Pre-match Burnley away presser

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

"Highest distance covered this season" vs Bournemouth. I agree with Hecky that, although it may not have looked spirited, gutsy performance, I don't think a lack of effort is the main problem. But if we don't get our tactics right a lot of the running is wasted. He also mentions Bournemouth's sprinting as a thing that separated the teams.

"Highest distance covered this season" vs Bournemouth. I agree with Hecky that, although it may not have looked spirited, gutsy performance, I don't think a lack of effort is the main problem. But if we don't get our tactics right a lot of the running is wasted. He also mentions Bournemouth's sprinting as a thing that separated the teams.
I'm not concerned with how much distance we've covered or other team's stats! I would like to see some basics, passing the ball to feet perhaps and not treating the ball like an hot potato, making ourselves available from throw ins, shooting at goal, just normal everyday basic football would be a start. He's too concerned with stats, nothing to come at Burnley, he's spoken to Bettis and everything is fine,carry on with the plan ffs.

Perhaps refusing to pressure their back line till after half tome and letting Tavernier and Semenyo have acres to sprint into were, on reflection errors

2 weeks to prepare and we set up in the way that, to my simple brain played most into Bournemouths strengths and did nothing to attack their weaknesses. It was tactical surrender

Rolling out stats to spin a bad situation. Sounds like a politician.

Journalist: "Minister - the is rioting and looting continues, with no end in site. This is clearly due to the reduced numbers of police following your governments recent cuts to public services"

Minister: "Whilst the number of police officers has been reduced, I would point out that number of car thefts in rural Dorset have reduced by almost 12%, so the service overall has clearly improved"

"We tried really, really hard but we weren't good enough" is not an effective explanation. My response to that is either 1) the players performed poorly 2) the players did not act out the tactical plan 3) they did act out the plan and the plan was flawed or 4) there isn't really a tactical plan and every game is a bit of 🤷‍♂️

I'm comfortable taking all of those points and saying "yep, it's because of that"

Rolling out stats to spin a bad situation. Sounds like a politician.

Journalist: "Minister - the is rioting and looting continues, with no end in site. This is clearly due to the reduced numbers of police following your governments recent cuts to public services"

Minister: "Whilst the number of police officers has been reduced, I would point out that number of car thefts in rural Dorset have reduced by almost 12%, so the service overall has clearly improved"
He didn’t try to spin it at all.
The stats showed no lack of effort, but he was clear that our use of the ball was totally unacceptable.
Criticise him by all means, but at least do so fairly.

Mixed bag of an interview. Some truly ridiculous questions again - the first one was the worst.
‘Is this the biggest game of the season so far?’
Fuck me - come on… supposed to be professional journalist from Sky Sports for god’s sake.

I thought in fairness Hecky’s point around the spending of Bournemouth was valid, but then he laboured on and on about it. He should have been asked ‘why didn't you buy players who were fit and who would be ready to start the season and ‘why (Davies aside - who also wasn’t fit ) didn’t you get some premier league experience in?’

Lazy journalism really gets on my Bristols.

The comment about doing something right as we are on a par with bottom of the league Burnley was the final straw tho.

It wasn't the effort, the formation, the tactics or the team picked...
It wasthey were fast and athletic, and have been in the Prem longer than us.

Well, just wave the white flag for every home game as we come onto the field then.

We’ve covered most distance chasing shadows.
Exactly this. Woopty soo we ran more than we did in any other game this season. This tends to happen when you give the opposition 5 yards of space, pet them pass it around you, then spend 90 minutes running after them.

We didn't do the distances because we were putting 110% effort in, we did it because we couldn't get near the feckin ball

I'll wait for the summary. I cba with listening to him, I'm at that stage.
Summary;

1. Can't fault the players efforts against Bmouth as "stats proved we ran more than they did!! Maybe the fact they had the ball and we couldn't get it off them was the main reason.
2. Waxed lyrically about Bmouths front six in terms of their pace and athleticism. Yet they hadn't won away for 7 months before they played us.
3. Wouldn't accept we were set up defensively. Said we failed because we gave the ball away too much.
4. When asked about considering changing approach to games responded by saying change was made all the time during 90 minutes, which didn't really answer the question.
5. Rightly pointed out we've lost some games this season late on as a result of the quality of the oppositions bench but is unable to explain why it was so flat against Bmouth a bottom four team.
6. Bemoaned the lack of spending compared to Bmouth over the last 2 years. Valid assertion.
7. No pressure on him from above although he has only spoken to Bettis not PA. If the owner isn't speaking to him after the negative reaction from the fanbase to Saturdays result you do worry he's being hung out to dry again.
8. Only mentioned RND when asked about long term injuries. He's doing some training now with the team. No update on Brewster, T. Davies, Jebbinson or Coulibaly. Others carrying knocks but all have trained this week. Wes been ill but back training now.
9. Believes we'll improve by doing work on the training ground.

Overall an uninspiring listen. Stock answers to many questions. Acknowledged standards had fallen against Bmouth. Argues the continued disruption of players through injury hasn't helped but thats no different to other clubs and would seem to be of his own making. Like the Barcodes result Bmouth seems to have been brushed under the carpet without any recognition the impact it has had on the morale of the players and supporters.

This last week can't have been good for his health knowing the majority now want him out so you have to admire his resilience. Fail on Saturday and the pressure will increase ten fold. The owner has a duty of care to be seen to be supporting his manager during this tough time. Unfortunately there is currently little evidence to confirm this as the reactive malaise continues to permeate throughout all aspects of the Clubs operations.

To be fair if the 'data' is showing we ran round more than usual, and we have a wardrobe and a chest of drawers in centre midfield, we must have 9 contenders for the marathon in the next Olympics.

Hes started to talk some right shite to try and deflect from him having no idea how to attack or defend as a team

He’s either completely oblivious or the Prince has told him whatever happens he keeps his job.
If the Prince has told Hecky his job is safe no matter what results are and how badly the team plays every match, then the club needs to start refunding season tickets. Fans have paid a lot of money to watch Premier League football and they've been rewarded with negative, defeatist dire football. It is unacceptable to take hundreds of pounds from hard working fans and then say the plan was to accept relegation from day one and not even try to stay up. If that's the case then Sheffield United as a club can **** off!!!

Accepting that relegation is a likelihood and accepting it is one thing. To allow these performances to continue and not even put up a fight is unforgiveable, particularly with 27,000 fans in the ground who have all paid to watch and enjoy a football match. All this would prove is what we feared when Hecky took over. That he is nothing more than a pathetic yes man and puppet for this club, hence no interviews with other managers and the immediate appointment on a five year contract.

I genuinely fear for the future of this club as I can see us going back down to League One and being in there for longer than the six years we were there last time.

Last edited:
That was a hard watch. Some daft questions and nothing really examined him or his tactics/approach.

He seems unable to know what to say and I bet deep down he does not believe what he is saying. They are just stock answers but sound daft when it's staring us in the face that not only are we not good enough but he has no idea to even get us competing. He basically admits he has tried everything.

He's a nice fella, stabilised the club after Slav left and took us up but for all the much bigger issues in the club that starts at the top, I still expect a level of effort and some pride from the team. The fans will not put up with what they saw on Saturday again. He can hide behind stats but the reality is we are a million miles off in every aspect of the game.

I hope it doesn't turn nasty on and off the field at Hecky. He's a good guy who has put up with a lot if shit but he's getting nowt out of this squad (albeit not good enough anyway) and fans need to see we are at least having a go.

I think it will be best for all parties including his own sanity and well being if there is a parting of the ways. I expect Burnley to put us away quite easily Saturday despite their poor start and then surely the inevitable happens before Liverpool.

Think we all need to lay off Heckys back here.

Back
Top Bottom