Cricket at the lane...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

New stand going up
Looks like it had more seats than most cricket pavillions of the time. I can't remember all those exterior seats being there after the South Stand was built, pre-demolition

I remember many a night in the social club in the downstairs bier kellar with the juke box in the alchove at the back. Made lots of friends there, amongst them Shred. Some good old fashioned noisy fun.

Yes, Dkc ,there was an upper deck and a lower deck. The lower deck protruded about 10 yards beyond the upper. The lower deck seats were removed long before the upper. The problem was , although a brilliant view for cricket, the nearer touch line was about another 30 yards away.

Looks like it had more seats than most cricket pavillions of the time. I can't remember all those exterior seats being there after the South Stand was built, pre-demolition

Yes, Dkc ,there was an upper deck and a lower deck. The lower deck protruded about 10 yards beyond the upper. The lower deck seats were removed long before the upper. The problem was , although a brilliant view for cricket, the nearer touch line was about another 30 yards away.
A mate of mine has one of the original seats from the cricket pavilion in his garden (he's painted it green). You can see the "SU" monogram on the ironwork support. 1711647883886.png

Remember going to watch Yorkshire play the Aussies in 1961 in the days when the touring team always played some of the counties. Yorkshire had a really strong team in those days with players like Trueman, Sharpe, Padgett, Wilson, Binks, Nicholson, Illingworth I think. Also I think the following year played West Indies with the 3 Ws, plus Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith the famous fast bowlers who were probably the start of the long line they produced.

I remember the club flogging off bits of the cricket pitch in square foot sections.
We lived in Dronfield/Coal Aston at the time and I remember my dad bringing home a chunk of the hallowed turf wrapped up in newspaper. This was weird on two counts. Firstly, he had no real interest in football or cricket (but he did say it was a piece of history). Secondly, we didn't have a car, so he brought the turf all the way home, in his work suit, on a Booth and Fisher bus!!! 🤣

I remember many a night in the social club in the downstairs bier kellar with the juke box in the alchove at the back. Made lots of friends there, amongst them Shred. Some good old fashioned noisy fun.
Loved it down in that bier kellar. Great before a pre-match drink - it was either here or the Matilda Tavern.

Reactions: Dkc
Good article about Cricket at the Lane. Always thought the Kop was the 'Grinders Stand' but it seems that the GS was on the west side of the ground or the west terrace as it were (Bramall Lane stand). I think the Lane as a Cricket ground could be described as being a gritty and down to earth character who didn't suffer fools, but was honest and welcoming. Generally, like people from Sheffield really. The ground reflected the mannerisms of the towns folk.

The Green bench , from the old cricket pavilion, looks to be very smooth. This was not the case , in the rest of the ground. I graduated from the Kop steps to what is now Bramall Lane end and you needed a pair of tweezers to remove the myriad of spells after a days play.
Yes, the turf from the old wickets was sold in one square yard pieces. I bought one and inserted into the middle of my lawn. Geoff Boycott bought a whole 22 yards.

TC 317- that photo must have been the match when Yorks hammered the Aussies by an innings and 69 runs. I was there too. I think Fred captained the side and always said it was one of the proudest moments of his career. He took 7 wickets in the match and Geoff weighed in with a good 80 odd

TC 317- that photo must have been the match when Yorks hammered the Aussies by an innings and 69 runs. I was there too. I think Fred captained the side and always said it was one of the proudest moments of his career. He took 7 wickets in the match and Geoff weighed in with a good 80 odd
Bet they were both too modest to bring g it up in conversation.

Fond memories of the Old Cricket Pavilion. Saw the Blades beat Arsenal 1-0 in, or around 1950, from the Upper tier seats. Think it was an FA Cup match, Len Browning (C.F.) scoring with a header at the Kop end. 51,000+ in attendance.
Also, in 1950, watched Yorkshire play the great West Indies side including The 3 W's- Worrall, Weekes and Walcott , plus one of the Calypso spinners Alf Valentine- don't think Sonny Ramadhin played. The great Len Hutton was 98 not out at the end of the first day (Saturday) and completed his 100 on the following Monday (No play Sunday's in those days).
Watched from the Kop- sitting on the concrete steps (for 7 hours) and couldn't afford a cushion-still have the bruises.
There was quite a strong movement to get the Pavilion a listed building . It would have been about where the car park is. My Blades South Stand seat was about where Fred would start his run up.
Great post mate, I too watched the great Windies team play Yorks, was it 52 0r 53 ? Also that Arsenal game ( August 1953 ) got wet thru ,it was pissing it down as I recall. Not a Cup match though- League Fixture. Monday night match.

Thanks mate- The West Indies game was in 1950 itself. Wasn't sure when the Arsenal game was and couldn't remember the rain. Maybe, I was in the back few rows which were under a roof. Certainly remember the match though.
Yes, Rochdale blade I have spoken to Fred Trueman and Geoff Boycott but a few years after that match. However, I suspect you were being a little bit sarcastic there.

Good article about Cricket at the Lane. Always thought the Kop was the 'Grinders Stand' but it seems that the GS was on the west side of the ground or the west terrace as it were (Bramall Lane stand). I think the Lane as a Cricket ground could be described as being a gritty and down to earth character who didn't suffer fools, but was honest and welcoming. Generally, like people from Sheffield really. The ground reflected the mannerisms of the towns folk.

Mention of the encroaching industry reminds me that I once heard a story that when got out that Yorkshire were losing, the furnaces were stoked up to increase the haze over the ground to hold up play or to favour Yorkshire when they were bowling 😁

Its well written, I grant you, but I don't recognise some of the attributes the writer gives to the crowd at BL. The crowd was always recognised as one of the most knowledgable in the Cricketing world. Certainly dont accept the characterisation of " Vulgarity "

A mate of mine has one of the original seats from the cricket pavilion in his garden (he's painted it green). You can see the "SU" monogram on the ironwork support. View attachment 181287

I remember in August 1969 we went to see Yorkshire play against Lancs.(?) and a guy asked us to come back the next day to help move all those cast iron seats into storage so the ground could be made ready for the Blades v. Midllesborough match. They were bloody heavy.

While we there word was going around that Arthur Rowley had been sacked.

Back
Top Bottom