Pre-match Burnley away presser

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That was a hard watch. Some daft questions and nothing really examined him or his tactics/approach.

He seems unable to know what to say and I bet deep down he does not believe what he is saying. They are just stock answers but sound daft when it's staring us in the face that not only are we not good enough but he has no idea to even get us competing. He basically admits he has tried everything.

He's a nice fella, stabilised the club after Slav left and took us up but for all the much bigger issues in the club that starts at the top, I still expect a level of effort and some pride from the team. The fans will not put up with what they saw on Saturday again. He can hide behind stats but the reality is we are a million miles off in every aspect of the game.

I hope it doesn't turn nasty on and off the field at Hecky. He's a good guy who has put up with a lot if shit but he's getting nowt out of this squad (albeit not good enough anyway) and fans need to see we are at least having a go.

I think it will be best for all parties including his own sanity and well being if there is a parting of the ways. I expect Burnley to put us away quite easily Saturday despite their poor start and then surely the inevitable happens before Liverpool.

Agreed, for his own personal sake Hecky needs to depart while their is some neutral respect between him and the fans.

Its going to turn toxic the longer he stays with fans nit-picking (justifiably tho imho) everything he says and does.

"Highest distance covered this season" vs Bournemouth. I agree with Hecky that, although it may not have looked spirited, gutsy performance, I don't think a lack of effort is the main problem. But if we don't get our tactics right a lot of the running is wasted. He also mentions Bournemouth's sprinting as a thing that separated the teams.
Wow, he’s admitting that it’s a surprise to us that some teams have players who can run fast?!

Another nail in the coffin of our recruitment team.

Summary;

1. Can't fault the players efforts against Bmouth as "stats proved we ran more than they did!! Maybe the fact they had the ball and we couldn't get it off them was the main reason.
2. Waxed lyrically about Bmouths front six in terms of their pace and athleticism. Yet they hadn't won away for 7 months before they played us.
3. Wouldn't accept we were set up defensively. Said we failed because we gave the ball away too much.
4. When asked about considering changing approach to games responded by saying change was made all the time during 90 minutes, which didn't really answer the question.
5. Rightly pointed out we've lost some games this season late on as a result of the quality of the oppositions bench but is unable to explain why it was so flat against Bmouth a bottom four team.
6. Bemoaned the lack of spending compared to Bmouth over the last 2 years. Valid assertion.
7. No pressure on him from above although he has only spoken to Bettis not PA. If the owner isn't speaking to him after the negative reaction from the fanbase to Saturdays result you do worry he's being hung out to dry again.
8. Only mentioned RND when asked about long term injuries. He's doing some training now with the team. No update on Brewster, T. Davies, Jebbinson or Coulibaly. Others carrying knocks but all have trained this week. Wes been ill but back training now.
9. Believes we'll improve by doing work on the training ground.

Overall an uninspiring listen. Stock answers to many questions. Acknowledged standards had fallen against Bmouth. Argues the continued disruption of players through injury hasn't helped but thats no different to other clubs and would seem to be of his own making. Like the Barcodes result Bmouth seems to have been brushed under the carpet without any recognition the impact it has had on the morale of the players and supporters.

This last week can't have been good for his health knowing the majority now want him out so you have to admire his resilience. Fail on Saturday and the pressure will increase ten fold. The owner has a duty of care to be seen to be supporting his manager during this tough time. Unfortunately there is currently little evidence to confirm this as the reactive malaise continues to permeate throughout all aspects of the Clubs operations.
His most most ridiculous comment was 'as we are in a similar position to Burnley, proves we are doing things right'.
If 5 points from 13 games, being totally outplayed, having no tactics and playing style, terrible recruitment is 'getting it right', I truly despair.
I've had enough of him and want him gone.

In this scenario last time Wilder came across in interviewa as cracking under pressure due to the potential for relegation.

Hecky always comes across as calm and composed and he never gives any genuine indication that he's disappointed or frustrated with the performances. It's hard to get a read on him. He doesn't seem to be acting either. He genuinely comes across as relaxed and fine with everything.

This worries me that he is perhaps this calm and composed and not feeling the pressure, not because he's deluded, but because he knows his job is safe no matter how badly we play or lose and that he will be in charge next season in the Championship. This pisses me off if it is the case.

At least Wilder showed that he cared. He showed some emotion. Hecky just goes through the motion giving safe paint by numbers answers and he doesn't seem remotely bothered or concerned about the way we're playing. He doesn't acknowledge it other than to say "we're not playing to the standards we set" which he's said so many times now it's practically his catch phrase.

The longer this continues the more I'm becoming convinced that he has been told his job is safe no matter what, which means the club and owner truly don't give a shit and have washed their hands of this season. The problem with this approach and keeping Hecky no matter what is that it's going to start getting nasty soon. Bramall Lane emptying 15 minutes before the end will become a regular occurrence. Fans will start fighting among themselves in the stands and outside the ground. It's going to get ugly and though everyone is responsible for their own actions, the club will be at fault for lighting the fuse.

Things are going to turn really sour soon. The fans needs to start some chants during matches soon to voice their displeasure at the owner and the club.

Agreed, for his own personal sake Hecky needs to depart while their is some neutral respect between him and the fans.

Its going to turn toxic the longer he stays with fans nit-picking (justifiably tho imho) everything he says and does.
Exactly this, he’s done a great job under the circumstances. He’s now used all his credit up that he banked, he has to go now as the majority of us want him to go away with his head held high. It’s going to now get toxic the crowd will turn on the players for every mistake they make, the situation is now going to get very unpleasant against the inevitable hammering against Liverpool.

That was a hard watch. Some daft questions and nothing really examined him or his tactics/approach.

He seems unable to know what to say and I bet deep down he does not believe what he is saying. They are just stock answers but sound daft when it's staring us in the face that not only are we not good enough but he has no idea to even get us competing. He basically admits he has tried everything.

He's a nice fella, stabilised the club after Slav left and took us up but for all the much bigger issues in the club that starts at the top, I still expect a level of effort and some pride from the team. The fans will not put up with what they saw on Saturday again. He can hide behind stats but the reality is we are a million miles off in every aspect of the game.

I hope it doesn't turn nasty on and off the field at Hecky. He's a good guy who has put up with a lot if shit but he's getting nowt out of this squad (albeit not good enough anyway) and fans need to see we are at least having a go.

I think it will be best for all parties including his own sanity and well being if there is a parting of the ways. I expect Burnley to put us away quite easily Saturday despite their poor start and then surely the inevitable happens before Liverpool.
Do you think that any new manager that is available could improve the quality and athleticism of this squad ?
I think the owner is using this season to balance the books, so paying compensation to the current management team and hiring another group would scupper those plans.

Exactly this, he’s done a great job under the circumstances. He’s now used all his credit up that he banked, he has to go now as the majority of us want him to go away with his head held high. It’s going to now get toxic the crowd will turn on the players for every mistake they make, the situation is now going to get very unpleasant against the inevitable hammering against Liverpool.
Who is going to pay the compensation to get rid of them and then hire a new set ? I doubt there are sufficient funds to do that.

Who is going to pay the compensation to get rid of them and then hire a new set ? I doubt there are sufficient funds to do that.
I would sell Souza to Ikea and use the funds to get rid of him!

We cant use the compensation excuse as a reason not to part ways. He clearly doesn't have the tactical nous to outwit anyone in this division. We dont set up to attack and there are so many holes as a defensive unit!

We gave the ball away because we never tried to pass the fucker….. hoof… hoof …hoof

We couldn’t apply a simple press not once all game can I remember one being executed

We allowed Bournemouth to run at us without engaging them physically in any way shape or form.

Individually players had terrible games:

Bogle - was truly awful
Mcatee - liked like Luton last season
Souza - looked like he accidentally became a footballer
Hamer - fat and unfit couldn’t keep up

You can’t carry 4/11 players having 2/10 games of football.

The whole thing was truly shocking and to try and dress it up as anything else.

As wilder used to say “running around is a given for a footballer” so bollocks to distant covered stats.

They are all having a fucking laugh at our expense it’s a joke a complete joke and we are basically taking it and allowing it to happen.

Think we all need to lay off Heckys back here.
I don't think anyone on here thinks he's anything other than a good bloke and many were saying similar (for far too long) but it's gone way beyond that no matter what the result on Saturday. I'd love to look through your rose tinted spectacles but unfortunately misplaced them some time ago.

Do you think that any new manager that is available could improve the quality and athleticism of this squad ?
I think the owner is using this season to balance the books, so paying compensation to the current management team and hiring another group would scupper those plans.

We look like we did as a League 1 side under Clough playing at Old Trafford. But we’re a Premier League team, albeit a weak one. We shouldn’t be looking this bad.

If the Prince has told Hecky his job is safe no matter what results are and how badly the team plays every match, then the club needs to start refunding season tickets. Fans have paid a lot of money to watch Premier League football and they've been rewarded with negative, defeatist dire football. It is unacceptable to take hundreds of pounds from hard working fans and then say the plan was to accept relegation from day one and not even try to stay up. If that's the case then Sheffield United as a club can **** off!!!

Accepting that relegation is a likelihood and accepting it is one thing. To allow these performances to continue and not even put up a fight is unforgiveable, particularly with 27,000 fans in the ground who have all paid to watch and enjoy a football match. All this would prove is what we feared when Hecky took over. That he is nothing more than a pathetic yes man and puppet for this club, hence no interviews with other managers and the immediate appointment on a five year contract.

I genuinely fear for the future of this club as I can see us going back down to League One and being in there for longer than the six years we were there last time.
Post of the day mate for me I've said exactly the same, refund our season ticket money, and let him be in charge with no fucker watching his turgid style of football, if some fucker doesn't get hold of this club soon were on the downward spiral big time with the owner who doesn't give a fuck!!

So how did the Pigs get rid of Xisco's circus? Loads of clubs sack managers in much worst financial position than United.

Based on the assumption that getting a new manager wouldn’t keep us up or provide us with anymore chance of getting promoted next season then you’re right.

If it allows us to stay up or enhances our chances of promotion next season then it’s worthwhile.

I’d like to see the stat of distance covered whilst in possession of the ball?

I reckon the biggest distance covered were when 3rd goal went in and half the crowd walked out 🤦🏻‍♂️

So how far a player runs tells you he is putting the effort in FFS. Yes they might have put the distance in but they were chasing shadows. They certainly didn't run about to find space so the likes of Norwood could only lump high balls in the direction of 5'7"Archer because no one else was available. No effort was shown on being brave with the ball to take a man on as soon as anyone comes near them they pass back until it eventually reaches Wes. Hardly any effort shown to get a tackle in or rough an opponent up like the Bournemouth players were doing to us.
To be honest after that non performance I find it hard to believe Hecky is still in the job, it just goes to show the Prince probably doesn't even watch the games surely if he had watched that Hecky would have been sacked on Saturday night. We used to laugh at pig fans leaving the sty at half time but now it is happening at the lane.

Running around a lot but not winning first or second balls is a problem.

Hecky leaning more heavily on the disparity of budgets than he normally does.

I also wish he'd stop interrupting the question half way through so he can provide the answer he wants which often bears no relevance to the question trying to be asked. I also wish the interviewers would say 'sorry Paul, that's not what I asked' occasionally.

Some bizarre comments from him really and how he can pull any positives from last week is astonishing.

It was a capitulation on every level, tactical, technical and physical, against a team that we really should have been looking to match.

Hard to say how it might go tomorrow, as Burnley are rather shit too, but I fear the worst.

So how did the Pigs get rid of Xisco's circus? Loads of clubs sack managers in much worst financial position than United.

They told HMRC to do one, launched a Go Fund Me appeal, then Chancer cried quite hard while asking his Dad to up his pocket money.

That’s yer business model, right there. We copy everything else they do, apparently, so why not?

Gerritt sorted Bog Roll!

Some bizarre comments from him really and how he can pull any positives from last week is astonishing.

It was a capitulation on every level, tactical, technical and physical, against a team that we really should have been looking to match.

Hard to say how it might go tomorrow, as Burnley are rather shit too, but I fear the worst.

Problem is its PR the bizarre comments are probably because you cant say anything negative and have to put a spin on it. Like everything else at the moment our spin is awful.
The comment that annoys me is his "must do better" in post match interviews but then they dont do better they do worse.

I`m going to the Liverpool game which will be our first this season but its more for my son who supports Liverpool I dont expect us to get anywhere near a result. I fear by then the crowd will really have turned.

We look like we did as a League 1 side under Clough playing at Old Trafford. But we’re a Premier League team, albeit a weak one. We shouldn’t be looking this bad.
Pedants corner...Clough had a decent record away at PL sides (beat Fulham, Villa; lost to a ridiculous penalty* at Spurs). It was an Adkins side which lost at Old Trafford, another ludicrous penalty**.

*McEveley inexplicably handballing
**Invisible Dean becoming visible for a moment and sliding in for a tackle he was never going to make in the 93rd minute

I would sell Souza to Ikea and use the funds to get rid of him!

We cant use the compensation excuse as a reason not to part ways. He clearly doesn't have the tactical nous to outwit anyone in this division. We dont set up to attack and there are so many holes as a defensive unit!
It’s not necessarily an excuse. If there is no money then it cannot happen, just like any of us.

It’s not necessarily an excuse. If there is no money then it cannot happen, just like any of us.
If that is a genuine reason, and I don't believe it is (listening to Bettis for next season and his sell one player answer to have a competitive budget) then move him aside to be U-23s manager and let's see if any of the backroom staff know anything about tactics and trying to score goals etc!

At the moment he is sounding like he has won a raffle to be a football manager, and bought himself the 'Dummys guide to football data'

He’s either completely oblivious or the Prince has told him whatever happens he keeps his job.
He's got a 5 year contract so there's no way he's resigning. The Prince only seems concerned with the financial side of the business and has cleared the decks so when we get relegated we aren't in trouble.

The only message the Prince will listen to is monetary. At the moment that's only a whisper but there are still tickets available for Liverpool and when I got my Luton tickets earlier this week there were loads available and that's the Boxing Day fixture. 'Walk up' sales will drop after Xmas but the big test will be season ticket sales when they try and get everyone to renew early.

I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, he'd repeatedly bring up running stats.

That's all I'd be fucked about if I played under him, make sure I've moved around enough, performance a very distant second

"Highest distance covered this season" vs Bournemouth. I agree with Hecky that, although it may not have looked spirited, gutsy performance, I don't think a lack of effort is the main problem. But if we don't get our tactics right a lot of the running is wasted. He also mentions Bournemouth's sprinting as a thing that separated the teams.
might aswell add, skill, movement, setup, ball usage, shots, pressing etc to this

Back
Top Bottom