Quick quiz question....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For the substitute question, the top five are:

1. Nick Montgomery (80 sub appearances; 319 starts)
2. Petr Katchrouro (58 ; 63)
3. Paul Peschisolido (57 ; 45)
4. Wayne Allison (49 ; 40)
5. Chris Porter (47 ; 66)

I got this from a list of players with 'at least 100 appearances' (though added Wayne Allison in, as I suspected that he'd be in there and checked his stats), so it's possible that someone else might have made >47 sub appearances with hardly any starts.

Who was the first ever blades substitute used in a game

aid , first ever sub was charltons keeper in 1965
a couple of years after Alan Woodward went in goal and we played Leeds with 10 men and won 1.0

Tony. He replaced the injured Alan Birchenall at Fulham in Sept 1965. At the times subs were allowed only if a player is injured
correct was at that game to watch history change football for ever
Which is what it should be 1 per team , keeps it fair not one team bringing on 120m pounds worth of players and changing 28% of the side

correct was at that game to watch history change football for ever
Which is what it should be 1 per team , keeps it fair not one team bringing on 120m pounds worth of players and changing 28% of the side
You went to Fulham on a Wed evening? By coach?

2 more:
Name the player who played for us at the time who was in the original (40 strong) England 1966 World Cup squad.

Who played for us and was one of the first British players to win the European Cup?

part 2 wee jimmy johnstone

part 1
Manager Alf Ramsey named his provisional list of 40 players on April 7, almost two months earlier than required to give as much notice as possible to the affected clubs. The 40 included the 22 who eventually were named to the final squad, listed above, plus these 18: Gordon West GK (b. Darfield 24.04.43 - 23.04.12), Everton; Anthony ‘Tony’ Keith Waiters (b. Southport 01.02.37 - ) GK, Blackpool; Keith Robert Newton (b. Manchester 23.06.41 – d. Blackburn 16.06.98) RB, Blackburn Rovers; Chris Lawler (b. Liverpool 20.10.43 - ) RB, Liverpool; Paul Reaney (b. Fulham 22.10.44 - ) RB, Leeds United; Gordon Milne RH (b. Preston 29.03.37 - ), Liverpool; Marvin Hinton DF (b. Norwood 02.02.40 - ), Chelsea; John William Hollins CD (b. Guildford 16.06.46 - ), Chelsea; Thomas ‘Tommy Smith’ DF (b. Liverpool 05.04.45 - ) , Liverpool; Terence ‘Terry’ Frederick Venables MF (b. Dagenham 06.01.43 - ), Chelse; Barry John Bridges FW (b. Horsford 22.04.41 - ), Chelsea; Peter Thompson OL (b. Carlisle 27.11.42 - ), Liverpool; Peter Leslie Osgood FW (b. Windsor 20.02.47 – d. Slough 01.03.06), Chelsea; Derek William Temple FW (b. Liverpool 13.11.38 - ), Everton; John Kaye CF (b. Goole 03.03.40 - ), West Bromwich Albion; Frederick Pickering CF (b. Blackburn 19.01.41 - ), Everton; Joseph ‘Joe’ Henry Baker CF (b. Liverpool 17.07.40 d. Wishaw 06.10.03), Notttingham Forest; and Gordon Harris OL (b. Worksop 02.06.40 - ), Burnley.
Ramsey made another squad announcement on May 6, 1966, naming the 28 players who would report for pre-tournament training at the Lilleshall national recreation center in Shropshire on June 6. In addition to the 22 who did survive the final cut, the list of 28 included Peter Thompson, Gordon Milne and Keith Newton from the original list of 40 and three replacements—Robert ‘Bobby’ Victor Tambling, FW (Storrington 18.09.41 - ), Chelsea, for Barry Bridges; John Joseph "Budgie" Byrne IF (b. West Horsley 13.05.39 d. Cape Town SA 27.10.99), West Ham United, for Fred Pickering; and Brian Leslie Labone CD (b. Liverpool 23.01.40 d. Liverpool 24.04.06), Everton FC, for Marvin Hinton. The remaining 12 players from the initial list of 40--West, Waiters, Lawler, Reaney, Hollins, Smith, Venables, Osgood, Temple, Kaye, Baker and Harris were given stand-by status.
Labone withdrew from the squad because of his imminent marriage to his fiance Pat (“It probaly wouldnt happen today. We had booked our wedding and honeymoon 18 months before the team for the World Cup was announced and, to be honest, Brian was not in the original team so we were going ahead and making our plans” Pat Labone), and so only 27 players reported for training at Lilleshall on June 6. At the close of the training session on June 18, Ramsey cut five players--Tambling, John Byrne, Thompson, Milne and Newton--although asking them to remain in training at their club facilities in the event of an emergency. Following a break for a short last visit home, the 22-man squad embarked on a four-match pre-tournament tour of Europe.
On July 3, the day of the third match of the tour, in Copenhagen, Ramsey formally announced the England squad to FIFA and the press. The numbers Ramsey assigned to the squad generally reflected his preferences, Nos. 1-11 constituting his first team and Nos. 12-22 the second string players. The squad as named remained intact; no replacements were needed.

2 more:
Name the player who played for us at the time who was in the original (40 strong) England 1966 World Cup squad.
Keith Kettleborough was at Newcastle at the time when he was picked in the World Cup squad of 40.

Jim Brown was in the Scotland World Cup squad of 40 in 1974

Keith Kettleborough was at Newcastle at the time when he was picked in the World Cup squad of 40.

I stand corrected Silent Blade, and not for the first time. I thought (from memory) that Keith was still with us. It goes to prove that the Wiki is mightier than the brain :)

I stand corrected Silent Blade, and not for the first time. I thought (from memory) that Keith was still with us. It goes to prove that the Wiki is mightier than the brain :)
His last game for us was in the 2-2 home draw against Northampton on New Years Day. Later that year he left Newcastle for Doncaster to be their player-manager. He wasnt a success as their manager before moving to Chesterfield. I remember him chatting with my dad at Maud Maxfield Sports Day (his daughter was in the same school as me) in the early 1970s. He was the player-manager at Matlock Town then and he had a plaster cast on one of his ankles.

Back
Top Bottom