Premiership vs Champ

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Millhousesblade1889

Reaction score
Absolutely loved yesterday’s performance. The feel good factor was back, celebrating the goals with my family and seeing the players enjoying their football reminded me of that Championship promotion season.

I have to be honest I enjoy the championship much more than the premiership. I’m sure the club / owner doesn’t as we need the Premiership money to be a ‘profitable’ growing club.

But having that optimism before every game that it’s winnable is such a better feeling.

What’s everyones thoughts?

1. Premiership: Preferred to see us up against the best players week in week out? Battling for any type of result

2. Championship: Turn up to every game with the optimism of winning games and watching us attack instead of 10 men behind the ball.

Absolutely loved yesterday’s performance. The feel good factor was back, celebrating the goals with my family and seeing the players enjoying their football reminded me of that Championship promotion season.

I have to be honest I enjoy the championship much more than the premiership. I’m sure the club / owner doesn’t as we need the Premiership money to be a ‘profitable’ growing club.

But having that optimism before every game that it’s winnable is such a better feeling.

1. Premiership: Preferred to see us up against the best players week in week out? Battling for any type of result

2. Championship: Turn up to every game with the optimism of winning games and watching us attack instead of 10 men behind the ball.
Weird one really. Championship is more even so games are often more exciting but if you get becalmed in it it’s equally as dull, so a bit of both is probably best unless we can find a multi billionaire looking for a project and can be challenging at the top end of the PL of course

2 but football is all about the money , being in the premier league Will give us the investment to improve the ground and sort the new academy site out

I’m proper 50/50 about it. It’s hard to explain really.

i love it when we’re one of the best teams in the division and you go to games with confidence. When we score goals, create chances and win games - wonderful.

if we go back up and the target is to avoid relegation and we expect to lose a lot of games - is that less fun / exciting / enjoyable than being in the championship? I don’t know.

on one hand if you’re the best in the championship you deserve the promotion and the riches that go with it. But realistically we’d never break top 6 and will never in a million years win the league so is it all a bit pointless when you get up there?

the first premier league season under Wilder was incredible… so I think I’d like another crack to see if we can replicate / better that in future.

You find that most fans outside the PL hate that league…….until they gain promotion and find themselves in it.

I know a few Wednesdayites and almost everyone says they aren’t bothered about their team being in the PL because it’s not real football.

For me we’re going to Hull in a couple of weeks and fans will turn up full of hope/ expectation that we’ll win.

You go to Villa or Palace on a Tuesday night and you’re literally just hoping for the best.
But that’s because of the sides we go up with. If we’d continued in the same form, brought in £40M of players that improved us and kept blooding some noses I think that changes.
We need to go up and consolidate rather than peak and then drop like a stone.

Quite a difficult question to answer you've set there.
In all honesty I think most, like me will struggle to come up with a clear and definite answer like yes I want to be in the PL but no I don't want to see us struggle most weeks, perhaps if the top six did piss off into a Euro league it would make life easier for teams like us to prosper in the PL, so until that may happen I'll sit on the fence

For the financial future of the club we need access to prem money to fund the updating of club facilities to secure the clubs future. Ideally we’d become an established prem team where if things go well we could mount a challenge for Europe but given that’s incredibly unlikely a more realistic goal is to become a yoyo team in the medium term the key is to do it without capitulating in the prem like Norwich. First and foremost though this season has to be a successful one

I enjoy going toe to toe with the best and outplaying them. Memories of the Prem have been tarnished by last season, but I find more enjoyment in beating the likes of Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal than I do Peterborough.
The sweet spot around the Man U/Burnley/Spurs games in the first half of the first season back in the Prem was the best I’ve seen a United team play. A shame we couldn’t consolidate our position because when you look at teams like Leicester, it can be done.

To progress as a club you have to be in the Premier league but Championship football is much more enjoyable no bias refs who favour the top six and no 3min pause while VAR tries it's hardest to stop you celebrating a goal.

And Saturday 3.00 kick off, and no VAR to take the edge off celebrations.
I can now watch Leeds v Liverpool at home at a time that suits me, rather than go to the game at a stupid time.
I'm more than happy with the Championship with the occasional foray into the Premier league to top up the coffers.

I enjoy the Championship, it's a fun league with some very exciting football... But it's not even close to the Premier League. That's where I want us to be, ultimately.

I should have said you can also celebrate goals without dreading a possible VAR decision

Honestly, I feel like I despise about 95% of the Premier League
Was the other 5% the anticipation on the transfers rumour thread for Brewster.

Have to agree, apart from the big 6 (half of who wanted a European super league) what is there actually to play for. Survival? What’s the point to win one game in 8 over the season and get to the last 16 of a cup

Would prefer the PL if we had owners who had the funds required to compete, improve the ground and training facilities. But we don’t and never have.

I want to be in the Premier League. I want Sheffield United to receive £150 million per season, to upgrade players, the ground and training facilities. I want Wednesday to be in the lowest league possible and all the youngsters and students to come to Bramall Lane. I want the world to know who we are and have a packed ground cheering the Blades on.
I want SUFC to be the club of Sheffield.

Anyone telling you a non promotion season in the championship is better than 14th in the premier league is off their head let alone 9th...

I really like the championship, the standard is varied but I think it’s much more even than the premier league.

I don’t watch the premier league if we’re not there.

The Premier League has it's faults, and our previous 3 seasons in League One/Champ were incredible. However, I've never felt as excited about going to a match as I did in 2019/20.

The atmosphere was incredible, and we showed what we can do to the world. Filled me with pride, and it may never be that good again.

Maybe it wears off after 4 or 5 years of staving off relegation, but mid-table in the Prem is 100x better than midtable in the Championship to me.

The championship is a lot more even in terms of anyone can beat anyone and yeh it is nice to go into every game with a genuine belief we can win the game , the gap in class between the PL and the Championship nowadays is a chasm .
I’ve enjoyed all our other seasons in the top flight , we’ve always been competitive particularly at the The Lane , obviously 2 seasons ago being the icing on the cake .. but I have to say last season was absolutely soul destroying , week in week out set out to stifle the opponents and hope we can score on a rare foray forward .. if your asking would I like to get promoted again and do the same then No I’d rather be in the Championship.. but if we were to get back there under the current manager I’m sure we’d have a go .. even if it didn’t work out ⚔️

You find that most fans outside the PL hate that league…….until they gain promotion and find themselves in it.

I know a few Wednesdayites and almost everyone says they aren’t bothered about their team being in the PL because it’s not real football.
I take it they dont like the Championship then??!!

Surely the reason most of us go is because we aspire the club to progress whilst enjoying the journey as best we can?

Back
Top Bottom