month. Well, up to 24th January anyway.
It would be nice, as well as perfectly right and reasonable, for someone to have the balls to stand-up and take responsibility for this appalling recruitment and the utter mess we are in.

This season is a nightmare and Ramsdale is at the centre of it. I truly hope the England u21 keeper can turn this situation round and if he can it will be an incredible development experience for him. We’re down so he’s got a half season training opportunity. Much as I love united I hate to see a young fellah dragged down by the mob like this. Coaching squad need to earn their money and get his head right. You don’t get to be the best young English goalie without a huge amount of talent. Sort it out.

I suspect we might have won a few more games, that’s all. And we’d be in with a shout of staying up now, as a result.

But I’m certain that’s known for certain is that he’s a much better keeper than Ramsdale - that was surely crowed from the off.

And that aside, for £18m, we could and should have bought a much better keeper.
I honestly think you’re been a optimist Alco. Henderson doesn’t score goals, and sadly neither does this team. Maybe if the ten outfield lads stopped dropping bollocks in almost every game that’s played, then Ramsdsle could build some confidence. And I’d argue Henderson would be just as bad in this team, he regularly dropped clangers last season but he got away with it due to the results.
I actually feel sorry for the lad, he’s come back to his boyhood club and signed for what’s becoming an embarrassment that’ll derail his career due to the incompetence of the squad and how it’s been (de) constructed!

I honestly think you’re been a optimist Alco. Henderson doesn’t score goals, and sadly neither does this team. Maybe if the ten outfield lads stopped dropping bollocks in almost every game that’s played, then Ramsdsle could build some confidence. And I’d argue Henderson would be just as bad in this team, he regularly dropped clangers last season but he got away with it due to the results.
I actually feel sorry for the lad, he’s come back to his boyhood club and signed for what’s becoming an embarrassment that’ll derail his career due to the incompetence of the squad and how it’s been (de) constructed!

The difference with Henderson was he made absolutely crucial match winning saves on more than one occasion.....Norwich both home and away, Crystal Palace away, Bournemouth at home and the game away to Watford to name a few.

To say he ‘regularly’ made clangers is massively overstating the point. Every goalkeeper has an error in them but they are largely forgiven if they get the other things right more often than not. The reason goalkeeper mistakes are magnified is because 9 times out of 10 they lead directly to a goal. Henderson didn’t ‘get away with it because of the results’ he was a massive part of actually getting those results through the confidence he breathed through the defence and the ability to get things absolutely spot on at crucial moments in the game.

My biggest fear is he's in a downward spiral and not sure how he reverses it.

Genuinely feel for him as nobody must be hurting and suffering more than him. Can't even imagine what it must feel like knowing you're trying your very best but people are lambasting you everywhere, and analysing every minor error (which perhaps wouldn't be the case if his general performance level was improved).

I don't see him, at least in the short term, playing himself out of this form. Maybe a few weeks on the sidelines might do him good.

Whilst his performances have been poor, I'm struggling to believe that going forward he'll continue to be this bad.

You can say Wilder and the board are blind to both pay that much, and blindly keep playing him (through pride or otherwise), but they're not the only people in football who've seen something in him. I suspect he will improve in time, but we need some decisive action now when he's clearly underperforming.

Ramsdale was never going to make the same amount of outstanding saves as hendo did. But he has stopped doing even the basics of goalkeeping correctly, he’s barely touching anything sent his way - and looks broken.

Wilder has proven in the past that if a player isn’t up to the task he’ll move on. The likes of Hussy, Holmes, Wilson, Caruthers. evans etc all came in and were quickly moved in from. Different when the error is an 18-20m quid on though

Henderson was an excellent keeper for us, rare you get to see someone that good. I’ve stated before that when he met Wilder and the staff before his first loan he said he’d save United x number of points and get us promoted, come back and keep us up, and he did just that.

Ramsdale isn’t as good a keeper, but it’s unfair to compare. He’s had a few shockers, he’s confidence is shot, but fair play to the lad he’s some bollocks on him he goes out there week after week and is trying to play himself back into form. All this despite getting non stop pelters from ‘fans’ who can’t even go to the game.

Yes, for me he should save it yesterday, but there’s three equally bad errors that led to it 1. Giving it away in the middle, 2. Bash 3. Someone not tracking the lad who scored.

For me, lay off him, let him get on with his job and he’ll improve. The price tag isn’t his fault, so shouldn’t be brought into it.

No one else is at the level to replace him, everyone banging on about Verrips, who the staff btw are happy with his progress, but don’t forget he would have been out on loan all season if Moore hadn’t got injured.

Ramsdale is part of the reason why we are bottom, but not the sole reason. Time for people to start backing him a bit, the difference might be huge for him. Must be horrible going to work knowing even the slightest mistake is going to mean you get vilified by strangers..I’d struggle to do that at my job so I don’t think a young lad learning his trade should have to suffer like that

The poor lads confidence is completely shot. He looked like he was shitting himself yesterday even before kick-off. Your keeper needs to have that aura of confidence and even arrogance. That then rubs off on the rest of the team.

He ought to delete his social media accounts though because personal abuse he’ll be getting won’t be helping his cause. Fans who do that are thick as shit by the way.

I think the club were trying to replace Henderson for a like-for-like keeper; young, English with International recognition. Sadly, Aaron Ramsdale is not Dean Henderson.

In hindsight we should’ve signed a steady, experienced pair of hands like Ben Foster. A leader from the back.

Either that, or someone from abroad, where the value for money is there. Obviously our dinosaur scouting ‘department’ and Brexit Blades policies don’t allow for that though.

We’ve scored the same amount of goals as Burnley, who are well clear of relegation.

I accept scoring goals is a problem, and it’s definitely not all about Ramsdale (but the thread is :))

But there’s no getting away from the fact that he’s having a very poor season, and we aren’t getting what we paid for. Time will tell if that’s all about confidence, but I sadly doubt it.

The poor lads confidence is completely shot. He looked like he was shitting himself yesterday even before kick-off. Your keeper needs to have that aura of confidence and even arrogance. That then rubs off on the rest of the team.

He ought to delete his social media accounts though because personal abuse he’ll be getting won’t be helping his cause. Fans who do that are thick as shit by the way.

I think the club were trying to replace Henderson for a like-for-like keeper; young, English with International recognition. Sadly, Aaron Ramsdale is not Dean Henderson.

In hindsight we should’ve signed a steady, experienced pair of hands like Ben Foster. A leader from the back.

Either that, or someone from abroad, where the value for money is there. Obviously our dinosaur scouting ‘department’ and Brexit Blades policies don’t allow for that though.
It's not really hindsight, a lot of us (including me) were suggesting a proven, experienced keeper rather than Ramsdale. The lad is actually getting worse and clearly needs resting. Why we didn't try one of the backup keepers yesterday is beyond me.

I grew up in the Kelly days. Kelly was possibly one of the best keepers ever, and I’m not just taking for us. His positional sense, unbelievable catching and shot stopping was amazing. Unfortunately at that time, kicking was less important and was probably his biggest problem. However, the confidence he must have put into the defence and subsequently, team, must have been huge.
I believe goalkeepers are the most important player on the pitch, they can save you countless points over a season. The confidence this must bring is everything, we need to sort this out urgently.
I don’t want to slate ramsdale, but, I’ve not seen a single save where I thought.....that’s why we signed him! At the moment he has the presence of a bloke that has been dragged out of a pub and told to “have a go” The amount paid for him is insignificant, he’s not the answer for now and certainly isn’t showing a glimpse of it.
It seems if we spend money we have to keep plugging. Chris...this ain’t working chief, man up and sort it please. Pride in football, is a very short term thing
Sensible post what do we achieve slating the lad?NOTHING only makes him more edgy . He is bound to be shell shocked after being relegated last year and now playing in front of another leaky defence.The goal keeper is the most important guy in the team and every mistake they make are usually punished.

Back
Top Bottom