Pies and hendos

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I hate to put a dampener on this thread but do you know that the family that own your favourite relish are avid porky fans.

Source (no pun intended): Mr Henderson is a relative of a piggy loving ex work colleague of mine

I've had cause to speak to there marketing manager a few times. The man who owns the whole outfit (or at least the trademark) is a very old gentleman currently residing in Liverpool. I forget his name but she referred to him as a Doctor.

I can't get Henderson's in Germany. Not a surprise, I'm sure.

But they also don't have pies.

Nor pork pies.

And they don't put vinegar on their chips.

And they don't have custard.

And, contrary to popular belief, they don't have good beer, (unless you're a lager drinking ponce).

You can forget Yorkshire pudding.

And you won't catch me asking a waiter if the chef could rustle up toad in the hole.

God, what am I doing here?

I can't get Henderson's in Germany. Not a surprise, I'm sure.

But they also don't have pies.

Nor pork pies.

And they don't put vinegar on their chips.

And they don't have custard.

And, contrary to popular belief, they don't have good beer, (unless you're a lager drinking ponce).

You can forget Yorkshire pudding.

And you won't catch me asking a waiter if the chef could rustle up toad in the hole.

God, what am I doing here?
http://www.english-books-hamburg.de/

We had some half decent stuff when in Berlin.

Not admitting to being a lager drinking ponce, Foxy?
There is some half-decent stuff, but after a while that's not enough. Every corner of Germany has its own beer culture but unfortunately Hamburg seems to have the worst of all. I live here but at heart I'm Bavarian, the beer's better, the food's better and the traditions are great - if a little odd at first.

Cheers, may have to call in. I usually stock up when I come home, but I've run out of Branston. :(

It's on Stresemannstrasse, 2nd most stupid road in Hamburg: a dual carriageway in the heart of the city that they've reduced to 18 mph (30k) and stuck speed cameras on it. I try to avoid it, it's against my religion to drive that slowly.

Do they nick cyclists for speeding?
Probably. They recently nicked my mate for drunken riding-on-his-bicycle - threw the book at him, fined, had to go on a course to get his (car) driving licence back, where they told him he was an alcoholic on the basis that he could drink and ride a bike, had to stay totally alcohol free for ages after with periodic checks, etc. Way over the top.

Not admitting to being a lager drinking ponce, Foxy?
There is some half-decent stuff, but after a while that's not enough. Every corner of Germany has its own beer culture but unfortunately Hamburg seems to have the worst of all. I live here but at heart I'm Bavarian, the beer's better, the food's better and the traditions are great - if a little odd at first.

What about Alt beer? From memory, that's more like british beer than Lager

ps On this thread should you not be posting as Hamburger blade? :)

Alt beer is not bad, still a lager though - and only really available in Düsseldorf. I only know one speciality pub in Hamburg where it's on tap.

Should I be posting as Hamburger Blade? Technically yes, but it's hard enough getting people to take me seriously as it is.

Back
Top Bottom