Player Suggestion Out of Contract (2024)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Holgate and BBD are a complete waste of money.
we are paying them a fortune, when no hope of signing them and no hope of staying up
On the face if it is agree, but if we finish one league we place higher, their wages will probably be covered. And to be honest making a game of it actually makes us much happier, and more likely to renew season tickets. BBD has been a joy to watch.

If we finish above Burnley we get more prize money. Last season finishing 19th was worth £4.3m more than finishing 20th.
Each place is worth about £2 million, the players will be here for about 20 weeks ( 5 months ) assume we paying them £20k / week which is v conservative when we know Holgate is on £70k / week and the cost to us is £800k plus position bonus, signing on fee, pension contribution, insurance, taxes etc. so let’s put a conservative £1m on the deal for the two of them.. This means that we would HOPE to make a profit of £1m if we finish above any other team. Not good odds and still in my opinion a waste of valuable funds which could b3 better used next season.

Each place is worth about £2 million, the players will be here for about 20 weeks ( 5 months ) assume we paying them £20k / week which is v conservative when we know Holgate is on £70k / week and the cost to us is £800k plus position bonus, signing on fee, pension contribution, insurance, taxes etc. so let’s put a conservative £1m on the deal for the two of them.. This means that we would HOPE to make a profit of £1m if we finish above any other team. Not good odds and still in my opinion a waste of valuable funds which could b3 better used next season.
Even if we don’t finish above Burnley, it makes sense to strengthen the team to make us more competitive. Getting absolutely pumped every week would be extremely detrimental to the club as a whole. Players such as Blaster will learn so much more playing in a competitive game.

What were the note important positions to fill when we signed Brewster?
I would have said an attacking midfielder, to develop our number of chances for goal creation in that second season (something we did not do enough of in the 1st season) and kick on/develop our style of play. Buendia was rumoured a bit at that time and would have cost less/at most the same, as Brewster.

We didn't do that and stuck to the same formula as the first season and paid the price.

I suppose second to that would have been a/some proper defensive cover, particularly at centre back.

unless holgate accepts a massive wage cut its a definete no no personally dont rate the guy but if he would accept say 15k a week he could be ok in the championship still think theres an outside chance with bbd he seems to be enjoying his football here

I would have said an attacking midfielder, to develop our number of chances for goal creation in that second season (something we did not do enough of in the 1st season) and kick on/develop our style of play. Buendia was rumoured a bit at that time and would have cost less/at most the same, as Brewster.

We didn't do that and stuck to the same formula as the first season and paid the price.

I suppose second to that would have been a/some proper defensive cover, particularly at centre back.
But the formula the season before gave us our best season in more than half a century, despite looking a bit goal shy?

Everyone was crying out for a striker.

What ever happens it will be interesting .No Macteer ,no BBD, no Archer.may be no McBurnie defence wants a overhaul crap goalie no Osborn (may be) Anel could be for sale Holgate goes back no Everton .They all want replacing and we have no cash so interesting indeed .

But the formula the season before gave us our best season in more than half a century, despite looking a bit goal shy?

Everyone was crying out for a striker.
The formula also got us relegated and without a win until January (?). We always needed to adapt it to stay fresh, but we didn't.

I don't think that's quite true re. the clamor for a striker. Look back on the Buendia thread on here and a lot of people were saying the opposite. We weren't missing a lot of chances in 19/20, we just weren't creating enough to win goals by a greater margin. Buendia created a lot, in a poor Norwich side, which is why a lot were calling for him to be signed.

The formula also got us relegated and without a win until January (?). We always needed to adapt it to stay fresh, but we didn't.

I don't think that's quite true re. the clamor for a striker. Look back on the Buendia thread on here and a lot of people were saying the opposite. We weren't missing a lot of chances in 19/20, we just weren't creating enough to win goals by a greater margin.
You surely can’t be serious? I’ve we’d consciously changed that formula after that season, we’d have been a complete joke and the fans would have demanded Wilder got the sack

You are, without doubt, talking in hindsight here.

You surely can’t be serious? I’ve we’d consciously changed that formula after that season, we’d have been a complete joke and the fans would have demanded Wilder got the sack

You are, without doubt, talking in hindsight here.
I am not talking in hindsight, look at the thread I've mentioned from 2020 for proof that many were saying the same thing. Here's what I said at the time.

We did not need to change the formation, just tweak away from the flat 3 in the middle.

Whilst I agree there was a debate about bolstering strike force, and or creativity - everyone wanted a striker. But more the the point I was addressing, you said;

“We didn't do that and stuck to the same formula as the first season and paid the price.”

No fan, or anyone in the football world, was suggesting we should change. We were the darlings of the football world, for the only time in anyone’s lifetime, because of that formula.

Whilst I agree there was a debate about bolstering strike force, and or creativity - everyone wanted a striker. But more the the point I was addressing, you said;

“We didn't do that and stuck to the same formula as the first season and paid the price.”

No fan, or anyone in the football world, was suggesting we should change. We were the darlings of the football world, for the only time in anyone’s lifetime, because of that formula.
Ok, just ignore the linked post that I provided :).

Ok, just ignore the linked post that I provided :).
Is it a thread with the consensus that the system needed changing? Because if it is, it’s the most niche, weird thread that’s ever been posted on here. :)

We finished 9th with the players we signed having made little to no contribution in finishing there. So on that basis it was a bad window. It was our promoted team plus McBurnie and Lundstram. The other 12 barely stated any matches except Mousset and Robinson at the start of the season.

Just because we did well that season doesn't automatically qualify every signing as a good signing. That's a stupid logic.

By that logic Hao Haidong and Geoff Horsefield were great signings as they were in a squad that got promoted, as were Conor Washington, Chris Hussey and James Wilson. They were also part of promotion squads. Does that now make them great signings?
To be fair James Wilson at Norwich made a huge contribution and Washington wasn’t bad for us. Hussey on the other hand…

I get what you’re saying. Just don’t think you can have a terrible window and finish 9th in the Premier League. If we had a better window do you think we could have finished higher? I think we hit our maximum.

Players also not playing doesn’t make them bad signings when your 9th. We signed Jack Robbo for like £250k as a bench player for JoC. At the time you’d say it’s a bad signing as he didn’t play. But he won’t play as what’s infront is better.

I do get your points I just look at it slightly different.

🤝

On the face if it is agree, but if we finish one league we place higher, their wages will probably be covered. And to be honest making a game of it actually makes us much happier, and more likely to renew season tickets. BBD has been a joy to watch.
You cannot just accept defeat like the previous poster. You have to try and win games. Recently it’s much more enjoyable and has given everyone a lift ready for the new season.

You cannot just accept defeat like the previous poster. You have to try and win games. Recently it’s much more enjoyable and has given everyone a lift ready for the new season.
We could easily be 4, maybe even 6 pts better off not. Imagine how that would look.

We shouldn't have drawn either Bournemouth or Fulham and a bit more confidence in the early stages of Chelsea, we could've beaten them too.

Just hanging on against AFCB and FFC, we would now be off the bottom with a real fighting chance given the upcoming fixtures:

Forest 35pts
Luton 25pts
Blades 20pts
Burnley 19pts

Ibrahima Sissoko (26)

Currently plays for Strasbourg in Ligue 1. Defensive midfielder, 6'4, strong, athletic, good tackler.

He's out of contract this summer and his last deal was allegedly around £5.5k to £6k per week.

Sadly, what strikes you about the list is what a large proportion of it comprises of our players!

Anyone not put two and two together about the likes of O Hare?
He’s going to be out of contract yes….but he’s going to be a very attractive squad builder player for a Premier league side.

No way he signs on next season with a champ side.

Think some need to be a little bit more realistic as to our position. Our owner cannot afford to bankroll a club which without surplus transfer funds from sales doesn’t generate sufficient revenue to pay for itself.
Therefore wages offered will be back to where they were prior to our first promotion with Wilder, and our budget being in the bottom half.
Anyone thinking we will be the big boys with our parachute money clearly weren’t paying enough attention.
Always amazes me how naive some of our fans are. Let McBurnie go and sign Chris wood for example! We'll be lucky to keep McBurnie, let alone sign Chris Wood. Why would Chris Wood leave as their top scorer and join a relegated PL team?! I imagine Forest will go all they can tho keep him. Same with O'Hare. Hell be looking to sign for one of the promoted teams. McNair from Boro is a much more realistic signing.

Always amazes me how naive some of our fans are. Let McBurnie go and sign Chris wood for example! We'll be lucky to keep McBurnie, let alone sign Chris Wood. Why would Chris Wood leave as their top scorer and join a relegated PL team?! I imagine Forest will go all they can tho keep him. Same with O'Hare. Hell be looking to sign for one of the promoted teams. McNair from Boro is a much more realistic signing.
Agree, plus Wood is rumoured to be on £100k pw

Ibrahima Sissoko (26)

Currently plays for Strasbourg in Ligue 1. Defensive midfielder, 6'4, strong, athletic, good tackler.

He's out of contract this summer and his last deal was allegedly around £5.5k to £6k per week.
I think he'll probably get a top division move but it's a good suggestion

He's a big unit and can shift with the ball. Far more progressive than Souza

We have most of the midfield in place but I would like a big athletic type there as well

I also think we should sign Joe Rothwell to guarantee a certain overall quality level in that area, especially on the left side. OBrien would also be very welcome and is probably a likely target

I think he'll probably get a top division move but it's a good suggestion

He's a big unit and can shift with the ball. Far more progressive than Souza

We have most of the midfield in place but I would like a big athletic type there as well

I also think we should sign Joe Rothwell to guarantee a certain overall quality level in that area, especially on the left side. OBrien would also be very welcome and is probably a likely target
Sam Field and Chris Willock would be decent on frees but can't see their contract situations?

Alan Browne is a good replacement for Norwood with goals.

Sam Field and Chris Willock would be decent on frees but can't see their contract situations?

Alan Browne is a good replacement for Norwood with goals.
Field has signed a new deal

So he can now stay at QPR for another season at least and carry on making 18 passes a game

Willock is off the boil

Browne seems like a very bladey signing and seems to be available every summer. But we need to aim higher in midfield

Back
Top Bottom