Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cambridge_Street_Sportsman.jpg

Replaced by Zeugma as best kebab award, nearer on London Road too.

The 2 door coupe 1256cc weapon would have been the Firenza, this "cooking" example is indeed an HC Viva. Not from Bentleys either.

Interesting thing also is on the left opposite Debenhams it is a building site, they have recently knocked the building they are about to build down to be replaced by another new building, how many time have we seen 60/70/80's buildings replaced in our city centre, wonder how long the new building will last.

Interesting thing also is on the left opposite Debenhams it is a building site, they have recently knocked the building they are about to build down to be replaced by another new building, how many time have we seen 60/70/80's buildings replaced in our city centre, wonder how long the new building will last.
The one that's been taking down was in a bad condition and needed to go, unlike the ones which next door which are being refurbished as we speak.

The Showroom cinema, Sheffield's only independent and it's a charity too so all profits from the bar and office rental go to subsidising one of the widest film ranges in the North of England.

If you can see past some of the art house crap, it's a great place to watch a film. Local real ales in a bar with a nice friendly vibe. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would schlep out to Centretainmment/Meadowhell to sit with a gang of kids eating buckets of popcorn and playing on their phones.

Other cinemas are available........

.....they are just a bit shitter.

A cracking pic. My gran used to live on the top floor of the left-hand tower block (Leverton Gardens) - top left corner. When the big fire was raging at Arnold Laver's (year Silent Blade ?) people were knocking on her door all night for a grandstand view.
I think the fire was 1967. I remember seeing it from miles away coming home having been to Newcastle. Was on the M18 at the time if I remember correctly.

Taken from Hyde Park overlooking Bernard Street flats. Park Hill and the city centre and beyond.

Doesn't it all look clean and tidy? In fact I've been looking at some of these photos I've posted, especially the ones around the university, trying to work out why they look like they do and I think I've worked it out. It's the lack of street furniture that gives that tidy look, hardly any signage up, traffic lights, crossings. Some will say, health and safety overload, though probably more the claim culture, leading to signage and stuff everywhere.

tumblr_ojxzwmVOSR1s86t3ro1_1280.jpg

Doesn't it all look clean and tidy? In fact I've been looking at some of these photos I've posted, especially the ones around the university, trying to work out why they look like they do and I think I've worked it out. It's the lack of street furniture that gives that tidy look, hardly any signage up, traffic lights, crossings. Some will say, health and safety overload, though probably more the claim culture, leading to signage and stuff everywhere.

View attachment 46480
There are virtually no cars or people in that photo. That’s why it looks ‘clean’ imo

The Showroom cinema, Sheffield's only independent and it's a charity too so all profits from the bar and office rental go to subsidising one of the widest film ranges in the North of England.

If you can see past some of the art house crap, it's a great place to watch a film. Local real ales in a bar with a nice friendly vibe. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would schlep out to Centretainmment/Meadowhell to sit with a gang of kids eating buckets of popcorn and playing on their phones.

Other cinemas are available........

.....they are just a bit shitter.
Don't go to the pictures regularly but do go to the Showroom if possible. Last thing we saw there was a Miles Davis biopic.
BTW I like a bit of art house shit now and then

View attachment 46480
It may be rose tinted glasses and nostalgia, but I remember it BEING clean and tidy. There was like a post-war heyday, for me from the mid-60's to the early 80's, after they cleared the bombsites, the new concrete and glass shops were shiny, and the hole in the road was so ahead of anything grubby, grimy Leeds, Manchester or Birmingham had to offer. We had the cleanest air too! And Redgates, and more department stores than anywhere outside London (yes, really), and the best illuminations outside Blackpool! And for most of that time United weren't bad either (and Wednesday were not very good). Oh for a time machine!

It may be rose tinted glasses and nostalgia, but I remember it BEING clean and tidy. There was like a post-war heyday, for me from the mid-60's to the early 80's, after they cleared the bombsites, the new concrete and glass shops were shiny, and the hole in the road was so ahead of anything grubby, grimy Leeds, Manchester or Birmingham had to offer. We had the cleanest air too! And Redgates, and more department stores than anywhere outside London (yes, really), and the best illuminations outside Blackpool! And for most of that time United weren't bad either (and Wednesday were not very good). Oh for a time machine!

It could even be a city on the move.....

Though I’m not sure the effect of Thatchers wands and wicked spells on Sheffield North East were a rosy...

It could even be a city on the move.....

Though I’m not sure the effect of Thatchers wands and wicked spells on Sheffield North East were a rosy...
That's when the rot set in. Like other northern cities we were screwed by the evil witch. Unlike some others, our local leaders thought a third rate Olympics and a shopping centre 6 miles out of town would sort it. The city centre has never recovered, and probably never will, at least as a place to shop. Good for boozing and eating though!

View attachment 46480

Just how did we manage to get around without signs on every other lamp post and traffic lights every 100metres? No wonder the city looks scruffy and cluttered./

Taken from Hyde Park overlooking Bernard Street flats. Park Hill and the city centre and beyond.
We used to call it BardyLand. :) Bard Street Flats, Bernard Buildings and Stepney Buildings. It was rumoured that one of the families on Bard St had no internal doors. They'd all been used for firewood. The good old days.

Back
Top Bottom