Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

True. But mystified why we didn’t go for a cantilever roof when we refurbished the Kip.

Agree, get rid of those pillars and we’re fine. Perhaps put another deck above the kop when we can both afford it and fill it?
we didnt because it was done on the cheap as was everything at the lane at that time

It was. Stocksbridge to Barnsley bus for us then train to town. 22,000 there if I remember correctly.
For reasons completely unknown, I have had the number 22380 stuck in my head all these intervening near 40 years.

It felt like a made up number on the day and still feels like it 40 years later. Way more in the ground than that. Got my dad at that match and that was a very rare sight indeed. If he was there, it was way more than 22000.

True. But mystified why we didn’t go for a cantilever roof when we refurbished the Kip.

Agree, get rid of those pillars and we’re fine. Perhaps put another deck above the kop when we can both afford it and fill it?
It was done quickly,as cheaply as possible & wasn't meant to be long term

Press photo. On the back it says United vs Mansfield. Any ideas of the year?

UTB
FA Cup, 4th round replay, Jan 31, 1951? Lost 2-1, crowd 20374. Great photo, looks as if the defence needs some coaching, we have 4 defenders, they have 3 attackers, all unmarked… Burgin, Furness and Latham recognisable to me (it was before my time).

FA Cup, 4th round replay, Jan 31, 1951? Lost 2-1, crowd 20374. Great photo, looks as if the defence needs some coaching, we have 4 defenders, they have 3 attackers, all unmarked… Burgin, Furness and Latham recognisable to me (it was before my time).
Harry Lathams got some meyt on him theer , who is 6 in them fancy shorts tho ?

Harry Lathams got some meyt on him theer , who is 6 in them fancy shorts tho ?
If it is the replay, then Number 6 was a rare outing for Jack Fountain. In the first game, number 6 was Harold Brook.

Press photo. On the back it says United vs Mansfield. Any ideas of the year?

UTB
Great photo 'drb' just up my street, was eight at the time, not able to go most games at this point but a committed blade especially in't schoolyard wi' a tennis ball.
Spot on 'HBT', Blades LtoR Fountain 6, Latham, Furness, Cox 3, Burgin.
3rd R, beat Gateshead 1-0 at the Lane, Sir James scoring the goal.
United's only 8th season in the 2nd Division at that point.

Hi hankyou for some sanity today Bert.
Bought most of us back from self destruction.
Unfortunately there were no cameras around when pigs took 3000 to Raquel Welch.

Back
Top Bottom