Rammers at the Euro's

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Well, that and the dropped crosses, flapping at mid air and dives about four seconds after the ball screeched past him.

Y'know, I'll make no apology for my assessment of Ramsdale, here and now. His predecessor gained us (easily) nine points in our successful first season yet he can with massive expectation and a pricetag unworthy of a relegated club and within two minutes of the opening game is floundering at a ball he could have got to. The Villa away game, the Leeds at home game, the Man U at home game all saw attempts on goal one would expect a club record goalkeeping signing to reach, regardless of the shit central defence array in front of him. I'm okay he improved, but by the time he had we were relegated so we might as well have put Moore or Verrips in the net for all it was worth. And by 'improved', no way was it a 'Player of the Season' improvement as some will have it. He fucking owed us those saves and if anything, was doing what was expected.

Good luck to him now in the squad and if he plays I hope we see some of what he eventually showed us he can do. But he took his fucking time about it and made some unforgivable fuck ups early doors, some which people on here are conveniently overlooking.

pommpey

While I agree he dropped some clangers early in the season, he recovered well and his stats over the course of the season show the improvement. I would argue Rammers kept us in some games in the second half of the season while those around he him were still not pulling their weight. Don't forget we did have did have Lunny playing, which was effectively like playing with 10 men.

Maybe we would have got a few more draws had Rammers not made some of his mistakes. It still doesn't change the fact we were creating fuck all at the other end of the pitch regardless of how he performed.

While I agree he dropped some clangers early in the season, he recovered well and his stats over the course of the season show the improvement. I would argue Rammers kept us in some games in the second half of the season while those around he him were still not pulling their weight. Don't forget we did have did have Lunny playing, which was effectively like playing with 10 men.

Maybe we would have got a few more draws had Rammers not made some of his mistakes. It still doesn't change the fact we were creating fuck all at the other end of the pitch regardless of how he performed.

Totally agree.

My point is that Rammers was signed at risk, as was most other Wilder purchases. He didn't have a good first half, improved slowly and finished well with a few great stops.

But I expect him to do that from the beginning. We can blame all other players, but if every goal was an Erikson free kick or just simply unstoppable football (and we know what that looks like - we played it for a while) then you can excuse Ramsdale. But when you are contracted and paid as a professional footballer in the top league in the world playing amongst the real elite, you don't let looping headers beat you, you don't allow shots under you body and you don't scream 'LIABILITY' every time you come off your line. Like I say, compare him to some of the really, really good keepers United have had - Alan Kelly being one, and maybe Paddy Kenny, definitely Jim Brown and Alan Hodgkinson and they were far more positive and error free. It is not an excuse to sign someone for £18m and mitigate shit performances with 'his confidence has been shot'. It's all about ability to play at the top level and the skill of anticipation and athleticism, something early Ramsdale showed massive flaws with.

I hope he gets a game in an England shirt if not now, then in the prep for the WC which will come thick and fast after the Euros. But I also hope he irons out the creases in his performance quick, because next season in our rebuild, we can't afford soft starts. He needs to be on his game from match one and make his mark.

pommpey

Totally agree.

My point is that Rammers was signed at risk, as was most other Wilder purchases. He didn't have a good first half, improved slowly and finished well with a few great stops.

But I expect him to do that from the beginning. We can blame all other players, but if every goal was an Erikson free kick or just simply unstoppable football (and we know what that looks like - we played it for a while) then you can excuse Ramsdale. But when you are contracted and paid as a professional footballer in the top league in the world playing amongst the real elite, you don't let looping headers beat you, you don't allow shots under you body and you don't scream 'LIABILITY' every time you come off your line. Like I say, compare him to some of the really, really good keepers United have had - Alan Kelly being one, and maybe Paddy Kenny, definitely Jim Brown and Alan Hodgkinson and they were far more positive and error free. It is not an excuse to sign someone for £18m and mitigate shit performances with 'his confidence has been shot'. It's all about ability to play at the top level and the skill of anticipation and athleticism, something early Ramsdale showed massive flaws with.

I hope he gets a game in an England shirt if not now, then in the prep for the WC which will come thick and fast after the Euros. But I also hope he irons out the creases in his performance quick, because next season in our rebuild, we can't afford soft starts. He needs to be on his game from match one and make his mark.

pommpey

Fair comment….agree with all of that.
As I’ve mentioned before this season I still had a level of sympathy and support last season towards Ramsdsle, Brewster and even McBurnie.
Their main excuse is their young age and a lack of experience…..I’ve still very high hopes for all 3 at ChampIonship level next season. We’ll see.

My favourite goalkeeper was Hodgkinson but even he probably wasn't great from day 1 because it took him over 3 years to establish himself in the 1st Team. What happened in the last season is now old hat and I can't see any benefit in still regurgitating stuff from it when approaching the new season.

Totally agree.

pommpey

I don't know, I think he just made a slow start. It happens. Some players hit the ground running and some need a bit of time. I recall it took De Gea more than a season to settle at Man Utd and when a club like Man Utd go shopping for players they expect perfection from the start.

Don't forget our defence has barely changed for at least 2 seasons. Hendo, JOC, Egan, Bash, Furious, Enda, who operated like clockwork. Yet this season we have jumbled the defence around so many times Rammers didn't know who was starting ahead of him from match to match. Defenders need to have confidence in their keeper but the keeper also needs to have confidence in his defenders. There are times this season where Rammers has been left so exposed by those ahead of him.

We will see how Rammers does from now but he seemed to end the season full of confidence and was very much on his game. The England call up should really help him.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I'm expecting him to give his thanks to me for being his Senpai and guiding him to the England squad with my firm but fair criticisms.

He’s just texted me and asked me to let you know that no such thanks will be forthcoming and that , on the contrary , you are very high up on the Blades team members own ‘ Twats , the lot of ‘em ‘ list . :)

Last edited:
I seem to remember Henderson making some real fuck ups in his first season with us, actually he was still making fuck ups when he went back to Man U like the goal he presented to us at the lane last season.
Yep Leeds at home first one that springs to mind for me in the Championship

Is it? Really?
England one less very good keeper down. Just because the replacement plays for us, as much as I'd love to see the guy get his first cap. Keep your eyes on the prize. England's progression is paramount and more important than SUFC point scoring.
Great news that he will get the international experience. He won’t play and it makes him a more valuable asset. SUFC is far more important to me than England.

Terrible News!...Was hoping we could have kept him in a darkened room till August. Now every lower Prem, wanker club will be casting an eye over him....If he gets a chance of course.
Which he won’t but if they’re after him he’ll be worth far more

pommpey
He's currently 5th choice for England, not sure why he would get a game in preparation for the World Cup unless something changes significantly? I can't think of any counties that give their 5th choice goalkeepers game time just incase they're needed 🤔

Back
Top Bottom