Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes the team was 1. Lievesley 2. Benson 3. Johnson C. 4. McGuire 5. Wilkinson 6. Needham 7. Thompson 8. McCormack 9. Brown 10. Bluff 11. Lipsham

Squad photo that season

View attachment 113743
Many thanks SB, got to admit I didn't know anything about Joe. Evidently took over from WF. Big boots to fill, so to speak.
According to Wiki he came from a family of pro footballers. Seems he had a hard time personally, contacted tuberculosis trying to revive his son which subsequently attributed to his death.
Sad story indeed.

Many thanks SB, got to admit I didn't know anything about Joe. Evidently took over from WF. Big boots to fill, so to speak.
According to Wiki he came from a family of pro footballers. Seems he had a hard time personally, contacted tuberculosis trying to revive his son which subsequently attributed to his death.
Sad story indeed.
His other son, Les, was a coach for the famous Torino team and died in the 1949 plane crash

I remember my dad saying that the 1959 FA Cup final between Forest and Luton was boring
It was certainly the least compelling of the finals I saw in the 50s. It did not quite grab the emotions of the neutral like the other ones, and there were lots of hold-ups for injuries. But it had some interest. It was the first time either side had been in the Cup Final. There was the drama of Elton John’s cousin (not that we knew Elton John at the time) scoring a goal, but then breaking his leg a few minutes later. Forest were 2-0 up, but then conceded, and the 10 men had to hang on for the 2-1 win. But the game did not hit the heights of previous years.

It was certainly the least compelling of the finals I saw in the 50s. It did not quite grab the emotions of the neutral like the other ones, and there were lots of hold-ups for injuries. But it had some interest. It was the first time either side had been in the Cup Final. There was the drama of Elton John’s cousin (not that we knew Elton John at the time) scoring a goal, but then breaking his leg a few minutes later. Forest were 2-0 up, but then conceded, and the 10 men had to hang on for the 2-1 win. But the game did not hit the heights of previous years.
somebody always seemed to break a leg in the cup final in that era the wembley hoodoo as it was known

S%20Jokanovic.jpg

😍

somebody always seemed to break a leg in the cup final in that era the wembley hoodoo as it was known
I think as a kid I thought it was the ‘Wembley voodoo’! Whatever it was, I wanted United to get to Wembley and take their chances with the hoodoo. Many years later, we started to go to Wembley for semi-finals and play-off finals - it felt like a Wembley hoodoo every time!

I think as a kid I thought it was the ‘Wembley voodoo’! Whatever it was, I wanted United to get to Wembley and take their chances with the hoodoo. Many years later, we started to go to Wembley for semi-finals and play-off finals - it felt like a Wembley hoodoo every time!
apart from the cup runs in the late 50s early 60s our best chance of getting there was in 68 when we played leeds off the park at elland road in the quarter final think we would have gone all the way that year if we had won that game

Slavisa Jokanovic-17.jpg Got mi wish lets hope it turns into a golden coach.

1906 Empire Day What does the E R A mean (2).jpgA nice , if not very clear view of BDTBL 1906. I was wondering what the E R &A stood for but it just dawned on me it's Edward & Alexandrea with the R being Rex as in king ,monarch.
Anyhow, good to see the configuration of the ground at that time. The score board can be seen, just right of centre, Shoreham St. side, and at the front of the terracing or on the boundary.
Members of my generation and a little younger will remember that score board being at the back of the terracing.
1911 Coronation pageant shows it on the boundary and identical to the one I remember as a kid1911 June22-6 (2).jpgand another same pageant for conformation1911 June22-9 (2).jpgIn the preceding 40years it moved, though identical, to the rear of the terracing1940's-late to early 50's Note new section of JSS rebilt after blitz of Dec 1940 (2).jpg

Fantastic photos XM657 !

I hadn’t realised quite how ramshackle the ground was in those early days, about six different disconnected stands. Also, in 2021, a view of anywhere from above taken by drone is common.

In 1906, was it an aeroplane or a tethered ballon? Either way, somebody had the vision to commission aerial photographs.

Edit: I realise now, the last one is much later, post war.

Fantastic photos XM657 !

I hadn’t realised quite how ramshackle the ground was in those early days, about six different disconnected stands. Also, in 2021, a view of anywhere from above taken by drone is common.

In 1906, was it an aeroplane or a tethered ballon? Either way, somebody had the vision to commission aerial photographs.

Edit: I realise now, the last one is much later, post war.
I was regaled stories of yore about the doings of the Blades, from my grandfather, of his times and his fathers times. My great grandfather George being the one who started this crazy switchback, using mi G/father's word for roller coaster, ride.
Having all this information, or what remains in the old grey matter, I find the early photos of the Lane fascinating, knowing this was how they saw the ground.
The 1911 photo, Shoreham St side, maybe the photo was taken at a time when work was in progress, or even that area had never been developed, at that time.
I would substitute ramshackle with evolving for the c1950 photo, though I do see your point. Spectator comfort wasn't priority at that time though there was plenty of cover for the bad weather days.
As a kid what did impressed me was how tidy and well presented every thing was, and I found that in turn gave some pride in supporting the club.
It has evolved a long way since 1950 and hopefully will do so into the future.

His other son, Les, was a coach for the famous Torino team and died in the 1949 plane crash

A few years ago I went up there on the out skirts of Turin, I did post some pictures of the mormorial site on here, can't remember the thread name.
Many scarves of other clubs laid or hung up there.

A few years ago I went up there on the out skirts of Turin, I did post some pictures of the mormorial site on here, can't remember the thread name.
Many scarves of other clubs laid or hung up there.
They are still on my phone, 10th Jan 2019

Attachments

• 20190110_120254.jpg
    20190110_120254.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190110_121319.jpg
    20190110_121319.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190110_121332.jpg
    20190110_121332.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190110_121522.jpg
    20190110_121522.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190110_122216.jpg
    20190110_122216.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 20

View attachment 113924A nice , if not very clear view of BDTBL 1906. I was wondering what the E R &A stood for but it just dawned on me it's Edward & Alexandrea with the R being Rex as in king ,monarch.
Anyhow, good to see the configuration of the ground at that time. The score board can be seen, just right of centre, Shoreham St. side, and at the front of the terracing or on the boundary.
Members of my generation and a little younger will remember that score board being at the back of the terracing.
1911 Coronation pageant shows it on the boundary and identical to the one I remember as a kidView attachment 113925and another same pageant for conformationView attachment 113926In the preceding 40years it moved, though identical, to the rear of the terracingView attachment 113928
I’m fairly certain XM that there was also a scoreboard incorporated in the BL end roof at the end towards the pavilion.

Back
Top Bottom