Play Off records

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

And Tonge had a free kick that was tipped onto the post.

All after the penalty miss.

Score the penalty, the game becomes a different kettle of fish...

And in the first half at 2-0 down, Kabba almost fluked one in. I think he was trying to cross (from the right) but probably mishit it. However, they scored their their pretty soon aftrwards.2-1 at half time would have put a very different complexion on the game to 3-0.

And in the first half at 2-0 down, Kabba almost fluked one in. I think he was trying to cross (from the right) but probably mishit it. However, they scored their their pretty soon aftrwards.2-1 at half time would have put a very different complexion on the game to 3-0.

I remember that. It took a huge deflection and look to be going in as Matt Murray was committed to going the other way. As it happened, he readjusted himself and pulled off a great save.

Murray was voted man of the match, which says a lot about our performance attacking wise. Despite the 3-0 defeat that was easily our best final performance of the 3.

I remember that. It took a huge deflection and look to be going in as Matt Murray was committed to going the other way. As it happened, he readjusted himself and pulled off a great save.

Murray was voted man of the match, which says a lot about our performance attacking wise. Despite the 3-0 defeat that was easily our best final performance of the 3.

Completely won the battle of the minds with Brown on the penalty as well. Goaded him into shooting to Murray's Left.

Done it for you...

Average point gap between first and last placed play off qualifier 1988-89 - 2010-11

D2: 7.7
D3: 8.0
D4: 7.4

So virtually no difference at all. Another SOB theory bites the dust :)

Hardly a theory!

I think there still warrent some sort of analysis into why the highest placed team is significantly more sucessfull in L2 playoffs than in L1/Champo...

Where have we finished in our Play-Off years? Third in 2003 obviously as well as last time around. Did we sneak in at 6th when we lost to Sunderland? And I think it was perhaps 5th when we lost to Palace.

Where have we finished in our Play-Off years? Third in 2003 obviously as well as last time around. Did we sneak in at 6th when we lost to Sunderland? And I think it was perhaps 5th when we lost to Palace.

Spot on.

3rd in 2009 so we played 6th placed Prestonwith the 2nd leg at home
3rd in 2003 so we played 6th placed Forest with the 2nd leg at home
6th (just) in 1998 so we played 3rd placed Sunderland with the 1st leg at home
5th in 1997 so we played 4th placed Ipswich with the 1st leg at home

Listening to the second leg against Ipswich on the radio is just about the most nerve-wracking experience of my life! The same scores these days would lead to a penalty shoot-out instead.

Listening to the second leg against Ipswich on the radio is just about the most nerve-wracking experience of my life! The same scores these days would lead to a penalty shoot-out instead.

That was the longest night of my life. I've never been more nervous at a Blades game. There was a good thread about that game last year, I recall.

Ditto.

I remember listening to it on 5 live (I think) as I was at Uni in Sunderland, and the Palace v Wolves game was on Sky.

Queue a dash to the pub to watch extra time, when sky switch their coverage at FT.

Alan Brazils face was a picture in itself...

That explains it. I thought it looked as though he was trying to cross and assumed he mishit it. I didn't have the heart to watch it again on the high (or low) lights when I got home.

Cardiff was shit - probably the worst view I've ever had at a football match.

I think I must have watched nearly the entire match on the TVs they had along the roof.

Interesting. So the often quoted stat of "3rd never goes up in the playoffs, it's generally the team in 6th that wins" is actually a load of crap :)

Isn't the point really that the team finishing third doesn't go up as much as they are entitled to?

I mean, if you finish third then you've shown that you're the best team in play-offs (assuming that the league table doesn't lie - ask @Ollesandro about this). Surely it's logical to say that the BEST team should ALWAYS win the play-offs, all things being equal. If you took out all of the variables, then the third placed team should win 100% of the time, no?

I want to know Olle's mates verdict on this season.

Where in the table did we actually finish?

Isn't the point really that the team finishing third doesn't go up as much as they are entitled to?

I mean, if you finish third then you've shown that you're the best team in play-offs (assuming that the league table doesn't lie - ask @Ollesandro about this). Surely it's logical to say that the BEST team should ALWAYS win the play-offs, all things being equal. If you took out all of the variables, then the third placed team should win 100% of the time, no?

Not at all. Does a higher placed team always win against a lower placed team? Of course not. If that were the case in our PL season, we would have only have achieved 12 points as only 2 teams finished below us, we would never have beat Arsenal that season, relegated Wycombe would never have beat us this season
etc etc.

As the play off teams are relatively closely matched, you would expect not much more than a 25% success rate for each team. The 43% for top placed winners shows that they are quite a bit more likely than one would expect to win.

Not at all. Does a higher placed team always win against a lower placed team? Of course not. If that were the case in our PL season, we would have only have achieved 12 points as only 2 teams finished below us, we would never have beat Arsenal that season, relegated Wycombe would never have beat us this season
etc etc.

We would have stayed up in the PL actually because we would have been 16th alphabetically before a ball had even been kicked.

;)

As the play off teams are relatively closely matched, you would expect not much more than a 25% success rate for each team. The 43% for top placed winners shows that they are quite a bit more likely than one would expect to win.

I don't see where the 25% comes from though. We are 17 points better than Stevenage, so we have a better chance than them to go up, if the league table is a fair reflection of ability.

I don't see where the 25% comes from though. We are 17 points better than Stevenage, so we have a better chance than them to go up, if the league table is a fair reflection of ability.

The general myth about the play offs is that the 3rd place team does worse than you would expect because they are demotivated from just missing out on automatic. The fact that the 3rd place team wins 43% of the time seems to put paid to that myth.

17 points is a far larger gap that usual, so yes, in that situation, you would expect us to win as we are clearly a better team (but then we only took 1 point off Stevenage in the league season). Usually the gap is in the order of 5-7 points, so the 4 teams are generally pretty evenly matched and you probably expect all of the four contenders to have pretty similar ability levels.

(but then we only took 1 point off Stevenage in the league season)

When we played Wolves in '03 they hadn't beaten us in the league. When we played Burnley in '09 we hadn't beaten them in the league.

I've looked for patterns before before but it's utterly futile. What will be will be. :)

When we played Wolves in '03 they hadn't beaten us in the league. When we played Burnley in '09 we hadn't beaten them in the league.

I've looked for patterns before before but it's utterly futile. What will be will be. :)

Surely the pattern is there for all to see.
Regardless of league position, points differentials and previous meetings, United always lose. ;)

In all three of our previous play off finals I was so drunk that I forgot my own name

True.

We beat Palace twice in 96-97 and lost the Po final. We lost to Burnley twice in 08-09 and lost the PO final.

:-(

I think everyone has got to be positive, we've not lost yet. Records are there to be broken, as Danny said, and one day, when ever that will be, we will win a play off final. Fingers crossed it's this year.

From memory, in '97 Ipswich had done the double over us whilst we had done the double over Palace. Fat lot of good it did either side.

Edit - Darren beat me to part of my post!

Records are they're to be smashed into a trillion pieces

Back
Top Bottom