Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Hawkeye, what about the other photo?
3-1 win over Leeds, January 26, 1957. Crowd 9512 - it was 4th round Cup day, we’d been knocked out after 2 replays with Huddersfield, but there was no belief in giving the players a rest, so a Friendly with Leeds (oxymoron) was arranged. Gerry Hewitt made his debut (I have never heard of him), and he moved to Workington after 2 appearances. Probably because having Hewitt and Howitt in the same team was confusing🤣

3-1 win over Leeds, January 26, 1957. Crowd 9512 - it was 4th round Cup day, we’d been knocked out after 2 replays with Huddersfield, but there was no belief in giving the players a rest, so a Friendly with Leeds (oxymoron) was arranged. Gerry Hewitt made his debut (I have never heard of him), and he moved to Workington after 2 appearances. Probably because having Hewitt and Howitt in the same team was confusing
Nail on the head, as the say.
In the photo, I was unsure who the player on the far left was, Logged as a right half, together with the position on the pitch in the photo seems it almost certainly is Gerry Hewitt.
Sheffield born he made two league apps.
1957, Feb2 H V Blackburn L 0-2 & Feb16 H V Bristol Rovers D 0-0 and joined Workington June 1958.

Doesn’t look like Frainy to me but could be wrong, I’ve known him for around 35 years and I never knew he was a pig? Can’t wait to bump into him as he kept that quiet, although I have never asked him as I just assumed he was another Meersbrook Blade.
Nope. Owl through and through. Ask him where he was standing on the day of the Boxing Day massacre 😉

Also ask him how many of the marathon Wednesday v Arsenal FA Cup tie games he went to. I think he attended all 5 !

Last edited:
Just Jamie Hoyland. Frain not in the photo, we signed Frain from Dronfield United
Interesting. I know he played for Sheffield Club in his late teens didn’t realised he moved to Dronfield United before moving to The Lane. After S2 I believe he became a Stockport County legend 😐

Interesting. I know he played for Sheffield Club in his late teens didn’t realised he moved to Dronfield United before moving to The Lane. After S2 I believe he became a Stockport County legend 😐
Dronfield United played at the Coach and Horses ground in the mid 1980s after Norton Woodseats decided the name change to try and attract the Dronfield public. It didn't work and then Norton Woodseats decided to revert back to their name, carried on for a few years before folding. Then Sheffield club took over the ground in the 1990s. Don't think Frainy played for Sheffield club

Dronfield United played at the Coach and Horses ground in the mid 1980s after Norton Woodseats decided the name change to try and attract the Dronfield public. It didn't work and then Norton Woodseats decided to revert back to their name, carried on for a few years before folding. Then Sheffield club took over the ground in the 1990s. Don't think Frainy played for Sheffield club
I think David Frain played for Sheffield FC at their Abbeydale base in the early 80s. 82/83 season I think.

Nope. Owl through and through. Ask him where he was standing on the day of the Boxing Day massacre 😉

Also ask him how many of the marathon Wednesday v Arsenal FA Cup tie games he went to. I think he attended all 5 !
Irrelevant I know....but....
I was on Wednesday 's kop for BDM (worst experience of my football life 😞).
And also attended 4 out of the 5 pig v Arsenal FA cup marathon and I'm a Blade through and through (honest guv 🙂).

Bobby Moore didn't play in the match as he was recovering from the op to remove a testicle that was cancerous
Haven't we been down this road a while ago SB, or maybe it was approached from a different angle. The testicle rings a bell.

Back
Top Bottom