Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bert who do you think was the better player, Jimmy Greaves or Dennis Law. my late dad always told me Dennis Law was deadly in the penalty area so he favoured Dennis Law. I think Jimmy Greaves was better.
The highest goalscorer in the top division is Greaves. Nobody will ever get near his record.
He sits at the head of the table looking down on all the others and he always will do.

Instantly transports me back to my childhood.A place I passed regularly.
I bet I'm not the only poor young naive bugger that got stood up waiting for a lass at the kiosk there.🙄😊
Any idea where I could find a print of it?
🤔🙏
It happend to Bert, just the once at the fish tank. 😁

The highest goalscorer in the top division is Greaves. Nobody will ever get near his record.
He sits at the head of the table looking down on all the others and he always will do.
It would have been his birthday today

Instantly transports me back to my childhood.A place I passed regularly.
I bet I'm not the only poor young naive bugger that got stood up waiting for a lass at the kiosk there.🙄😊
Any idea where I could find a print of it?
🤔🙏
Agree

Great days

I can actually see my bus into town - the one just in view on the far left . It’s the 221 from Aston 😂

Testing mi memory here.
LtoR BR ?, Sharp, Binks, Appleyard, Hutton, Hampshire, Padgett, Sir Geoffrey.
FR, Illingworth, Close, Fred, ?.
Don Wilson not Bob Appleyard. Ken Taylor front right. Not sure who is top far left. And it is Sharpe not Sharp

That was the FA Cup. I was working down south and went to the replay of that game, which we lost 1-0. I only remember

a) We were dreadful
b) It was foggy and miserable
c) You could change ends at half time in front of the main stand. There were sliding gates to stop people crossing the tunnel as the players were on their way in our out. You don’t get that at Wembley.

When people complain about how we’re suffering at the moment, it’s comparative bliss at the moment and after that 1978/79 season, it was about to get a whole lot worse….
I went to the first game, a 0-0 draw at the Lane

a) we were dreadful
b) it was wet miserable and cold
c) I was living in Farnley (Leeds) at the time and I'd persuaded a mate that lived in Beeston (Leeds) to give us a lift.

On the way home, no sooner had his car broken down on Penistone Road, by the traffic lights at Salt Box Lane, than it started snowing. Fortunately my mate was in the AA who turned up about an hour later by which time there was a good covering of snow on the ground. It didn't take the AA man very long to ascertain that the car was going nowhere that evening but as my mate had relay, they would get him home.

The first AA man then rowed us to Junction 36 and abandoned us on the bridge over the motorway promising that a low loader would turn up to complete the journey, and true to his word, an hour or so later, one did. By now the covering of snow had grown to a depth of 2 or 3 inches and it was continuing to fall in giant flakes.

Unfortunately the AA relay membership only entitled my mate to get his car and all his passengers dropped off at his house in Beeston, which he did at about 1.00am, and my brother in law and myself then had to walk the four mile back to Farnley in a blizzard. By the time we arrived home two hours later there was more than 6 inches of snow on the ground.

Please don't talk to me about miserable times watching the Blades because after that season it was about to get a whole lot worse.

Oh, and by the way, we lost the replay 🤣

Last edited:
Can remember the ropes behind one goal, not sure why they were there. Awful night after a good day out.

Don Wilson not Bob Appleyard. Ken Taylor front right. Not sure who is top far left. And it is Sharpe not Sharp
As a kid at school I was always adding 'e's' on the end of words when not necessary, seem it's the reverse in old age.
In truth, I was putting names, I could recall, to the faces I'd forgotten.
Knew 8, Padgett I needed to work out. Taylor I couldn't.
Well done on John Waring by the way, he has a colts sweater on, seems he may never have won a full cap.

Back
Top Bottom