Old Programmes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

DiamondShirt

Reaction score
I am helping a relative have a bit of a clear out. They have a number of old programmes from the 90s that they are looking to get rid off. Dont know if there is much demand for old programmes or if anyone know of the best place to sell them.

As a general rule, there's no value in any of United programmes from the 90s.

They won't sell on ebay in single or bulk form (because of the weight)

Might fetch a tenner if you're lucky at Auction depending on number (for example 400) but by the time you've got them there and had to pay your seller's commission it's simply not worthwhile,

I've been asked the question many times, and my preferred answer would be if possible give them to a Blade who might like them

The other alternative is to take them to your local charity shop.

We've been the repository of many a jettisoned collection.

The only really valuable ones are the 1920s FA Cup programmes.

Foxy has managed to sell a few spares for face value on eBay but it depends how highly you value your time!

As a general rule, there's no value in any of United programmes from the 90s.

They won't sell on ebay in single or bulk form (because of the weight)

Might fetch a tenner if you're lucky at Auction depending on number (for example 400) but by the time you've got them there and had to pay your seller's commission it's simply not worthwhile,

I've been asked the question many times, and my preferred answer would be if possible give them to a Blade who might like them

The other alternative is to take them to your local charity shop.
In preparing material for the 60 Years Ago thread, I have been reminded of 3 unusual programmes, resulting from the Big Freeze and all the match postponements: the single sheet programme from the home West Ham game, the single sheet from the friendly v Stanley Matthew’s’ Stoke, and the multiple-times postponed Bolton cup-tie with its many overprints on the cover, including a rare touch of humour. Do any of these have monetary value, or are they just curiosities? I am not looking to sell them, but I would like to make sure I look after them well if they are valuable (son, daughter, grandkids may be reading this with interest!) Ta.

In preparing material for the 60 Years Ago thread, I have been reminded of 3 unusual programmes, resulting from the Big Freeze and all the match postponements: the single sheet programme from the home West Ham game, the single sheet from the friendly v Stanley Matthew’s’ Stoke, and the multiple-times postponed Bolton cup-tie with its many overprints on the cover, including a rare touch of humour. Do any of these have monetary value, or are they just curiosities? I am not looking to sell them, but I would like to make sure I look after them well if they are valuable (son, daughter, grandkids may be reading this with interest!) Ta.
The West Ham single sheet is the pick of the three. Its value isn’t quite what it used to be, probably between £30 and £50. The Stoke friendly less than a tenner and the Bolton programme a quid. Though its cover has novelty value it is no more rare than other programmes in that season…. Sorry HBT! You’re not quite sitting on a gold mine!

The West Ham single sheet is the pick of the three. Its value isn’t quite what it used to be, probably between £30 and £50. The Stoke friendly less than a tenner and the Bolton programme a quid. Though its cover has novelty value it is no more rare than other programmes in that season…. Sorry HBT! You’re not quite sitting on a gold mine!
Thanks for the answer. I am not looking to sell, but at least I have put a note with the West Ham programme for my lucky heirs! Presumably Utd couldn’t risk producing a programme in view of the weather, and got a secretary to type a sheet out, and run it off on a Roneo (is that what the machine was called? Each copy produced by a turn of the handle) Did they charge for it? No price is mentioned on the sheet.

Thanks for the answer. I am not looking to sell, but at least I have put a note with the West Ham programme for my lucky heirs! Presumably Utd couldn’t risk producing a programme in view of the weather, and got a secretary to type a sheet out, and run it off on a Roneo (is that what the machine was called? Each copy produced by a turn of the handle) Did they charge for it? No price is mentioned on the sheet.
I’ve absolutely no idea HBT. It’s not particularly uncommon but obviously far more than the usual match day programme, probably due to its flimsy nature. If we are looking at single sheet United programmes then the 1947 Wolves in the FA cup one is the gold mine you’re looking for. United covered the pitch with straw and didn’t expect the game to go ahead so didn’t print a programme. It did so (I’ve been told) United printed enough copies for the directors box and other important attendees… find one of these and you’re looking in the region of …. £3000!!
Note; if anyone has one, message me!!

I’ve absolutely no idea HBT. It’s not particularly uncommon but obviously far more than the usual match day programme, probably due to its flimsy nature. If we are looking at single sheet United programmes then the 1947 Wolves in the FA cup one is the gold mine you’re looking for. United covered the pitch with straw and didn’t expect the game to go ahead so didn’t print a programme. It did so (I’ve been told) United printed enough copies for the directors box and other important attendees… find one of these and you’re looking in the region of …. £3000!!
I didn’t know that story. I can say with full confidence that I don’t have a copy of it…

We've been the repository of many a jettisoned collection.

The only really valuable ones are the 1920s FA Cup programmes.

Foxy has managed to sell a few spares for face value on eBay but it depends how highly you value your time!
Morning, sounds like I’m asking you to be some kind of dating match maker, but I’m likely to be shedding some 60s 70s 80s and 90s programmes, a mix of home and away. Probably around 200 - 300 but I’ve never counted em

It’d be good if they went to a good Blade home, rather than a profiteer. Do you know of anyone who would be interested or the best way to find a genuine home please?

Of course if you and Foxy are interested to sell em to help fund this site then first dibs is yours

As I’m hopefully moving back to Sheffield soon, pick up would be in Nether Edge.

They are v good condition and boxed from a smoke free environ. Though a minority may be in ‘match worn’ status (chocolate, fudge and cola stains for the early ones, pie, Bovril and ale stains for the later ones!)

sufc v wolves_20230224_0001.png
Trust this is of interest. If anybody has got the complete programme for SUFC v Liverpool 26 August 1939 & want to do a deal then please communicate.

As per usual, Spongebob is more or less spot on with his values and advice

Wolves 47 FA Cup. Post war. its the daddy. The rarest of the rare, I can't remember where I got mine from (see image above) 🤣 🤣 🤣

One came up at auction about 15 years ago, the problem here is that there a number of wealthy Wolves collectors who are also very keen to acquire. Dennis Clareborough went to the auction and thought that 2,500 plus commission might get it, but when he saw some of the interested parties who were there he realised that wouldn't be the case. Wouldn't like to say what its value would be now but I suspect it would be up towards £5000. Could you justify it for a small piece of paper?

View attachment 154596
Trust this is of interest. If anybody has got the complete programme for SUFC v Liverpool 26 August 1939 & want to do a deal then please communicate.
Is that a genuine copy of the single sheet programme peniblade? Do you own it? ….. as I have the Liverpool at home 26/8/39 programme 😉

Boy that brings back some memories. Utd team rolls off the tongue even now. That defence played almost unchanged for many games. Interesting to see their team as well. Stan Culliss centre half.? Bert Williams in goal ( wasn,t he in goal when Hungary thrashed Eng at Wembley in 53).? Billy Wright at left-half, and Jesse Pye up front. Did they win the Cup that year - beat Leicester in the Final ?

Boy that brings back some memories. Utd team rolls off the tongue even now. That defence played almost unchanged for many games. Interesting to see their team as well. Stan Culliss centre half.? Bert Williams in goal ( wasn,t he in goal when Hungary thrashed Eng at Wembley in 53).? Billy Wright at left-half, and Jesse Pye up front. Did they win the Cup that year - beat Leicester in the Final ?
Charlton won the cup in 1947, Wolves won in 1949 (my dad went to the 1949 final)

Got a bag of programs that will be going to charity shop if nobody wants them from here first? Earliest ones from 50’s up to 00’s. Nothing of any great value I’d imagine but still, be a shame to waste.

View attachment 154596
Trust this is of interest. If anybody has got the complete programme for SUFC v Liverpool 26 August 1939 & want to do a deal then please communicate
Is'nt the KO time for the Stoke reserve game wrong.
My recollection of pre floodlights is for games starting at 2:30 pm or 2:45pm, dependant on sunset times as the football season progressed.
A 3pm KO time for 1st Feb would have mean the last ten to fifteen minuets would be played in total darkness.:confused:
Does this throw any light on the validity of this programme?

Got a bag of programs that will be going to charity shop if nobody wants them from here first? Earliest ones from 50’s up to 00’s. Nothing of any great value I’d imagine but still, be a shame to waste.
Most from fiftys should get you a fiver each , so you do the maths

Found an old box of programs 70’s and 80’s plus what looks like unused season tickets and a sew on badge. River Plate program is a game I was at. Is there any value in these?
View attachment 162887View attachment 162888View attachment 162889View attachment 162890View attachment 162891View attachment 162892View attachment 162893
Although I’ve not seen the patch before I doubt it’s worth anything. Same goes for the programmes sadly. The season ticket books are worth a token amount. £10 for the pair? If you wanted to part with them I’d be happy to add them to my collection

Although I’ve not seen the patch before I doubt it’s worth anything. Same goes for the programmes sadly. The season ticket books are worth a token amount. £10 for the pair? If you wanted to part with them I’d be happy to add them to my collection
Yeh, guessed so. It comes across wrong when I say are they with anything. Wouldn’t sell, just pack em away for my grandson to find one day then it’s his choice.

Back
Top Bottom