Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Need to do a bit more research. What sort of date would you think?

Players or not, it is a nice shot of the criss-cross glass panes at the top of the old top of the JST.

UTB
Started my Bramall Lane journey in that part of the JSS, reserve games 1947, aged 5.
I well remember the all glass end as it fascinated me at that age, biggest window I'd ever seen.

Yes, v Aldershot
That was the FA Cup. I was working down south and went to the replay of that game, which we lost 1-0. I only remember

a) We were dreadful
b) It was foggy and miserable
c) You could change ends at half time in front of the main stand. There were sliding gates to stop people crossing the tunnel as the players were on their way in our out. You don’t get that at Wembley.

When people complain about how we’re suffering at the moment, it’s comparative bliss at the moment and after that 1978/79 season, it was about to get a whole lot worse….

Yes, Silent I saw "The Duke of Darnall" on a regular basis. Being born before the 2nd World War, in Darnall, I can vouch for what the above article says. He was always immaculately dressed and was well respected. As a kid I do remember he often wore white spats a la Charlie Chaplin but didn't mimic Charlie's walking cane twirl.
Didn't he live with Big Ada?

Started my Bramall Lane journey in that part of the JSS, reserve games 1947, aged 5.
I well remember the all glass end as it fascinated me at that age, biggest window I'd ever seen.
Crazy to think it was all glass...the Health & Safety police would have a field day.

I was slightly thrown by the orientation of this photo. So the terrace visible at the end of JSS is the Bramall Lane end, right?

Glad it bought back some memories. Just wish I knew who the players were. Or maybe they were cricketers!

UTB

We wore these shirts and badge for both 77-78 and 78-79 seasons
Ah, yes, me exercising one of my worst attributes. Assumption.
Assuming the badge change was closed season when it could be mid season as it seems to have been on this occasion. Doh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regarding the badge positional change.
Mrs.XH when we meet was a machinist(sowing) at a rather higher ladies clothing manufacturers, of which I attended the odd social function. They were as a group, great, but with a tendency to be as mad as a box of frogs. With this in mind recon the person assigned badges on shirts, nipped to the lavvie for a quick ciggy and proceeded to sow badges in the traditional position, instead of. Whey, it's a thought.

Well remembered, Silent. You are correct in that Russian Edna was rumoured to live with The Duke of Darnall. I had forgotten about her. Saw her once or twice but have no memory of her background etc.

Think the bloke on the far right is about to say "wot no goyals"!
Magic our Maurice, a reference to the long gone cartoon character, CHAD.
Took me a while for the penny to drop.
Seems it originated US Army, WW2, "Kilroy was here" under the, nose over wall character, daubed from 'Utah & Omaha' to Berlin.
As a kid I knew it as Chad, with the 'Wot no' phrase referencing rationing of almost all commodities, or 'owt else could be added, as your 'goyals', to fit all occasions.

Well remembered, Silent. You are correct in that Russian Edna was rumoured to live with The Duke of Darnall. I had forgotten about her. Saw her once or twice but have no memory of her background etc.
She was a Russian who fell in love with a British pilot and she moved to England to live with the pilot. I think he died a few years later and she then became a prostitute. She got murdered by a lorry driver at High Hazels Park in 1954

She was a Russian who fell in love with a British pilot and she moved to England to live with the pilot. I think he died a few years later and she then became a prostitute. She got murdered by a lorry driver at High Hazels Park in 1954

Blimey, Silent, I didn't see that, er, not very happy ending coming!

Didn't he live with Big Ada?

As subsequent posts rightly point out , the Duke lived with Russian Edna rather than her .

However , their was such a person as Big Ada and I remember seeing her and that she was a very large and formidable character , but struggle to remember the context .

I’m thinking it was in the old market but would welcome any further info that anyone might have .

As subsequent posts rightly point out , the Duke lived with Russian Edna rather than her .

However , their was such a person as Big Ada and I remember seeing her and that she was a very large and formidable character , but struggle to remember the context .

I’m thinking it was in the old market but would welcome any further info that anyone might have .
Yes, big Ada had a stall at Dixon Lane. My mumsaidAda was very loud and scary. She fought like a man according to some historians

And Ian Benjamin.

Harry Haslam was an idiot.

Never rated Benjamin and I don't think he went on to do much.

I expected Stainrod to prove to be the best of the bunch but I'd guess (without checking) tgat Varadi got more top flight games.

Edwards probably got the most goals, but apart from his early games with us, most of those would have been in the Third and Fourth Divisions.

Always get these mixed up along with Pond St Nora.

Back
Top Bottom