Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Here's a nice old photo, for no reason whatsoever...

1597825354592.png

Apart from the fact he was one of the best wingers and great entertainers during the time I've been watching the Blades. It's a pity he never got to ply his trade at the highest level, because he was a very talented player and he'd definitely have cut it imo. I used to love watching him turn players inside out, he could make them dizzy and have them fall on their arses wondering which way he'd gone! His partnership with Keith Edwards was like they had some sort of sixth-sense going on between them.

I note it is his 67th birthday this week. on Saturday. So happy birthday Colin and thanks for all the wonderful memories!

Is my memory correct? I seem to remember watching Colin Morris playing for Plymouth in a night game at the Lane, it was a frosty night and he was wearing hockey boots. He was ace.

We then signed him.

Maybe?

Is my memory correct? I seem to remember watching Colin Morris playing for Plymouth in a night game at the Lane, it was a frosty night and he was wearing hockey boots. He was ace.

We then signed him.

Maybe?
Maybe not. He never played for Plymouth.

We then signed him.

Maybe?
You thinking of Exeter & Steve Neville?

Edit.
It would appear that Colin joined us in July 1981, even my rudimentary memory rules out frost and a football match.

Please may I call a senior moment?

Though I.. can recall someone playing a wonder game against us and wearing hockey boots on a frosty pitch.....at night....and then we later signed them.

Did Colin Morris play for Blackpool when we licked em in a night game at Blackpool? I think we won 3-2.
In the second half, the fog was getting thicker. around 1979-80 I think. Silent Blade and Bert will know.

Did Colin Morris play for Blackpool when we licked em in a night game at Blackpool? I think we won 3-2.
In the second half, the fog was getting thicker. around 1979-80 I think. Silent Blade and Bert will know.
No, I was playing football in Friendlies League then, started going regularly again in 1988

Here's a nice old photo, for no reason whatsoever...

View attachment 88982

Apart from the fact he was one of the best wingers and great entertainers during the time I've been watching the Blades. It's a pity he never got to ply his trade at the highest level, because he was a very talented player and he'd definitely have cut it imo. I used to love watching him turn players inside out, he could make them dizzy and have them fall on their arses wondering which way he'd gone! His partnership with Keith Edwards was like they had some sort of sixth-sense going on between them.

I note it is his 67th birthday this week. on Saturday. So happy birthday Colin and thanks for all the wonderful memories!

One of my all time favs in a Blade shirt & trained us on a Weds night as a young lad 👍

In my earlier reference to " t'Hardy Pick" a fair few posts back now, I mentioned the gennel which linked Little London Road with Broadfield Road opposite Heeley Baths.
Many who learned to swim there will remember the red wooden bridge over the river that led to the gennel which then bisected Tyzack's.
Here are a few photos from Feb 1982 taken after the original route was closed and fenced off but with the factory still in operation.
As a side note, one of my Infant and junior school pals lived in one of 3 old terraced cottages which stood just left of the lamp post about where the red oil drum is on the first pic below and which were surrounded by the factory, the river and the high stone wall of the gennel which is itself shown on the left hand side of the gable-ended building.

02 83 Site of Primrose Cottages and gennel.jpg

02 83 footbridge to Gennel.jpg

02 1983 R Sheaf.jpg
My memory of going to his cottage includes helping him to carry the full tin bath outside (once you got a sway on you were knackered), the tiny rooms, the low ceilings, the wall mounted gas light in the gennel and the constant noise and smell of the factory and river.
His family always called them Primrose Cottages but according to some archive stuff I've found they were called Little London cottages.

Below, also a photo taken from the Little London end as you emerge from under the bridge, just as the entire site was about to be cleared. This pic from summer of 1989.

Tyzacks 6 Sum 1989.jpg

As youngsters, Heeley baths was our regular Saturday morning swimming session. We got the number 33 to Chesterfield Road and worked our way down to the gennel and bridge you refer to. Can't remember how old we were, but I can't imagine parents these days allowing their kids to go to places like this on their own like we were.

That gennel through Tyzacks had a wonderful smell :)
I always remember that smell. Went to Carfield School and walked either down or back from Heeley Baths (school couldn't afford the bus both ways)..

The day I did the half mile for the first time I got lucky as it took me so long I overlapped the next lesson and got the bus back as well as down....

I always remember that smell. Went to Carfield School and walked either down or back from Heeley Baths (school couldn't afford the bus both ways)..

The day I did the half mile for the first time I got lucky as it took me so long I overlapped the next lesson and got the bus back as well as down....
36 lengths of the baths for a little badge with '880' on it that your mum could stitch to your trunks. I'd forgotten all about that:)

36 lengths of the baths for a little badge with '880' on it that your mum could stitch to your trunks. I'd forgotten all about that:)

Abbeydale Juniors swimming team 1960- 61. A couple of the lesser swimming badges on display. Actually a couple of the lads on there could swim like fish. I'm on that photo, but I wasn't one of the fish. :)003 (4) - Copy.jpg

Looking towards town from Hyde Park Flats in late 1969. I have scanned a lot of my photographs in quite a high resolution. This means I am able to zoom in and still find a lot of detail. This is cropped from a larger image. You can see Park Picture Palace, which is a place I attended regularlyView attachment 89390 as a kid.

On the right hand side of the photo,just below the Berni Inn is a white painted shop front. Pretty sure that was Bunney's which has been discussed somewhere on this thread.

As a teenager Bunney's was part of your shopping trip along with Ray Allan, Sexy Rexy, Harringtons, Tramps

On the right hand side of the photo,just below the Berni Inn is a white painted shop front. Pretty sure that was Bunney's which has been discussed somewhere on this thread.

As a teenager Bunney's was part of your shopping trip along with Ray Allan, Sexy Rexy, Harringtons, Tramps

Harrington’s.. climbing the ladder to try on your jeans in the upstairs bit .. can you imagine that now with H & S , assessments etc 😂

Bunneys was at the other end of the Market.

There was a clothes shop where you said but l can never remember the name. It became the first Western Jean Store later.

IMG_3906.JPG

Bunneys was at the other end of the Market.

There was a clothes shop where you said but l can never remember the name. It became the first Western Jean Store later.

View attachment 89455

Wasn't Western Jean company on Fargate - near to entrance of what's now Orchard Square.

Looking at that photo - do you remember a shop across the road from Castle Market called Colvins?

Wasn't Western Jean company on Fargate - near to entrance of what's now Orchard Square.

Looking at that photo - do you remember a shop across the road from Castle Market called Colvins?

WJC moved to there later.

Colvins, yes. The other one l first remember was Winstons on Snig Hill.

IMG_3909.JPG

Colvins was on the the corner of Pinstone Street and I think, Charles Street. It was later called Bird Cage and Young Rascals. The shop you're thinking of was Tramps on King Street. I had a Saturday job at Tramps back in the mid 70's (I inherited the job from my brother) - think I used to get a fiver, which paid for a night out down town. Remember Keith Edwards coming into Tramps to by some clobber -it was all long leather coats, Starsky jumpers, Falmers jeans and Brutus shirts back then. Both shops were owned by Alec Colvin, who was big in the rag trade back then. Think he was based over Stockport way. Not very interesting....but you did ask!

Colvins was on the the corner of Pinstone Street and I think, Charles Street. It was later called Bird Cage and Young Rascals. The shop you're thinking of was Tramps on King Street. I had a Saturday job at Tramps back in the mid 70's (I inherited the job from my brother) - think I used to get a fiver, which paid for a night out down town. Remember Keith Edwards coming into Tramps to by some clobber -it was all long leather coats, Starsky jumpers, Falmers jeans and Brutus shirts back then. Both shops were owned by Alec Colvin, who was big in the rag trade back then. Think he was based over Stockport way. Not very interesting....but you did ask!
WJC moved to there later.

Colvins, yes. The other one l first remember was Winstons on Snig Hill.
Ooops. That Colvin shop pre dates my era. They must have moved down to Pinstone Street, but not sure when. Sorry!
View attachment 89466

They moved a couple of times iirc.

Later seventies there was a really good men's clothes shop on the opposite side of King Street, just below the original Chelsea Girl shop. Do you remember that?

Back
Top Bottom