Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The little curly hair lad is Mark Bramwell (Brammy). He climbed up the floodlight pylon at Cambridge in May 1979, police told him to come down, he came down but managed to evade the Policemen trying to arrest him by nipping through the crowd and the Blades fans were making sure he was out of sight!
Amazing how certain days trigger memories.

I was the 2nd team scorer for our cricket club that day, away at Sandersons. I was 15 and didn't break in to the men's team til the year after.

All their team, and most of ours, were Wednesday fans and they ripped the piss out of me without mercy on our relegation to the 3rd tier.

Honestly, I can still feel how bad I felt that day.

The game you are referring to was a FA Cup 3rd round replay after a 1-1 draw at Hillsborough & United lost 1-3 on 13 January 1954.

For your information I quote the following " Kenny speaking of the sending off incident in the 1954 FA Cup replay at Bramall Lane said "I never touched Hagan. If I had he wouldn't have played for a month ! I think Colin Rawson had curled a free-kick towards our goal and, anticipating where the ball was dropping, I got there just before jimmy, but he fell as if I'd caught him. I couldn't believe it when I was sent off, but you didn't argue in those days. I went straight to the dressing room, which meant I missed seeing the goals that won the game". Someone noted that the "battle" between Kenny & Hagan had started in the first game when the pair were lectured; & also recalled a free-kick which Hagan had hit straight at Kenny (leaving him doubled up in pain) when the Owls back failed to retreat.

I trust that this is the game you are referring to in your post & it was the first "Derby" match I saw as a young 6 year old & I can just remember the incident !
I went to the Hillsborough game, mentioned in a previous post, and had thought I didn't go to the Lane because I was at school, but if you were six probably it was Christmas holidays still. The reason must have been there was no one to take me (no money) because of work.
Good attendance, at Lane, for a Tuesday afternoon, few shy of 41000.
Going back to Hagan, breaking a leg and being sent off episodes.
I do believe what has been said here, but to show how events get confused over time or in a kids mind. Bearing in mind I wasn't at either event but was regaled of match events when adults returned from matches I didn't attend.
Hagan broke a Swansea players leg after eh had kicked Jimmy up hill and down dale. He did it by putting his boot/foot behind the ball as the player kicked the ball. Was sent off but after much wrangling he was allowed back on as it couldn't be proved it was dangerous play.
To borrow a phrase, "I'll get mi coat".

Blades v Leicester semi final 1961
Doc pace doing his thing
Excellent, more please, Thank you.
Photo two, Portsmouth, April 16 1960, draw 0-0. Portsmouth wore red soxs that season but wore the ones shown when colour clash occurred.
Doc L, Billy Hodgson R, United player in background guessing Hamilton after looking at team that played.

Excellent, more please, Thank you.
Photo two, Portsmouth, April 16 1960, draw 0-0. Portsmouth wore red soxs that season but wore the ones shown when colour clash occurred.
Doc L, Billy Hodgson R, United player in background guessing Hamilton after looking at team that played.

Attachments

• 6287C666-BB18-4DCE-B8FB-6640CA9A5123.jpeg
    6287C666-BB18-4DCE-B8FB-6640CA9A5123.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 4A7D1CCA-6EEA-493B-9C7F-32EA9ACBD235.jpeg
    4A7D1CCA-6EEA-493B-9C7F-32EA9ACBD235.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 964F94AE-6428-4791-A9E9-ED7D1481FEF6.jpeg
    964F94AE-6428-4791-A9E9-ED7D1481FEF6.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 80

Don’t fancy the chances of the linesman in the 1st photo getting the offside correct - he’s not exactly in line with the last defender!

Big punch up every time Bert was on that terrace. 1971/72 especially.
yeah was on there in 67 and 71 however in 76 the 6 of us in mini bus stopped at a local boozer to be told by the landlord the city ground was 15 minutes away an hour later we got in on the open end at 3.20 to find we were already 2 down lol

Brilliant Bp, the ones of the Lane, as it was at that time, don't half stir the old grey matter.
Harry (Scodger) Latham photo brought a tear to the eye ,as it was my view of games from round about1950 to late late 1970's. Never thought I would see it again, Thank You for posting it.
Remember seeing Scodge playing when Earnest Jackson was trainer from that position. Loved to see them shoot out the dugout, hand into bucket for sponge in old bladder, and as they ran to the injured player, arm held straight and away from the body, water would trail behind, quite a sight and a memory your photo brought back for me.
A big Thanks to your dad, a very perceptive man.

you were safer up there bert as i remember big punch up on that big side terrace that day 😉
Seeing Directors Box ;side terrace and punch ups reminds me of a absolute belter that kicked off in The John Street stand when only the back of it was seated. Against Aston Villa very early 70s or even late 69. Been lots of argy Bargy on the Kop most of the game which United won 3 or 4 -1?. All of a sudden in the seated area the cushions you could hire where flying all over the stand; then about 20 or 30 grandads where launching fists and falling all over the seating , pretty sure it spread into the Directors section, proper Keystone cops moment . Of course all of this was much amusement to the hooligans on the Kop , both sets of fans chanting; “ Grandad;Grandad knock him out”. Funny how certain words bring up memories.

Brilliant Bp, the ones of the Lane, as it was at that time, don't half stir the old grey matter.
Harry (Scodger) Latham photo brought a tear to the eye ,as it was my view of games from round about1950 to late late 1970's. Never thought I would see it again, Thank You for posting it.
Remember seeing Scodge playing when Earnest Jackson was trainer from that position. Loved to see them shoot out the dugout, hand into bucket for sponge in old bladder, and as they ran to the injured player, arm held straight and away from the body, water would trail behind, quite a sight and a memory your photo brought back for me.
thanks for your kind words , I too remember Harry running on water bucket splashing don’t know what was in water but soon had em back on their feet not like today ay ? I have a vivid memory of Ronny Simpson running up and down left wing never seemed to leave line ha ha outside Ron I think we called him. Good memories.

Anybody know the first year we had Christmas lights, did we borrow them from Blackpool?. I certainly remember mid 60s when they stretched from the bottom of the Moor to the Castle Market

I know we borrowed some fairly recently, the Astronaut and Dalek were in the Peace Gardens

Seeing Directors Box ;side terrace and punch ups reminds me of a absolute belter that kicked off in The John Street stand when only the back of it was seated. Against Aston Villa very early 70s or even late 69. Been lots of argy Bargy on the Kop most of the game which United won 3 or 4 -1?. All of a sudden in the seated area the cushions you could hire where flying all over the stand; then about 20 or 30 grandads where launching fists and falling all over the seating , pretty sure it spread into the Directors section, proper Keystone cops moment . Of course all of this was much amusement to the hooligans on the Kop , both sets of fans chanting; “ Grandad;Grandad knock him out”. Funny how certain words bring up memories.
August 1968 (won 3-1) or November 1969 (won 5-0). Next home game after that was February 1976

Back
Top Bottom