Premiership vs Champ

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Absolutely loved yesterday’s performance. The feel good factor was back, celebrating the goals with my family and seeing the players enjoying their football reminded me of that Championship promotion season.

I have to be honest I enjoy the championship much more than the premiership. I’m sure the club / owner doesn’t as we need the Premiership money to be a ‘profitable’ growing club.

But having that optimism before every game that it’s winnable is such a better feeling.

What’s everyones thoughts?

1. Premiership: Preferred to see us up against the best players week in week out? Battling for any type of result

2. Championship: Turn up to every game with the optimism of winning games and watching us attack instead of 10 men behind the ball.
Only by being in the Premiership for a few years can we get excellent trading facilities and a new Kop.

I take it they dont like the Championship then??!!

It depends….it has a lot of positives…..it’s miles better than league 1.
Its great going to matches knowing you have a realistic chance of promotion but the PL is where it’s at.
It‘s good knowing all the teams are fairly evenly matches so weird results where bottom beats top can happen.

However the gap between the leagues seems to be growing each year.
If you’re not in the PL your club gets smaller and can’t progress properly.
So we need to be in the PL, then we can build on and off the pitch.

When you finish 9th and everyone jizzes over everything you do the PL is amazing. When you stink the league out with shite performances and are virtually relegated in November it’s proper rubbish.

Getting promoted is good but I reckon it would get boring if you did it every other year.

Maybe throw a year in league’s 1, 2 and National League in for good effect just to keep it interesting 🤷‍♂️

There's no denying that yesterday's result was exactly what we needed.....but games like this don't come along that often, certainly not at this level, and that probably goes double if we were back in the Premiership, but there's no denying the fact that without the promise of something positive happening, and I don't mean whether we had beaten Wednesday in a derby game, that I cannot find a tangible or worthwhile reason for the merry-go-round of limited expectations without ever being able to compete against those clubs that have some of the world's best players in their ranks.

Yes, I know that we'd mostly be outclassed, sometimes with embarrassing ease, but how on earth are we to learn and progress, if it's not by playing sides like this? Of course it would require patience (something we're not renowned for having), but for what it's worth my preference is to be part of the Premiership, with all the likelihood of a seasonal struggle to confront, but also to see raw talent develop and grow, something that I doubt could happen if all we had to face were the same lower division teams year in, year out.

As we've seen during our visit to the Premiership, money is a driver, it opens doors and raises expectations, but it's not the be all and end all of why all clubs exists. Don't think for a second that I'm blind to the single-minded money-grab of this country's top clubs, but if we give no regard to this, if we allow these footballng tyrants to do as they please then haven't we only ourselves to blame if we decide to live in isolation by not sitting at the same table as those who would happily cast us into some sort of football oblivion? Perhaps that's overstating what could happen, but there's no doubt that the Glazers of this world are driven by an unusually shortsighted ambition that they feel is all that matters. Well they're wrong. They, and most of this countries premium clubs were about to commit to something this damaging not too long ago, but they hadn't imagined the reaction they would provoke, so they stood down, temporarily I should add, and even now it's clear that a re-think, by these same cynically driven clubs, is underway, determined to increase their wealth, with a closed shop philosophy, and forever and a day they will have nothing to do with the root and branch membership of the business they were once founding members of.

I know there are those who say let them do whatever they wish and be damned, but I feel this is shortsighted, and instead what needs to happen is to adopt a stance where the so-called 'big guns' are not allowed to dictate what happens to football. If this were to happen then it would become a sport for a minority who can afford to watch football on terms that have no regard for those of us who have to count every penny, as they know there will be enough of a supporter base that is willing to pay the exorbitant subscription fees. There will, of course, be token efforts to placate those who are vehemently opposed to this 'them and us' approach. It will reek faux 'sincerity', but never was there a more selfish agenda devised to squeeze the footballing public like lemons.

So, in conclusion, it's why a place at the top table is critical if clubs like SUFC can enable some sort of level playing field to continue. I hope the likes of us, Wednesday, Forest, Blackpool and the rest of the footballing community challenge this type of blinkered and antagonistic mindset. In conclusion, even in defeat, I love the challenge that playing at this level presents, and it's the only way we'll improve both in terms of the players we recruit and the way we improve tactically.

itsinyerblood, I can agree with most of what you said above, with the exception of paragraph two, and the opportunity to see emerging talent.
The risks in blooding young academy players are too great, and too costly In the premier league. More chance for youngsters from the academy to break in to the first team in the championship.
I do think that the place to be is in the Prem. :)

over all my enjoyment is driven by how we play but most of all the results. There was literally nothing to enjoy last season and barely even a goal to cheer

But There’s no rule you have to play dour football and try not to get beat to play in the premier league. That’s what we did too often last year, we just tried not to lose.

there’s a balance between that (which can work) and going all out attack - but outside 3/4 clubs there’s no one we need to really fear. We have proven that.

obviously the chances of becoming a Leicester type force in the Pl are absolutely minute. But it can be done, and if we finished mid table / lower mid table playing an exciting brand of football and could have a cup run or two. I don’t see many complaints!

You find that most fans outside the PL hate that league…….until they gain promotion and find themselves in it.

I know a few Wednesdayites and almost everyone says they aren’t bothered about their team being in the PL because it’s not real football.

Don’t think they need to worry 🤣

Unless we did a Leicester (who knows), I honestly wouldn't mind being a Norwich .. smashing the championship, get promoted.. get relegated whilst taking Prem money - and repeat. Rather be a yoyo team playing attacking football than a park the bus Burnley and 'survive' every year in the Prem.

Unless we did a Leicester (who knows), I honestly wouldn't mind being a Norwich .. smashing the championship, get promoted.. get relegated whilst taking Prem money - and repeat. Rather be a yoyo team playing attacking football than a park the bus Burnley and 'survive' every year in the Prem.

The Norwich team that gets slapped each Premiership season they’re there… no thanks!

Can't think of anything worse than just going in to every season with the expectations of finishing 17th or slightly better and only winning 7 or 8 games a season.

Imagine being a Brighton/Palace/Burnley fan over the last 6 or 7 years. Boring as sin. At least we go from one extreme to the other and make it interesting 🙂

Always loved the first division but it wasnt the same when it became the PL. The 2nd division/ Championship matches are enjoyable. Felt miserable between 1979 and 1983 same for between 2011 and 2016

I want to be in the Premier League. I want Sheffield United to receive £150 million per season, to upgrade players, the ground and training facilities. I want Wednesday to be in the lowest league possible and all the youngsters and students to come to Bramall Lane. I want the world to know who we are and have a packed ground cheering the Blades on.
I want SUFC to be the club of Sheffield.
SUFC are the club of Sheffield not 3rd division rubbish

Always loved the first division but it wasnt the same when it became the PL. The 2nd division/ Championship matches are enjoyable. Felt miserable between 1979 and 1983 same for between 2011 and 2016
81-82 season was brilliant even tho it was 4th div

Back
Top Bottom