Play Off records

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pretty sure I read online the other day that Preston have failed 8 times in play offs!?!

Pretty sure I read online the other day that Preston have failed 8 times in play offs!?!

Think they're the worst. Cardiff must be pretty useless too.

All of which suggests we're pretty good in the playoffs*.

*'til the final.

Football League Play Off Final Records:

Bolton played 4 won 2 lost 2 scored 7 conceded 6
Reading played 3 won 0 lost 3 scored 7 conceded 11
Bristol City Played 3 won 0 lost 3 scored 3 conceded 9
Preston North End played 3 won 0 lost 3 scored 2 conceded 8
Leeds played 3 won 0 lost 3 scored 1 conceded 6
Sheffield United played 3 won 0 lost 3 scored 0 conceded 5

Overall though I think PNE are the worst with 8 attempts at the Play offs with Cardiff City working hard to get the record.

Teams with worse playoff records than us:

Preston: 8 attempts, reached 3 finals, no wins
Bury: 6 attempts, reached 1 final, no wins
Brentford: 6 attempts, reached 2 finals, no wins

Every other team who has had 6 or more goes has won at least one final, although Ipswich's record (knocked out in the semis 6 times out of 7, won the final the other time) is pretty poor too.

United's record is identical to Bristol City's (5 attempts, 3 finals, no wins).

Forest have appeared most without even reaching a final (4 appearances). MK Dons, Oldham and Barnet have been in 3 semis each without victory.

Nobody has lost 4 finals, though United and Torquay could both still do that this season...Torquay have at least won one.

On the credit side, Peterborough (promoted 3 times out of 3) and Cheltenham (2 times out of 2) are the only teams who have featured more than once and have a 100% record.

Blackpool have won 4 finals, which is a record. Swindon and Palace have won 3 times (both in 6 attempts) as well as Peterborough.​

Is this our 6th attempt or 5th then?

Remember losing only one semi to Sunderland?

Nightmare by Testament. Perfect record for the Blades in the play-offs

You wanted money, you wanted fame
You broke the rules before you knew the game
Wounds tearing you up like a knife
Wish it was the end of your life, it's a nightmare
Going down that road on account of you
No escape from the things you put me through
I don't know, I don't care, I can't go anywhere,
It's a nightmare coming back to you!
Don't wanna die, just wanna live!
I've got stop taking what they give
So many roads moving all around
I only see the one going down, it's a nightmare
It's a nightmare coming back to you!

We got to fight, we got to try
When all is gone we'll know the reason why
To kill the enemy we will win the wars
To find the place our life was before, it's a nightmare
It's a nightmare coming back to you!... to you! to you!...

We lost to Bristol City in the semi in 1988 when teams at the bottom were also included in the playoffs.

We lost to Bristol City in the semi in 1988 when teams at the bottom were also included in the playoffs.

Yup

1988 - Lost to Bristol C in Semi (1-2 & 1-1)
1997 - Lost to Palace in Final (0-1)
1998 - Lost to Sunderland in the semis (2-1 & 0-2)
2003 - Lost to Wolves in the Final (0-3)
2009 - Lost to Burnley in the Final (0-1)

This will be our 6th attempt.

• We have never reached the final where we lost the away leg of the semi.
  • We have never failed to reach the final where we didn`t lose the away leg.
  • We have reached the final on 2 out of 3 occasions when we played at home second.
  • We have never lost a home playoff game.
  • We have never won an away playoff game.

Under the newer system, we've made the final 75% of the time (overall, it drops to 60%). That's something, at least.

So we're the only side to have been in as many finals and never scored. Sorry, never even looked like scoring!

Why do we gain such pleasure from our failures?

Same as if we didn't have any bad luck we would have no luck at all.

Taking pleasure is probably a tad too strong but you have to say that looking for pleasure in our successes is like finding rocking horse shit only tougher.

So we're the only side to have been in as many finals and never scored. Sorry, never even looked like scoring!

We have been pretty grim in the finals, to be fair though, the second half against Wolves was a decent fightback (albeit without scoring). We missed a pen, had one cleared off the line and Matt Murray clawed one away from the top corner. Apart from that, and particularly in the other 2, we never looked like scoring.

I remember the desperate feeling after the final whistle against Burnley. Never again I said. After the Stevenage game I also said that I wasn't going to the play offs again. Guess what i'm off to buy tomorrow? Somehow you just can't help it.

I accept that the Blades are never going to be in the top 10 in the country for any consistent period. I also accept that we will not win a play off final whilst I have a hole in my arse. Perhaps we not even make it pass the might of Stevenage. (Stevenage, really?) I'm still going though. Once again I will sit there at the final whistle feeling like shite and telling all who care to listen, and lots who don't, that i'm done with United and am never going again. I accept that come next season,whatever division, i'll be back at BDTBL, full of renewed optimism and cheer, but knowing in my heart of hearts that all i'm going to get is a fucking great kick in the bollocks. Bring it on Blades.

We have been pretty grim in the finals, to be fair though, the second half against Wolves was a decent fightback (albeit without scoring). We missed a pen, had one cleared off the line and Matt Murray clawed one away from the top corner. Apart from that, and particularly in the other 2, we never looked like scoring.

I thought at the time that the one cleared off the line was initially stopped with the hand. That would have been a penalty and a sending off.

I remember the desperate feeling after the final whistle against Burnley. Never again I said. After the Stevenage game I also said that I wasn't going to the play offs again. Guess what i'm off to buy tomorrow? Somehow you just can't help it.

I accept that the Blades are never going to be in the top 10 in the country for any consistent period. I also accept that we will not win a play off final whilst I have a hole in my arse. Perhaps we not even make it pass the might of Stevenage. (Stevenage, really?) I'm still going though. Once again I will sit there at the final whistle feeling like shite and telling all who care to listen, and lots who don't, that i'm done with United and am never going again. I accept that come next season,whatever division, i'll be back at BDTBL, full of renewed optimism and cheer, but knowing in my heart of hearts that all i'm going to get is a fucking great kick in the bollocks. Bring it on Blades.

Here's a crumb of comfort. Since 3rd tier play offs began in their present form in 1989, the 3rd place team has won them most often. The winners have been

3rd: 8
6th: 6
4th: 5
5th: 4

NB, in 1991 4th-7th contested to the play offs, so for that season, 4th is counted as 3rd, 5th as 4th etc.

Here's a crumb of comfort. Since 3rd tier play offs began in their present form in 1989, the 3rd place team has won them most often. The winners have been

NB, in 1991 4th-7th contested to the play offs, so for that season, 4th is counted as 3rd, 5th as 4th etc.

But only 34% of the time...

Which is better than the 1 in 4 chance some would put it at, but hardly a ringing endorsement....

Darren got stats for the other divisions??? Formats the same either way irrespective of the level we are playing at.

Or a breakdown of how far ahead those 3rdlace teams were. Obviously if the gap between 3rd and 6th is only 3 points here is much more chance of the teams being of similar standard and thus an "upset" happening...

that's the first thing since we have been in the play offs that has made me 1% more optimistic. to be fare we are gonna fuck it up in the final

Lincoln City failed in FIVE consecutive Play-offs between 2003 & 2007 inclusive.

But they have at least scored goals in their three Final defeats.

I did the same for the Championship and L2

Championship
3rd: 9
6th: 3
4th: 6
5th: 5

League 2
3rd: 12
6th: 4
5th: 2

It's interesting that 6th place is a better finish than either 4th or 5th. I wonder why? Perhaps the 6th team often has better form as they have had to push to get the last spot, whereas the 4th and 5th teams may have rested on their laurels. This year is a good example of that.

It's interesting that 6th place is a better finish than either 4th or 5th. I wonder why? Perhaps the 6th team often has better form as they have had to push to get the last spot, whereas the 4th and 5th teams may have rested on their laurels. This year is a good example of that.

Yep, that's the way I see it, and the team who finish 3rd have usually just missed out on auto. It would be interesting to see a form guide of the teams prior to the play-offs rather than their finishing position. I still reckon if we'd pinched a play-off place in 07 we could well have gone up that season such was our form and momentum.

Back
Top Bottom