Cricket at the lane...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score

Just stumbled upon the above on twatter and thought I would jog a few of the veteran memories on here, seeing as though I am too young to have witnessed any cricket at BDTBL.

My youngest memories or only memories really being the remnants of the old ground. I can remember being a ball boy and standing on the old outer steps of what would have been the former terraces.

Other than that, I dont really have much than photographs.

What was the capacity of the lane pre south stand?
We had our record attendance of 65k pre-south stand and pre BL stand too. Basically the Lane was a cricket oval with seats on the John St side and a pavillion on the Cherry St side. The kop terracing had a roof, but that was it. I think temporary stands might have been erected for some games where the new South Stand is today, but for most games it was the same setup for spectators for both football and cricket.

57,000. Although when we played Wednesday in the 1960 quarter final we built a temporary stand on the cricket pitch which increased the capacity to 60,000 for that match.
Well we got 68,287 attendance v Leeds FAC5 in February 1936. Always classed as our record attendance.
We won 3-1. and your namesake Mr Jock Dodds scored one of them,!

Well we got 68,287 attendance v Leeds FAC5 in February 1936. Always classed as our record attendance.
We won 3-1. and your namesake Mr Jock Dodds scored one of them,!
Yes, that was the record attendance, but in those days there wasn't a set capacity, they just let people in until it was full!

Just stumbled upon the above on twatter and thought I would jog a few of the veteran memories on here, seeing as though I am too young to have witnessed any cricket at BDTBL.

My youngest memories or only memories really being the remnants of the old ground. I can remember being a ball boy and standing on the old outer steps of what would have been the former terraces.

Other than that, I dont really have much than photographs.

The wicket was really hard that year 🙂 UTB

We should have definitely kept the pavillion. Wasn't in use for some time after the South Stand opened? Supporters' club bar? I remember it sat there a few years looking in a bad way before finally being demolished.

We should have definitely kept the pavillion. Wasn't in use for some time after the South Stand opened? Supporters' club bar? I remember it sat there a few years looking in a bad way before finally being demolished.
Demolished in 1981

Reactions: Dkc
There was a social club in the cricket stand run by Mary and Norman….There were rooms upstairs too where social occasions and discos…..yep discos, were held.The players also had their lunch upstairs because I think there was a kitchen up there too,

Reactions: Dkc
Fond memories of the Old Cricket Pavilion. Saw the Blades beat Arsenal 1-0 in, or around 1950, from the Upper tier seats. Think it was an FA Cup match, Len Browning (C.F.) scoring with a header at the Kop end. 51,000+ in attendance.
Also, in 1950, watched Yorkshire play the great West Indies side including The 3 W's- Worrall, Weekes and Walcott , plus one of the Calypso spinners Alf Valentine- don't think Sonny Ramadhin played. The great Len Hutton was 98 not out at the end of the first day (Saturday) and completed his 100 on the following Monday (No play Sunday's in those days).
Watched from the Kop- sitting on the concrete steps (for 7 hours) and couldn't afford a cushion-still have the bruises.
There was quite a strong movement to get the Pavilion a listed building . It would have been about where the car park is. My Blades South Stand seat was about where Fred would start his run up.

My first visit to BDTBL was in 74/75 as a pre-teen, to a county cup match against the Millers, just the JS was open but the SS was fully completed and all lit up, brand spanking new, it looked like something from Star Trek, I remember being quite overwhelmed.

My much older brother was, and still is a Man U fan and he’d taken me to Old Trafford a few times in the Stretford seats. The SS was way better than anything they had at the time, surprising what 50 years can do.

Demolished in 1981
Was there some of it remaining, or something in its place for a while after? It may be my memory playing tricks but I'm sure I remember a building standing at the back of the car park when I was a kid. I wasn't born in 1981.

57,000. Although when we played Wednesday in the 1960 quarter final we built a temporary stand on the cricket pitch which increased the capacity to 60,000 for that match.
yeah battered em they had 2 shots in 90 minutes won 0 - 2 🫣⚔️

Was there some of it remaining, or something in its place for a while after? It may be my memory playing tricks but I'm sure I remember a building standing at the back of the car park when I was a kid. I wasn't born in 1981.
There was the small indoor gym at the top of the carpark,indoor nets for the cricket and 5 aside pitch with a balcony

Back
Top Bottom