Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

January 1962. Just to confirm what you say, Hodgson did not play that day (details are in the 60 Years Ago thread)
Even though ‘Doc’ was my blades hero of that era,i have to confess that little Billy Hodgson was probably my favourite player,a real dynamo with an eye for goal…..happy memories.

Even though ‘Doc’ was my blades hero of that era,i have to confess that little Billy Hodgson was probably my favourite player,a real dynamo with an eye for goal…..happy memories.
(Shameless advertising) The 60 Years Ago thread has about 10 minutes of video of the 2-1 win at Villa in September 1962. I posted it yesterday. Includes cheeky intervention by Pace to create the 2nd goal, and several good bits of play from Hodgson, including where he dribbles round everyone, but slips in the mud as he is about to tap it in! The mudlark falls foul of the mud🤣

Found my 92/93 scrapbook of United cuttings. Thought some edited highlights might be of interest. My young one found the concept of making the scrapbook an alien one!

Attachments

• 4361324E-32DE-4833-B6C9-688CE89FF59F.jpeg
    4361324E-32DE-4833-B6C9-688CE89FF59F.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 51
  • 4CCB840C-EF66-4D94-A9B1-A6B737F5CBBA.jpeg
    4CCB840C-EF66-4D94-A9B1-A6B737F5CBBA.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 2E7F1FDA-C717-42ED-B5CC-AAE1899AE0F6.jpeg
    2E7F1FDA-C717-42ED-B5CC-AAE1899AE0F6.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 46
  • 38859A8C-E866-4F25-8424-FDE59B3135BD.jpeg
    38859A8C-E866-4F25-8424-FDE59B3135BD.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 47
  • BD9E9A2C-A21E-450B-9A5A-763E0F3830EE.jpeg
    BD9E9A2C-A21E-450B-9A5A-763E0F3830EE.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 50
Found my 92/93 scrapbook of United cuttings. Thought some edited highlights might be of interest. My young one found the concept of making the scrapbook an alien one!
Love it. Will have a closer look this evening. You tell your young ‘un that it is worth it just to see Steve Bruce scratching his head wondering how Jamie Hoyland scored🤣

Anyone know who this is, kit looks 75ish

Attachments

• IMG-20220903-WA0029.jpg
    IMG-20220903-WA0029.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 21
Anyone know who this is, kit looks 75ish
I think it's Roy/Mick? Hill. By the time I vaguely knew him , he was playing for our BT Works League team in the 80's.
It was said that he'd played for Sheff Utd but only made it to the reserves. I don't know if it was injury or the nature of the selection process which led him to BT.
Nice lad - and his natural ability stood head and shoulders above anyone else in our team.

I think it's Roy/Mick? Hill. By the time I vaguely knew him , he was playing for our BT Works League team in the 80's.
It was said that he'd played for Sheff Utd but only made it to the reserves. I don't know if it was injury or the nature of the selection process which led him to BT.
Nice lad - and his natural ability stood head and shoulders above anyone else in our team.
Thanks, didn't have a clue myself

Got to hold my hands up on that one. Getting Billy Russell and Hodgson mixed up, age must be taking its toll.
Our kids giving me some reight stick.
If it makes you feel better, I am posting a picture tomorrow with a United player who has a fine head of dark hair; the caption says it is Kettleborough🤣

The old and the new.
A perfect contrast.
I honestly believe the pavilion should have been save and utilised for the benefit of the club and city in general.
Looking at the photo there still seems to be ample room left for a sizable car park
It was a historical cricket building with the birth and formation of YCCC and including all their famous players, who used it. not to mention all the visiting players, which must read like an AtoZ of the history of world cricket.
Couldn't someone have sold that, making it a visitor attraction, plus the Blades museum and club shop etc.

I honestly believe the pavilion should have been save and utilised for the benefit of the club and city in general.
Looking at the photo there still seems to be ample room left for a sizable car park
It was a historical cricket building with the birth and formation of YCCC and including all their famous players, who used it. not to mention all the visiting players, which must read like an AtoZ of the history of world cricket.
Couldn't someone have sold that, making it a visitor attraction, plus the Blades museum and club shop etc.
I agree entirely! Not least because the occasion of my dad's first visit to the Lane was for Yorkshire v the Australians in 1938. Demolishing it was an act or wanton vandalism.

Back
Top Bottom