Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It now begs the question SB, who was the first full back to score from open play at Wembley?
I'll take the liberty of answering my own question, if that's OK and suggest it was 1982 Wembley cup final Spurs v QPR, Terry Fenwick, QPR right back, header from. Simon Stainrod long throw.

When Alan Whittle thought he had just become a Blade player. Summer 1976

View attachment 95408
As your post photo, he just faded away.
Looking at the photo the squad look a right set of likely lads ready to take on the world, and what a great strip. What a pity they were either past their best, never quite reached their potential or plain crap and Managed by Jimmy Sirrel.

As your post photo, he just faded away.
Looking at the photo the squad look a right set of likely lads ready to take on the world, and what a great strip. What a pity they were either past their best, never quite reached their potential or plain crap and Managed by Jimmy Sirrel.

Look at Eddie and Woody. Probably thinking why are we surrounded by this crap after the quality we had here a couple of years ago.

When I recall my childhood the memories are in b/w. Do younger people see theirs in colour?
What a philosophical thought.
Would it depend on whether one was born before or after colour television?

Chesterfield Road, April 1987.
Around the junction with Little London and Meersbrook Park roads.

View attachment 95541

View attachment 95542

View attachment 95543
Excellent, as per although bit dodgy leaving the sauna in, might get a reputation on here. When in doubt, Crop.
Love the horse trough housing one. Bet you remember well the trough. I can remember it over the years but mainly passing on the tram.
When Lavers opened the DIY, shown on your photo, probably early, mid 70,s, I'm sure it was still there as I use Lavers on quite a regular basis around that time. Wonder what became of the trough?

Excellent, as per although bit dodgy leaving the sauna in, might get a reputation on here. When in doubt, Crop.
Love the horse trough housing one. Bet you remember well the trough. I can remember it over the years but mainly passing on the tram.
When Lavers opened the DIY, shown on your photo, probably early, mid 70,s, I'm sure it was still there as I use Lavers on quite a regular basis around that time. Wonder what became of the trough?
I deliberately left the sauna in for some of the other regulars on here to reminisce, XM657 ;).
And yes, I do remember the actual trough, although by then it was usually filled with rubbish and leaves.
I too used to visit Laver's often around that time.
The thing that stuck in my mind most though was the odd police station/office opposite which looked as though they'd just commandeered one of a pair of semis which had themselves been built on, presumably, a bomb site.
I also recall from a few years earlier, Gresham's woodyard and Heeley sidings a little further up.
I've got a photo of Gresham's somewhere.

I noticed you didn't mention the whereabouts of the trough, so presume it's decorating your garden and I'm alright with that. ;) Better than some high ranking council official having it in theirs.:mad: Bet it tested the springs on the Tele-Com van.:D

405 lines, none of this highfalutin 625 lines 🙂
I lived in Coal Aston as a kid. The 60's were in black and white. I think everywhere was in black and white until about 1973 (when we got a colour telly), despite all the rubbish you see on these programmes about the "swinging 60's ". The colour reception wasn't great where we lived. I remember watching MOTD when Luton were on. The tech couldn't cope with their orange shirts, which moved about 5 feet behind the players. Similar story with the Netherlands at the 1974 World Cup! Also, local programmes, like Look North, were in black and white for ages after this. In a weird parallel, Look North isn't made in HD, so if you're on BBC1 HD you have to change to the modern version of 405 lines to watch it. Typical southern bias! Apologies for the rambling, been helping the Sheffield Tap drain their cask barrels before they shut for God knows how long terneet!!

I lived in Coal Aston as a kid. The 60's were in black and white. I think everywhere was in black and white until about 1973 (when we got a colour telly), despite all the rubbish you see on these programmes about the "swinging 60's ". The colour reception wasn't great where we lived. I remember watching MOTD when Luton were on. The tech couldn't cope with their orange shirts, which moved about 5 feet behind the players. Similar story with the Netherlands at the 1974 World Cup! Also, local programmes, like Look North, were in black and white for ages after this. In a weird parallel, Look North isn't made in HD, so if you're on BBC1 HD you have to change to the modern version of 405 lines to watch it. Typical southern bias! Apologies for the rambling, been helping the Sheffield Tap drain their cask barrels before they shut for God knows how long terneet!!
YTV's match on Sunday used to have the second half in black and white because the light was poor.

YTV's match on Sunday used to have the second half in black and white because the light was poor.
Was it Man City and/or Hudersfield had a harlequin squares away kit that sent the ITV picture quality divvy

Back
Top Bottom