Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I have the same picture, pride of place of all my united pictures. I knew your dad quite well really sorry to hear of his death, sorry for your loss. He was a really nice guy, didn't he open up on Abbeydale Road near the gatefield in partnership with another guy? View attachment 115412

I also have the same picture taking pride of place on one of my walls here in Cork. People visiting always admire and get a great kick out of it. I stood in that corner for the infamous game against Hull in the 71 promotion season, thought we'd blown it,how wrong was l.
Your Dad was truly gifted and it must fill you with pride to think how many Blades homes have one or two pictures on their walls

That must have been part of that P10, W8, D2, L0 sequence - where in the first 4 games of that season, including Arsenal, we beat 3 of the previous 3 league champions.

...........and then Georgie (Best, .......carries a handbag and wears a bra) did us at Old Trafford in the 11th !

UTB

I was on board a ship in the Atlantic ocean. when that result came over the radio.
I doubled checked it was correct.i was over the moon.
was in the buccaneer that night and heard score in there before ambling down to the blue bell for last orders 🍺

Yes, BOSS, I reckon Billy Graham did appear at The Lane and ,as you say, perhaps The Boss as well. I think the OP asked about different sports but there must have been quite a few from other fields of endeavour.
Springsteen was there for two nights, and I got to see them both each time for free, possibly the best two concerts I have seen
Think Billy Graham was on for at least 5 nights running, I was working security, and it was packed every night.

I have the same picture, pride of place of all my united pictures. I knew your dad quite well really sorry to hear of his death, sorry for your loss. He was a really nice guy, didn't he open up on Abbeydale Road near the gatefield in partnership with another guy? View attachment 115412
Yes that's right. He had a salon on Eccleshall road and then on Abbeydale road with his business partner, Graham Bower. It was called William and Graham. Nice to hear your message.

All those houses on Bramall Lane & Asline Rd were demolished some time after the photo.
James Cycles to left and right, out of photo, with The Belgrave Medical Centre on right of Asline Rd, looking as photo, sports centre on left, as is now.
I worked with a fella who lived in one of those houses on left on BL, a Blade, only person I've ever known to fill both criteria.
Believe it or not, he was a great bloke also, you can't make these things up, it's just part of the territory.

I lived on Asline Rd for the first 4/5 years of my life , some great shops on there before demolition, a real live pawnbrokers ( with 3 balls outside.! ) another one was a sort of sell-all shop that we as kids were allowed to potter around in before buying something for two pence.
There was an off licence shop that the chap next door used to go to with his own jug to get a pint or two and then drink at home,

I was on board a ship in the Atlantic ocean. when that result came over the radio.
I doubled checked it was correct.i was over the moon.
I was on a ferry from Liverpool to Dublin and asked a passenger if they knew what the score was.....isn't it amazing how one can remember snippets like that yet each year i can't for the life of me ever remember which day in August my wife's birthday is!

I was on a ferry from Liverpool to Dublin and asked a passenger if they knew what the score was.....isn't it amazing how one can remember snippets like that yet each year i can't for the life of me ever remember which day in August my wife's birthday is!
I suffer a similar affliction. I have a long list of (ex) girlfriends who have been somewhat irked by my tendency to get the most important day in their life wrong whilst being able to tell them that my first match was United v Liverpool, October 30th 1971, Currie and Keegan scored.

"But dearest, I remembered that your birthday was either the day before my mum's or the day after my mum's." That was an annual argument we had.

I lived on Asline Rd for the first 4/5 years of my life , some great shops on there before demolition, a real live pawnbrokers ( with 3 balls outside.! ) another one was a sort of sell-all shop that we as kids were allowed to potter around in before buying something for two pence.
There was an off licence shop that the chap next door used to go to with his own jug to get a pint or two and then drink at home,
Testing my memory here BH. I think the "pop shop" (pawnbrokers) was on the corner of Holland road, also, doubled as a bookies runner, as bookmakers were illigal in those days. My mother used to buy us plimsolls from there, but always wore a headscarf and glasses when she went in, I think she also had 6d on a horse while she was in there, but the bet was always for someone else.Other side of Holland road was a fishing tackle shop that had several barrels full of maggots and sawdust as you walked in
The off license I remember at the London road end of Asline road was called Turleys, nest door was Mrs Briggs paper shop. In the mid 50s the surrounding streets were our playground.
Happy carefree days

Back
Top Bottom